Who's going to AZROCKS?

BMAN

Adventurer
goodtimes said:
photo #1: oops

Photo #2: Nice jack stand

Photo #3: At least he had a quality lug wrench.

:shakin:

"OOPS!" is right. Man that scared the piss outa me. Glad Chris was there to hook that winchline as quick as he did. And you to keep me level headed and spot me out of that ordeal. Still had a great time though. Even if I missed Brittan's Friday night dinner cause I was huntin a 35 12.50 down all over town.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
datrupr said:
Wil, what happened to your grill?

Nothing happened to my grill... it did get muddy and lost the spacer below the headlight...

my only damage was to the skid plates, but isn't that what they're for?

You might be looking at seth's tacoma (it's gray) and he has a billet grill.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
No, it was yours, it must be the spacer missing under the left headlight. Cool, glad to hear ya had a good time and put those skid plates to good use.

flyingwil

ShottsCruisers said:
HAD A GREAT TIME! THANKS to Scott and Chris for setting up a Powerline run! Man, Taco's amaze me more every time I run with them. Here's my picture gallery from the trip. If you want a full-size pic just email me the PIC NUMBER.

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/Four Wheeling/129980

It was great meeting you and your wife! I'd love to do another run with you guys sometime in the near future, and see your LX in more action! :Wow1:

Love the pictures of the mud puddle at the bottom of the switchbacks. I never thought I'd have to do so many 3 point turns to get through some switch backs.

Here are some of Seth's pictures... they look great... (I forgot my camera!)

imgp0138.jpg

imgp0131.jpg

imgp0137.jpg

Take Care,
Wil

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
flyingwil said:
It was great meeting you and your wife! I'd love to do another run with you guys sometime in the near future, and see your LX in more action! :Wow1:

Love the pictures of the mud puddle at the bottom of the switchbacks. I never thought I'd have to do so many 3 point turns to get through some switch backs.

Here are some of Seth's pictures... they look great... (I forgot my camera!)

imgp0138.jpg

imgp0131.jpg

imgp0137.jpg

Take Care,
Wil

Thank YOU Will. You did a great job in your Taco. That one hill is insane!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
ShottsCruisers said:
Thank YOU Will. You did a great job in your Taco. That one hill is insane!

What hill? I don't remember anything beyond a 3.0 out there. Did I miss something, or has one of the hills gotton significantly worse since last year? I like the sounds of insane.....with scenery to boot. Where is this supposed "insane" hill? I wanna see it!

flyingwil

goodtimes said:
What hill? I don't remember anything beyond a 3.0 out there. Did I miss something, or has one of the hills gotton significantly worse since last year? I like the sounds of insane.....with scenery to boot. Where is this supposed "insane" hill? I wanna see it!

There were a few good "hills", our first one was a slick rock decent, then one which required a locker to get up, (which was great), and the third was a series of switch backs that ended by the mud puddle seen above. All three could be considered insane, but the switch backs were the most fun.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
OK, I know which hills you are talking about....sorry, they don't qualify as "insane". That IS a fun section of trail though.

jaco

Observer
goodtimes said:
OK, I know which hills you are talking about....sorry, they don't qualify as "insane". That IS a fun section of trail though.

What would you qualify as insane?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
flyingwil said:
There were a few good "hills", our first one was a slick rock decent, then one which required a locker to get up, (which was great), and the third was a series of switch backs that ended by the mud puddle seen above. All three could be considered insane, but the switch backs were the most fun.

The hill I'm speaking of is no 3.0. I'd say a 3.5+. I also say insane because some stock Taco TRD's ran it. It isn't that bad for my big LX or your Jeep but it still is harder than anything on...say....Chiva Falls. This hill....the one on the RIGHT (the left s-backs are easy...2.5) in the first pic and the north side is the second pic.

26324377-L.jpg

37452790-L.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
It is all perspective.

The hackberry/powerline trail is actually a 2.5+ IMO. I have driven all of the obstacles in a stock height TJ with limited slip and 31" tall tires.

Articulate (Mark) on this board drove the trail in a manual, OPEN TJ, but did not do the side canyon. He used the skid plates a lot, and need to take a few attempts at some challenges, but it could be done.

When you see obstacles like the ones on Upper Ajax or Axel Alley, then insane (3.5+) comes to mind :)

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Hmmm, links didn't open.

Scott's on the conservative side with the trail ratings. It's cuz he has that Jeep with a 3697:1 crawl ratio and an RTI of 2157 so things seem easy. :jump:

I seem to use the variety or ratings from books, Jeep sites, and the like. They rate Chiva Falls a 3.5 and there's nothing on the trail there that is as tough as this hill (IMO) so I call it a 3.5+. They rate the Gap a 4.0 for the Step. The rest is a 3.0 or so.

It's all relative anyhow based on your rig and experience. I see Scott's point. Upper Ajax and those.....that's insane. The hill on Powerline is not. :xxrotflma

Scott Brady

Founder
ShottsCruisers said:
Hmmm, links didn't open.

Scott's on the conservative side with the trail ratings. It's cuz he has that Jeep with a 3697:1 crawl ratio and an RTI of 2157 so things seem easy. :jump:

I seem to use the variety or ratings from books, Jeep sites, and the like. They rate Chiva Falls a 3.5 and there's nothing on the trail there that is as tough as this hill (IMO) so I call it a 3.5+. They rate the Gap a 4.0 for the Step. The rest is a 3.0 or so.

It's all relative anyhow based on your rig and experience. I see Scott's point. Upper Ajax and those.....that's insane. The hill on Powerline is not. :xxrotflma

Trails have just gotten harder over the last 6-8 years. When I ran powerline in 1996, it was one of the "Hard Core" trails. Axel Alley didnt even exist yet.

Oh, and my Jeep is just a baby by todays standards (2" lift and 33x10.5" tire), though it does work well as designed...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Trails have just gotten harder over the last 6-8 years. When I ran powerline in 1996, it was one of the "Hard Core" trails. Axel Alley didnt even exist yet.

Oh, and my Jeep is just a baby by todays standards (2" lift and 33x10.5" tire), though it does work well as designed...

Seeing you and Brian idling up things is sick. :Wow1: I can't justify the price of that 4:1 crawler box for my Lexus though. :rolleyes: I need a Jeep too!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
tacominator said:
What would you qualify as insane?

Brians (*slightly* skewed) scale of difficulty:

Box Canyon, Chiva Falls, etc: Bumpy dirt road

Martinez Loop, Upper Woodpecker, etc: Fun bumpy dirt road

Lower Woodpecker (staying off the bypass on the right), Upper Ajax, etc: really fun trail.

Hiway to Hell, Axle Alley, etc: gettin kind of crazy (these are the upper limit of what I will do in my stockish jeep....though I prefer those trails listed as "really fun trail")

Matrix, Twisted, most of the hammers, etc: insane (you may see my jeep at the trailhead, but you won't see my jeep on these trails).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior