Who Still uses cast iron while traveling?

newimage

Wood Burner
I know several skillets and a dutch oven can weigh as much as a FJ80 but nothing beats the Heat distribution and the taste.
I know you can save weight with aluminum stuff but dont like it if I need to stick it a direct fire yeah know?
Who still uses them?:sombrero:

Rockhounder

Explorer
I know several skillets and a dutch oven can weigh as much as a FJ80 but nothing beats the Heat distribution and the taste.
I know you can save weight with aluminum stuff but dont like it if I need to stick it a direct fire yeah know?
Who still uses them?:sombrero:

We bought the whole set from an iron works that has the dutch oven, skillet, frying pan, and basin, all fits in a 1x1x2.5 foot wooden crate.... but it is so dang heavy, that we feel weird hauling around all that weight.....(easily over 80 pounds total)

ddog45

Adventurer
We always bring a dutch oven. Between my group of camping friends theres always few of various sizes to choose from. If you camp in a group say 4-8 people theres nothing better than breakfast from the dutch oven.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Great question, looking forward to responses.............I am looking at picking up some for my May trip to Utah, AZ. I would haul it in my trailer.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I usually take at least one dutch oven and a griddle when I car camp, sometimes a skillet also depending on what I'm cooking. I have taken a small 6 inch skillet back packing just for fun before too.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
We take a 15" skillet and cook everything in it...usually all at once! It took some care but we've made soup in it before...as well as pasta. We don't bother with a Dutch oven as we're not big bakers but one good size skillet is crazy versatile. No need to overpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
I quit when I started using anodized aluminum :)

for me I used to carry cast iron but quit once I started using the anodized stuff for a few reasons
less maintenance no worry about rust etc...
easier clean up
stuff comes out just as tasty and good
way lighter to load unload and have in the rig

I use some cast iron at home still but have cut way back on it now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles