Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

bkg

Explorer
If you want an SUV without a third row toyota makes a 4runner that's still a true body on frame SUV unlike most other manufacturers. 4runner is probably better in all off road conditions due to its size.

And they can be very hard to find w/o the 3rd row... Took us about 3 months to find one back in 2015.

Dougnuts

And they can be very hard to find w/o the 3rd row... Took us about 3 months to find one back in 2015.

That seemed to vary by year, or maybe region. I’ve shopped them multiple times, and sometimes it seemed they were all 3 rows and sometimes none of them were, really odd.

Reactions: bkg

RoyJ

Adventurer
What is the difference between tearing out the third row to build a platform level to the second row and just folding the third row that is already level with the second row? Only reason I could see is to build storage into the platform that isn't there with the seats folded down.

I understand people that don't need the seating of a third row, likely most people. I think this is marketed for people that do need the flexability of that extra seating. Bigger families or families that transport other kids/relatives/sports teams etc.

If you want an SUV without a third row toyota makes a 4runner that's still a true body on frame SUV unlike most other manufacturers. 4runner is probably better in all off road conditions due to its size.

If you like driving a big SUV but don't need the seating you have to make compromises. Manufacturers can't market vehicles to individual wants/needs. The biggest need for large SUV is more seating capacity and that's where Toyota aims the Sequoia.

Storage and less weight. May not be much storage, but enough for recovery gear, tools, and non-perishable foods. The gear I pack there likely weigh the same as the seats, so "free" weight and space so to speak.

I give Toyota props for being brave; as you said, most buyers want space / seating over offroad capability. Toyota WILL lose many buyers over that 3rd row. Good news for this community.

Most of my overland travels are not technical; I enjoy extended stays in the BC backcountry, so space matters. Toyota surprised me, this is literally the only time in history I've seen an IRS SUV go the opposite. I grew up in the 90s drooling over big Ford GM SUVs I couldn't afford, so this is nostalgic for me, including the "can't afford it" part ?

RoyJ

Adventurer
Even the Highlanders have a selectable center locker button.

Many single range awd crossovers have them, but I've yet seen a low range truck, with 2Hi, 4Hi, plus center lock. LR and LCs have them, but don't have 2Hi.

Wonder if 4Lo unlocked works, was handy on my old 100 series.

phsycle

Adventurer
Many single range awd crossovers have them, but I've yet seen a low range truck, with 2Hi, 4Hi, plus center lock. LR and LCs have them, but don't have 2Hi.

99-00 4Runner Limited, 4th Gen 4Runners (V6), and some 5th Gen all had 2hi, 4hi/lo, and center lock.

bkg

Explorer
99-00 4Runner Limited, 4th Gen 4Runners (V6), and some 5th Gen all had 2hi, 4hi/lo, and center lock.

99-02 4Runners. Was an option on SR5’s as well. My 02 SR5 has it and I do like it.

I don’t recall seeing one in a 5th gen. I thought they were either part time or full time in the limited?

also been available on a number of GM trucks for many years.

phsycle

Adventurer
99-02 4Runners. Was an option on SR5’s as well. My 02 SR5 has it and I do like it.

I don’t recall seeing one in a 5th gen. I thought they were either part time or full time in the limited?

also been available on a number of GM trucks for many years.

Forgot about the 01-02. And I even had an 02 Sport Ed! ?
5th Gen - I know at least SR5’s from 10-13 had it. They went back and forth but some had part time 4wd but some not.
EDIT: I may be wrong. Maybe I’m thinking of the transfer case stick vs dial. My bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
That third row take up a horrible amount of cargo area, far worse than in my GX460. Which I removed immediately upon purchase, as I have zero need for third row seating. Got rid of nearly 100 pounds in the process.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

The 1st gen and second gen sequoia were 2wh-4hi-4lo and center locker. My old 94 J80 had it also only reason it was halfway ok when crossed up. No rear locker in that beast

moonshiner

Observer
Nope the 3.73 HD rear end equipped Expeditions have an E locker same setup seen on the HD pickups. Most definitely an option I have it and have used it in my Expedition. But yeah Ford has a zillion trims of the Expedition now that only have the 4hi 4x4 or A4 lacking the 2 spd transfer case and have the 3.31 soccer mom commuter van rear end thats limited slip only.
I guess they don't offer it anymore. Only the eLSD.
1643532330454.png

moonshiner

Observer
The 1st gen and second gen sequoia were 2wh-4hi-4lo and center locker. My old 94 J80 had it also only reason it was halfway ok when crossed up. No rear locker in that beast
1st and 2nd gen Sequoia and LC since the 80 series had a true center diff (i.e. gears like front or rear diff), so you could run 4hi or even 4lo on dry pavement with the center diff unlock. And I thought 4th gen 4runner and Limited trim 5th gen 4runner also uses a true center diff. Other 5th gen 4runner uses a part-time system with no center diff. I have a 2nd gen Sequoia and the ability to back my heavy trailer up my steep driveway in 4lo with center diff unlock is awesome. It takes a lot stress off the transmission in 4lo. Most crossover and even trucks that have 4auto uses clutches instead of a true center diff between the front and rear axles. The problem with clutches is wear and heat. I.e., clutches wears out over time and slipping clutches generate heat. This new Sequoia is like the rest of Toyota's trucks now (Tundra and Tacoma), where it does not have a center diff at all. There is no differentiation of speed between the front and rear axle so it can bind up on dry pavement if making turns. Basically the front and rear axles are locked together like a spool. There's pros and cons to the different types of 4wd systems. The pros of this part time system that Toyota uses for the new Sequoia and their pickups is that it is more robust and less parts to wear out and break. Cons are that it can't be used on dry pavement. The front and rear axles needs to be able to slip so that the driveline doesn't bind up.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You guys realize the third row seating is a work around the MPG requirements from the EPA, right? Obviously some people use them, but the third row puts these big SUVs into a different classifications for fuel economy vs person capacity.

The third row set up shown in the new models is ludicrous. I don’t see many consumers tolerating it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You guys realize the third row seating is a work around the MPG requirements from the EPA, right? Obviously some people use them, but the third row puts these big SUVs into a different classifications for fuel economy vs person capacity.

The third row set up shown in the new models is ludicrous. I don’t see many consumers tolerating it.
I don’t follow? Is the false floor/shelf board thing the problem? I’m not understanding.
I use my 3rd row 2-3 times a week hauling kids to club sport. I don’t find the Sequoia setup much different than my Expedition setup except!! It looks like Toyota opted to keep the rear gate lift over height ie floor at the rear seat base height not like my Expedition where they raised the floor /rear lift over height even with the top of the folded seat.

If! This is the case? Then Sequoia has retained a much larger rear gate opening along with a lower lift over height. This is a big deal given even the Expedition hatch opening height is hardly bigger than my Subaru lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior