who uses a yakima or thule box on top of their landcruiser???

mph

Expedition Leader
Anyone have some experience with these? Like, dislike? I currently have a nice rack on top but thinking this might be a better all-weather solution. I have a 100 series...how big could I go? anyone have some pictures of theirs? thanks in advance

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
I do every once in a while and like it. I have a Thule box which is long and thinner. It takes up a little less then one side. I bolt it to Yakima rack. one down side is getting things in and out can be a pain so high up. The only big negative is storing it when not in use. It has never leaked and can be locked so security over a large bag is nice. I like to keep beach or paddle items in there , PFDs and paddles, fishing poles. etc.. I got mine on crgslist for $90 a few years ago and my friends seem to use it more then me now.

WadeGreenwood

Up until last month I was running a Yakima Space Booster alongside a Load Warrior cargo basket on 66" load bars on top of my 60 series. Had that setup for about a year and a half and like it pretty well. I just picked up a custom-fabricated steel rack to replace that system, but it worked well, took it down to Baja a couple of times and the peace of mind from having a locking storage option on the roof was really nice.

P6110058.jpg

shamrok

I've had a Thule one for awhile. I don't know if they've changed them, but it can be a bit fickle to close. You can't stuff it full because the internal latch mechanism has to be totally clear and slot right in, it's a bit of a pain in the ***, to be honest. It's great to have when you need extra storage, but definitely fill it up and decide which you like before you buy, if possible.

Pic on my old 4Runner.
5275414531_80b33447d1_b.jpg

mgeiger

Observer
Bought a Thule Summit ski (I'm not a skier though) box of Craig's for cheap a few years ago. It's 7' x 22" and mounts to my Thule bars. I don't keep it on there, but for family trips it is priceless, and being skinny, I still have room on my 78" bars for my canoe and kayak. Stays dry. Locks. Light and easy to install.

BJTLC100

I have used the Yakima Sky Box quite a bit for camping and road trips. Works great for extra gear when traveling with my wife and 3 kids on longer trips. Easy to take on and off, loading, unloading, and it is quite secure as well.

Attachments

• Camping in Moab 013.jpg
    Camping in Moab 013.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 42

dcoy

Adventurer
I have a large Thule box. I've been moving away from it for several reasons. 1) it takes up alot of real estate on the roof that now is being occupied by bikes, antennae, etc. 2) it is generally not recommended for offroad and it definitely does rattle in my experience, 3) it tends to to foster indiscriminate packing (i.e.: why not pack the whole household on top since you've got the room) and 4) its effects on aerodynamics/mpg. I go without it by packing more efficiently, using a drawer setup in the back, and using the offroad trailer when camping. I probably will get some aluminum storage boxes, plus/minus Pelican cases for packing on top of the roof racks as well.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I use this (still have it for the 4runner) and I really like it. Lockable and secure. Yakima Skybox Pro 16 (I think)

We lost about 1 mpg overall having it on top of the LC and the 4runner. I like to put all of the sleeping bags/tent/pads up in the box and keep the cab open for hard goods...

dsc0840i.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
it's more solid than you would think, even off road. We use Thule bars on the Land Cruiser to hold the Maggiolina roof top tent and did not have any problem at all.

fjatl

Adventurer
I've got one on my Fj62 as well. It's a "permanent resident" up there. Barely even know it's there while I'm driving...

Philthyphil

Observer
We have one and it has ridden on top of many a Toyota (Tacoma, 62, and 100). I do like it because it's an all weather solution. The only two complaints I have is that if you take it with you somewhere, it's always up there, you can't fold it up and throw it in the truck. The reason this is a problem is because all though you "never know it's there" while driving. Your reminded of it when you hit the gas pump. If this isnt a problem for you the it's a great solution and I have had no other issues. We have taken it off road and on long highway trips with no complaints other than the reduction in gas milage. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a roof rack for the 62 and not far behind on the 100. Mainly because they can ride around on top all the time with little milage reduction and can be loaded when required. Another key is fitting in the garage fully equipped. Gonna be tight with flat racks but not an option with the box up there. Weather proof bags are worth it and have many uses for us and there is way more space with a rack if required... My .02 cents...

Philthyphil

Observer
I currently have a nice rack on top but thinking this might be a better all-weather solution. I have a 100 series...how big could I go? anyone have some pictures of theirs? thanks in advance

Wait a minute... What kind of rack do you have? Possible trade???? I come that way fairly often...

mph

Expedition Leader
Well, I have a yakima megawarrior with extension. I just mounted an ARB awning on it. So, I guess I am going to keep it....ahhh...There really isn't anything wrong with my current setup. I actually love it. Just wish I had a little more weather-proof option. I do like the flat racks but the more I think about it; the more I want something with a "basket" and/or "rails"....

What do you have? What's your setup?

Wait a minute... What kind of rack do you have? Possible trade???? I come that way fairly often...

Enigma

Observer
Thule 300 feet and load bars with the Thule "Moab" basket, worked sort of okay for the Rubicon last year, but with the constant side to side flip flopping as the truck made it's way along the trail, the basket would loosen on it's clamped friction fit and slide on the load bars.
Prior to that I had an old Motomaster cargo box strapped on, until the old weathered straps broke. I used the cargo box inside of the rack and ratchet strapped it on for the Rubicon, kept all the luggage dry and dust free.
The basket is currently removed as I have my RTT on the bars now. One day I hope to replace the Thule stuff with a nice solid proper roof rack, the stuff is too light duty for any decent 4x4ing really, but it does the job for now.

Attachments

• DSCN1490copy.jpg
    DSCN1490copy.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P1020636.JPG
    P1020636.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles