Whoops! Out of Juice? ? Call AAA! ?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Probably towing a generator would be practical. Batteries are in their infancy. Recharge times need to be competitive with a gas fillup.
Batteries have been in use since the late 1800s. I would not call that infancy.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
It’s actually really easy to find a charger. Not as common as a gas station obviously but not difficult either. If I use a public charger it’s generally accompanied by bathroom break and quick walk around to stretch out or get some food. If I’m not traveling then it’s usually a charge while I walk in somewhere to get groceries or some other variety of shopping. There’s no more range anxiety than in normal ICE vehicle if you’re the kind of person to chose to take the tank to nearly empty.

In 47 years on this earth I had never heard of range anxiety until the last 2 years.....

ThundahBeagle

When I go on vacation I don't want to be finding a charger or staring at the screen with range anxiety. I'd like a hybrid if I can fit in one. I watched a lady struggle to get out of her Prius. Stoked owner but wishes a boxier hybrid car would come along. it'll cut mileage a bit not kill the back ascending.

Chevy Tahoe had a hybrid version about 10 years ago. Fuel economy gains were minimal and price was a bit steeper than the regular Tahoe. I'm a proponent of plug in hybrid. Why not have more choices and versatility in any single car? I bet if Chevy did a hybrid Tahoe with today's technology the fuel economy gains would be more worth it, but they have embraced the full on electric, even going so far as calling the new electric Avalanche a Silverado for some reason, making its functionality very little like an actual Silvy

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Because it isn’t areal thing if you plan accordingly, regardless of the energy source that powers the vehicle.

If someone is happy sticking to mostly busy roads you are correct, I prefer backroads and dirt roads going through smaller towns, none of the current crop of EV's meets my requirements and none have been advertised in the works yet either.

Range anxiety with 400 miles is nothing I have ever experienced and every small town in America I have visited has at least one gas station, can't say that about charging stations, yet.

crazysccrmd

Observer
If someone is happy sticking to mostly busy roads you are correct, I prefer backroads and dirt roads going through smaller towns, none of the current crop of EV's meets my requirements and none have been advertised in the works yet either.

Range anxiety with 400 miles is nothing I have ever experienced and every small town in America I have visited has at least one gas station, can't say that about charging stations, yet.

If you want to take the really slow route you can do it just about anywhere in the US. But it’s going to be the really slow route - as in drive 300 miles and camp somewhere charging for 8-14 hours depending on what you drove in on.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
If you want to take the really slow route you can do it just about anywhere in the US. But it’s going to be the really slow route - as in drive 300 miles and camp somewhere charging for 8-14 hours depending on what you drove in on.

Or I can drive 300 miles, camp somewhere not charging for 8-14 hours and still go another 100 or so miles, then refill in 4 minutes and do it all over again, no need to sit for 45 minutes charging much less 8-14 hours.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Or I can drive 300 miles, camp somewhere not charging for 8-14 hours and still go another 100 or so miles, then refill in 4 minutes and do it all over again, no need to sit for 45 minutes charging much less 8-14 hours.

Sorry, thought the joke in what I wrote would be obvious.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
While I would say I am mostly enjoying my EV truck experiment so far it is definitely a limitation in some areas, remote travel being the biggest.

It should get better in the next decade, but batteries still have drawbacks in life span and cold weather usage, I will wait.

crazysccrmd

Observer
It should get better in the next decade, but batteries still have drawbacks in life span and cold weather usage, I will wait.

If I didn’t have the advantages of early pre-order pricing, the federal tax break, and a no sales tax state I wouldn’t have bought this Rivian. I figure it is a fairly financially risk free way to see what it’s like with an EV truck because I should be able to offload it easily if desired, probably for a profit even.

tacomabill

This tool from energy.gov should help some. Map of all charging stations with filter for charging type, e.g. DC Fast, and for connector type. Read in some news source recently that energy.gov plans to add more features including number of working chargers at each location along with estimated wait time. BTW, the website also has filter for type of fuel, gas, diesel,and more.

3laine

You're right. EVs aren't right for every use case, yet. Anyone who says they are is ignorant or lying. Overlanding, along with long-distance towing, is a tough use case for EVs.

They're between good and substantially-better-than-gas for a lot of normal use cases, now, but Overlanding is not a remotely normal use case, so it will be a while before they're a great option for Overlanding, especially out West.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles