Whoops! Out of Juice? ? Call AAA! ?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
What’s in your wallet? Maybe a AAA membership card?
Might be a good idea to have one if you’re a city dwelling EV owner. Did you know?

In a limited number of areas in the US now, if you get stranded in your EV because you’ve run out of battery power, you can call AAA if you’re a member and get a ‘quick’ charge from one of their new service trucks designed to give you enough power to hopefully get you home or to a nearby plug in station!

“AAA now has the ability to charge the majority of electric vehicles, including electric motorcycles, with this standard plug type. Tesla vehicles can also be charged with the Tesla J1772 adapter.”

There’s a limit of course to how well this’ll help you out…but it still could come in handy!

The AAA Mobile Charging truck charges the AAA Ford Mustang Mach-E

“The AAA service trucks with mobile electric vehicle charging capability provide a Level 2 charge and can typically provide about 10 to 14 miles of range in about 30 minutes so that EV drivers can get home or to a charging station.”

The AAA mobile EV charging program is offered in these 14 cities:

Avon, MA

Bend, OR

Charlotte, NC

Denver, CO

Grand Rapids, MI

Indianapolis, IN

Nashville, TN

Orlando, FL

Peabody, MA

Philadelphia, PA

Portland, OR

Providence, RI

San Francisco, CA

West Springfield, MA

Last edited:

Mike W.

I've been playing with the same idea. I have a enough portable power just need to design the proper inverters. Just think calling out a diesel generator to charge you Tesla..?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
BTW, other features AAA now has to help EV owners with travel planning include (per the story on the mobile service trucks):

…digital tools to help with planning road trips for electric vehicles. They can be used to locate charging stations…and their TripTik Planner can be used by drivers ‘to map their routes, specifically plotting the location of electric vehicle charging…stations. Charging stations are currently displayed under fuel.’

Travelers see also check out the level of charging available and can get detailed info on the listed EV stations details…and soon ‘users will have the ability to create curated road trips with electric charging stations and other content.’

Pretty Cool !
(No, I’m not a AAA member)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I've been playing with the same idea. I have a enough portable power just need to design the proper inverters. Just think calling out a diesel generator to charge you Tesla..?

That actually could be an useful and profitable business idea for you, since lotsa folks aren’t AAA members. And once someone is stopped dead with no battery power, paying an independent service like this wobble well worth it.

Really, what are the options for someone who’s car batteries have no juice???‍♂️

Mike W.

And I live in EV out of juice territory..Beaver Utah to Las Vegas could be a gold mine..I'm seriously working the idea..

billiebob

if you get stranded in your EV because you’ve run out of battery power, you can call AAA if you’re a member and get a ‘quick’ charge
In Canada thats been a standard part of CAA, BCAA, AMA forever. If you run out of gasoline they will deliver 5 gallons for free. In 40 years I've used that service once.

Of course it will be a service for battery powered cars too.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
What’s in your wallet? Maybe a AAA membership card?
Might be a good idea to have one if you’re a city dwelling EV owner. Did you know?

In a limited number of areas in the US now, if you get stranded in your EV because you’ve run out of battery power, you can call AAA if you’re a member and get a ‘quick’ charge from one of their new service trucks designed to give you enough power to hopefully get you home or to a nearby plug in station!

“AAA now has the ability to charge the majority of electric vehicles, including electric motorcycles, with this standard plug type. Tesla vehicles can also be charged with the Tesla J1772 adapter.”

There’s a limit of course to how well this’ll help you out…but it still could come in handy!

The AAA Mobile Charging truck charges the AAA Ford Mustang Mach-E

“The AAA service trucks with mobile electric vehicle charging capability provide a Level 2 charge and can typically provide about 10 to 14 miles of range in about 30 minutes so that EV drivers can get home or to a charging station.”

The AAA mobile EV charging program is offered in these 14 cities:

Avon, MA

Bend, OR

Charlotte, NC

Denver, CO

Grand Rapids, MI

Indianapolis, IN

Nashville, TN

Orlando, FL

Peabody, MA

Philadelphia, PA

Portland, OR

Providence, RI

San Francisco, CA

West Springfield, MA
Probably towing a generator would be practical. Batteries are in their infancy. Recharge times need to be competitive with a gas fillup.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In Canada thats been a standard part of CAA, BCAA, AMA forever. If you run out of gasoline they will deliver 5 gallons for free. In 40 years I've used that service once.

Of course it will be a service for battery powered cars too.
Five gallons up your way is steep. That's pretty generous.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
BTW, other features AAA now has to help EV owners with travel planning include (per the story on the mobile service trucks):

…digital tools to help with planning road trips for electric vehicles. They can be used to locate charging stations…and their TripTik Planner can be used by drivers ‘to map their routes, specifically plotting the location of electric vehicle charging…stations. Charging stations are currently displayed under fuel.’

Travelers see also check out the level of charging available and can get detailed info on the listed EV stations details…and soon ‘users will have the ability to create curated road trips with electric charging stations and other content.’

Pretty Cool !
(No, I’m not a AAA member)
When I go on vacation I don't want to be finding a charger or staring at the screen with range anxiety. I'd like a hybrid if I can fit in one. I watched a lady struggle to get out of her Prius. Stoked owner but wishes a boxier hybrid car would come along. it'll cut mileage a bit not kill the back ascending.

billiebob

I don't want to be finding a charger or staring at the screen with range anxiety
Charging options are bound to increase exponentially over the next 10 years as will range. Some of the experiments in Europe seem almost sci fi. And China has more electric cars than anywhere with a billion people to drive the industry.

crazysccrmd

Observer
When I go on vacation I don't want to be finding a charger or staring at the screen with range anxiety. I'd like a hybrid if I can fit in one. I watched a lady struggle to get out of her Prius. Stoked owner but wishes a boxier hybrid car would come along. it'll cut mileage a bit not kill the back ascending.

It’s actually really easy to find a charger. Not as common as a gas station obviously but not difficult either. If I use a public charger it’s generally accompanied by bathroom break and quick walk around to stretch out or get some food. If I’m not traveling then it’s usually a charge while I walk in somewhere to get groceries or some other variety of shopping. There’s no more range anxiety than in normal ICE vehicle if you’re the kind of person to chose to take the tank to nearly empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior