Who's going to AZROCKS?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Brians (*slightly* skewed) scale of difficulty:

Box Canyon, Chiva Falls, etc: Bumpy dirt road

Martinez Loop, Upper Woodpecker, etc: Fun bumpy dirt road

Lower Woodpecker (staying off the bypass on the right), Upper Ajax, etc: really fun trail.

Hiway to Hell, Axle Alley, etc: gettin kind of crazy (these are the upper limit of what I will do in my stockish jeep....though I prefer those trails listed as "really fun trail")

Matrix, Twisted, most of the hammers, etc: insane.

You've confirmed it! YOU'RE INSANE! :D

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
...couple reasons why things are easier - but first and foremost is that the trails have been beat down by excessive use.

The second is in the availability of parts to do major mod's at less expensive prices. Used to be a lift kit just lifted the rig but offered no real advantages in articulation. That's all changed in the last few years.

IMO, For Aridzona conditions, this is the best rating system available:

http://azrockcrawler.com/_images/trailrating/trailrating.html

Westy

Adventurer
Alright, second try. For the record I HATE Yahoo photos...

Here is a another pic of the hill Shotts is referring to. It is quite steep, with some good sized boulders and sharp turns to navigate. This is nearing the top of the hill
hackberry1.jpg

hackberry2.jpg

It would definitely test the limits of most any stock vehicle. Rear locker and lift makes it no problem. The backside of this hill (northside) has a good ledge as well and its no less steeper either. Here is a terrible pic of it:

hackberry3.jpg

I wish I could have made it out to AZRocks and run a couple trails with you guys. Glad to see a good time was had out there.

jaco

Observer
goodtimes said:
Brians (*slightly* skewed) scale of difficulty:

Box Canyon, Chiva Falls, etc: Bumpy dirt road

Martinez Loop, Upper Woodpecker, etc: Fun bumpy dirt road

Lower Woodpecker (staying off the bypass on the right), Upper Ajax, etc: really fun trail.

Hiway to Hell, Axle Alley, etc: gettin kind of crazy (these are the upper limit of what I will do in my stockish jeep....though I prefer those trails listed as "really fun trail")

Matrix, Twisted, most of the hammers, etc: insane (you may see my jeep at the trailhead, but you won't see my jeep on these trails).

I believe in the whole perspective thing, axle alley is kinda hard, but chances of rolling down a really long distance is less than that of hackberry. If that's what freaks you out, then maybe hackberry is insane for you. I Just don't go around judging if it's ok that someone thinks something is intimidating or not, it's all their perspective.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
tacominator said:
I believe in the whole perspective thing....

Yes, alot of it is. I feel very comfortable on a 30* side hill in the jeep, John looks at me like I'm nuts...yet he will point his cruiser up a 15' deep river and be smiling like a kid on christmas morning while I'm out looking for a bridge....

Alot of it has to with the amount of sheet metal on the vehicle, and how close that sheet metal is to the rocks.

And of course, alot of it depends on what the person in question likes to do. I can go run a trail like Upper Ajax and have a great, relaxing hour and a half. But when on something like Hiway to Hell, I dont' have as much fun because I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get through the trail in one piece.....at the same time someone with a buggy is bounding along having a good old time....

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Yes, alot of it is. I feel very comfortable on a 30* side hill in the jeep, John looks at me like I'm nuts...yet he will point his cruiser up a 15' deep river and be smiling like a kid on christmas morning while I'm out looking for a bridge....

Alot of it has to with the amount of sheet metal on the vehicle, and how close that sheet metal is to the rocks.

And of course, alot of it depends on what the person in question likes to do. I can go run a trail like Upper Ajax and have a great, relaxing hour and a half. But when on something like Hiway to Hell, I dont' have as much fun because I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get through the trail in one piece.....at the same time someone with a buggy is bounding along having a good old time....

:D :D :D Yes, that was a GREAT day! We had a blast! Memmories below...

I thing my biggest hang up is getting body damage. I have a lot on $$$z in my trucks....??? I built the Lexus to run the Ajax's, etc....but I'm whimpy!

56231146-L.jpg

Westy

Adventurer
wow. cool water crossing. That looks like fun!

Goodtimes - Have you ever ran Miners Revenge? If so, how would you compare it to Upper Ajax or Hiway to Hell?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Great weekend! It was really good to see eveyone. John & Tom (even though he's not on this forum), thanks for your help on Saturday. I appreciate it. Wil, thanks for the ride to the BBQ Sat. night. Thanks to everyone for having a good time.

John, cool pics! I dig the slide show. Hey, I SWEAR I saw your LX on Sunday, out on Park Link Drive - that connector road between 79 and I-10 in the middle of a serious hailstorm. Was that you?? I was out bummin' around on some trails by Owl Head buttes on my way to Tucson.

I haven't even been able to look at my pics yet... (sigh) Just got home.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hey Scott! Thanks for letting me try out the tent amigo. That was fun. You still owe me a hot-space-coffee thingy...

Maybe on the next one...

:rappel:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I LOVE the shot of the OVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are sooooo KEWL..........!:sunflower

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I LOVE the shot of the OVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are sooooo KEWL..........!:sunflower

Yeah, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to go there, since I have never been there. Trail was to easy for my taste, but the scenery and just being out there was a lot of fun. It was fun watching the '05 try and get out with out damage.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I love the scenery in that whole area. In southern Arizona, Coke Ovens and the Martinez loop are right at the top of my book....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz