Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I think that partnership has to date only extended to the Lion Td6 and SD6 engines. I actually foresee a bigger problem for Ford since a variant of that engine is now in the F150, whereas the supplier relationship with Land Rover is coming to a close. Might hurry up the Ingenium Inline-6 turbodiesel - which I'm all for.

And likely increase the motivation for JLR's relationship with BMW.

Happycoop

Observer
Reliability is too big of a concern for me to consider it, even though I do like the new Defender. Our Evoque had less than 40k miles when it left me stranded, and my friend's Velar has less than 5k miles and LR is in process of buying it back because they aren't able to fix it. While I want to believe they've turned the corner and are putting out reliable vehicles, my personal experience says otherwise. Granted, it's a small n I am basing that on, but when it happens to you personally it tends to mean more.

blackangie

Reliability is too big of a concern for me to consider it, even though I do like the new Defender. Our Evoque had less than 40k miles when it left me stranded, and my friend's Velar has less than 5k miles and LR is in process of buying it back because they aren't able to fix it. While I want to believe they've turned the corner and are putting out reliable vehicles, my personal experience says otherwise. Granted, it's a small n I am basing that on, but when it happens to you personally it tends to mean more.
Hey harry, 40k miles is not a small amount of driving, what happened? You say minor?
In AU LR come and pick you up, temp car etc under warranty and fix it for free etc.

As a comparison for you, a friend called me last night with a low KM Toyota hilux, injector failure then melted a piston, he's up for AU$7500 for an engine that will do it again or $13000 to reco + upgrade injectors to stop it happening. Its being sold after engine is fixed.

All cars have issues, if its minor like 1 or 2 issues per year, thats pretty normal.

If they are major mechanical failures that are known issues for that model then you have a real problem. Or like your friends car may have got one with a defect and are up for a full refund.

We run a new JLR suv, so far been great overall, android auto is amazing.

With all the testing which is still ongoing with the new Defender and SOTA i don't have a prob getting one, finalizing my order this week.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

The best Photoshop I have seen to date of the new Defender, even though the tires are not perfect.

By SVi Bespoke

Take note ARB & Lucky8
9ba386d695b26a17f481dfa695d1c828.jpg

soflorovers

The best Photoshop I have seen to date of the new Defender, even though the tires are not perfect.

By SVi Bespoke

Take note ARB & Lucky8

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. Obviously, the ARB won't happen due to cooling components behind the bumper, but a flush mounted "Saudi Spec" grill will absolutely improve the look.

gatorgrizz27

By SVi Bespoke

Take note ARB & Lucky8

That thing is sick. Can’t wait to see some of these things get modded, and I really hope bumpers become available. If not, the whole thing is sort of a waste.

mpinco

Expedition Leader

I fully expect reliability to decline as the industry moves to new architectures in support of electrification. Eventually it will improve as designs stabilize, technology achieves time and mileage while the issues are worked through. This is not a JLR specific expectation, but one for the entire industry.

If the coolers are up high like everyone seems to be saying, then these will not be a factor for a bumper modification; although will like be a significant cost associated with the design and fit. On that note, I would worry more about all of the various cameras and sensors and blah blah back there that may not be easily retrofitted to a new bumper as well as the intricate nature of the computers and the locations of those sensors and such.

blackangie

If the coolers are up high like everyone seems to be saying, then these will not be a factor for a bumper modification; although will like be a significant cost associated with the design and fit. On that note, I would worry more about all of the various cameras and sensors and blah blah back there that may not be easily retrofitted to a new bumper as well as the intricate nature of the computers and the locations of those sensors and such.
Yes any bumper will have to have mesh or similar for airflow on left/right and prob centre, these things have been designed to run in Dubai and not get hot. That's not easy.

This is the AU tubebar/winchbar, sensor and camera compliant, i like how it protects the side a little great for dense bush,trees on tracks etc. Ill be ordering this, if something better comes along, then ill consider it.

Yes not big and chunky, but its no doubt been designed with pedestrian safety in mind. Apparently no winch cradle needed and looks to have a built in fairlead and the plugs for the fairlead cover/numberplate mount. 50mm tube braced is not weak. I run front rear tube bars in 50mm on my RRC and drive very hard offroad, it does not bend easy.

applications can be different, a good question to ask is why am i running a bumper/bullbar? Is it just to mount a winch (just go the concealed Abar type 2nd and 3rd pic), is it trail protection for the front end or you want something that looks tough?
c6622326572bfe53983152e1c3b53857.jpg
cbeeb97f3ec2b91f0eacbc5170eafe32.jpg
df092bcb35d2b53c74664a03a46b8cf2.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Some insty finds
b726c050beb8da8955a9505062203b96.jpg

A good example of the overuse of technology. That info is mostly useless and should be readily apparent to the driver who is paying attention to the trail. "Wade Sensing"? Really? Shouldn't you walk the trail/river BEFORE your attempt? Well yes! Who is the customer? The useless idiot who buys a Luxury Defender and brags about it to their friends as they pull into the mall.

A good example of the overuse of technology. That info is mostly useless and should be readily apparent to the driver who is paying attention to the trail. "Wade Sensing"? Really? Shouldn't you walk the trail/river BEFORE your attempt? Well yes! Who is the customer? The useless idiot who buys a Luxury Defender and brags about it to their friends as they pull into the mall.

I would agree that most of that stuff is entirely worthless and to be honest I wouldn't mind the panel in a commercial version to show a screen like GAP IID Tool for diagnostic and then my radio, phone, maybe NAV. I've found that a NAV system, even in the Tesla is not as quick access as my iPhone so most of the stuff in the panel is fluff! But, if it comes with it, I guess we will take it! lol

Like that Camel design; still want to see if JLR will step into DAKAR; I think it would be huge in factory and open classes even if they decide to run hybrid techno to do it.

Also, that ARB looks almost perfect on the front IMO!

blackangie

Wowsers name calling??

Actually its a great feature, the sensors are already there for parking and the screens alreeady there so why not.

Plenty of times ive wondered how deep that last crossing is (better than stopping and putting a tape measure out the window) and you are correct its no substitute for checking depth before.

What about all the other features on the screen, angles, compass, are diffs locked? Should we measure and check those ourselves too?

blackangie

I would agree that most of that stuff is entirely worthless and to be honest I wouldn't mind the panel in a commercial version to show a screen like GAP IID Tool for diagnostic and then my radio, phone, maybe NAV. I've found that a NAV system, even in the Tesla is not as quick access as my iPhone so most of the stuff in the panel is fluff! But, if it comes with it, I guess we will take it! lol

Like that Camel design; still want to see if JLR will step into DAKAR; I think it would be huge in factory and open classes even if they decide to run hybrid techno to do it.

Also, that ARB looks almost perfect on the front IMO!
Android auto and apple carplay are standard in AU for new defender, basically your phone and its apps for music and nav on the screen including voice command, we have it on another new JLR car and i retrofitted to my RRC, brilliant tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior