Who Still uses cast iron while traveling?

AndrewP

Explorer

Honu

lost on the mainland
hmmm 1 post linking a site and putting in the name
kinda have to think affiliation or friends :)

and not one pan in stock there
gives me the stay away from that vendor and kinda reminds me of the painted hatchet/camp axe thread :)

the in stock amazon thread to buy a LODGE would be my choice
at least we know lodge will be around to handle any issues if it arrises :)

If you are interested in keeping the natural non-stick and even heat distribution qualities of cast iron, without the all the weight, then take a look at these carbon steal pans from Vagabond Mtg. http://vagabondmfg.com/collections/campfire

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
I take my grandmother's 8 and 10 inch skillets, a lid that fits the 10, and a lodge dutch oven. The oven lid fits the smaller skillet. I wouldn't be without my cast iron. I think the skillets are well over 100 years old.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I always take the BIG skillet/med skillet/small curved side (eggs) and that indispensable big dutch oven-

I've been camp cooking too many years to try without CAST IRON !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Count me in...

I learned to cook from my Italian grandfather, and much of my education was with iron. I've used everything else since, at one time or another. Iron never fails. It is just so easy to get perfect results. I still have my grandfathers cast iron skillet.

But you can always learn a new trick, hmmm? I did about 7 years ago, from an onetime (girl)friend (and great cook) now very accomplished at Japanese cooking techniques. One word; Nambu

Nambu-style ironware, from Morioka in Iwate Prefecture, Japan. A number of authentic producers, such as Ferramica Kawaguchi i-mono and Iwachu... and, if you have used Snow Peak ironware, you have used Nambu. But like Iwachu, this is the moderate quality stuff (by Japanese standards). Try Ferramica Kawaguchi i-mono.

Wow. Amazingly light. Astonishingly strong, thin-wall casting. Tough. Cooking surfaces as smooth as that popular patterned or pebbled nonstick advertised to improve cooking performance, except the Japanese have been making these for 400 years. Guess what? They work. Better. Much.

But for camping? Something so bloody expensive? Well, my Kawaguchi i-mono frying pan weighs one-quarter, that's 25%, of the same size Lodge. I really like Lodge; used them many times, all good. But all I had to do was pick up a Ferramica Kawaguchi i-mono, and I was in love. I use it every single trip, occasionally bringing along a Iwachu omelette pan, or Snow Peak micro-oval oven, if I want to do something special.

Pics below:

Kawaguchi.jpg

Iwachu.jpg

WP_20141115_08_35_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20141115_08_37_23_Pro.jpg

One last note; my mascot, courtesy of my wife. Yes, the mouse. His name is Ferrous... ;-) He keeps napkins on the table, and generally keeps an eye on me.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I have started only using and carrying cast iron. I have a 10 inch pan with lid and a small skillet. For now seeing how this setup works....

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

profro

Observer
IMG_1752.jpg

Junkinduck

Observer
Don't leave without it

A 10" skillet with a lid and a 12" camp oven stays in the fifth wheel all of the time. More gets packed as needed.

irish_11

Explorer
How do you all store your cast iron for transport? Right now I toss it in a paper bag so all the oil built up wont get warn away, but the bags don't hold up for a longer trip. Looking for ideas here.

Airspeed

I use cast iron 100% of the time (at home and at camp). My girlfriend is even coming around to it. I can't stand the non-stick chemical junk that's out there.

That being said, I use a stainless steel pot for boiling water, cooking veggies, etc...

dman93

Adventurer
I just stopped by the Lodge factory outlet store in Sevierville TN (home of Dollywod). A fun place to visit, with pretty good prices on seconds, but in the end I didn't buy anything. There's a Coleman outlet next door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles