Why a 1st gen Tundra might be the best deal out there

2005LJ

Years ago I had a 2000 Tundra access cab and I loved that truck. I drove it everywhere happily for years and then one day a teen driver lost control of her car and crossed the centerline and totaled both of our vehicles. I walked away without a scratch (another reason to love the truck) and I really don’t know why I didn’t get another one. I think that by then they had increased the size of the tundras and I didn’t want or need a truck that big.

A few years back I heard that Toyota had put out a frame recall on the first gen Tundra and I decided to keep my eye out for one that had had its frame replaced.

IMHO the first gen Tundras are oft overlooked due to the popularity of their little brothers, the Tacoma’s. The Taco is a great little truck, but they are so popular that they bring often unreasonable prices when sold used. What I think that many miss is that the first gen Tundra was a mid sized truck and about the same size as a new Tacoma.

Here is where the Tundra becomes a steal. Apparently part of the frame replacement deal is that Toyota would install any parts that they would have to put back on the truck upon Re-assembly FOR FREE as long as the customer provided the part.

So a about a month ago I decided to more actively look for a good tundra and a couple weeks back I found this...

It’s a 2003 access cab 4x4 with almost 200k on the clock, but just about all that is from 2003 on this truck is the sheet metal and the drive train (which has been almost obsessively maintained). I was pleasantly surprised soon after purchase to learn that she is equipped with a factory tow package that includes a high amp alternator and secondary tranny cooler. The interior is in perfect shape.

I paid under $5k for this thing and the only sign of rust on it was some surface stuff on the rear diff. Today I wire brushed and applied POR15 to that so now the whole thing is stupid clean.

Here is what was done for her recently.
New frame!
Also done at time of frame replacement:
Timing belt / timing belt guides/ water pump
New radiator
Drive / accessory belts
Fuel tank bands
Leaf spring shackles
Brake rotors, calipers, rear drums all pads & brake hardware
New e brake system
All Brake lines
All Fuel lines
Steering rack
Upper and lower ball joints
Both Lower control arms
Load sensing Brake Proportioning valves
Spare tire carrier assembly
Drive shaft u joints

Also done in the last 2 years by the PO:
New Exhaust- cat back
B&G service fluid swaps on every fluid in the truck.
A/c flush
A/C compressor bracket

I put the 4Runner Trail wheels and BFG AT KO2s in 275 75 r17 on her. I already had those on my 99 4runner but they fit better on the Tundra.

The 4.7l turns those up-sized tires without a thought in fact I need to put some weight in the bed because I keep accidentally chirping the tires upon takeoff since I’m used to much less powerful V6 engines.

Haven’t really planned the build yet. Honestly she needs very little. I’m leaning towards focusing on a low profile pop up slide-in camper top for long range travel. That, some aluminum skids, and a dual battery system and I’ll be good to roll just about anywhere.

b91742269cc375c859295c2b11c9218d.jpg
615d3b6645cb0631ff078e9257743db5.jpg
63759f4247f77074ae5230a00091f751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005LJ

I loved mine. Just lacked interior space for a growing family.

Also, they have pretty crappy aftermarket support.

Yeah I’m on the other end of the family thing. My daughter just graduated from college and scored her first job and my son is almost done with HS and wouldn’t be caught dead riding in his parents back seat. The result is that I can smell freedom again and I only need a back seat big enough for the dog.

As for aftermarket support... I’m not doing a ton to this one. Keep it clean, do a couple things mentioned above to prep it for my dream of cruising the Pan American highway in a few years, and start planning more trips instead of projects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smileyshaun

Observer
there is actually a lot available for the tundra/sequoia platforms everything from bumpers to sliders , lift kits to long travel suspension just have to look around a little more then you would for say a tacoma .
great looking truck can't wait to see some of your travels and adventures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke