Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrion13

This is roughly what I have in mind, dealer (Land Rover Flatirons between Boulder/Denver) tells me I lock my build next week based on allotments:

Still torn between silver w/black roof and blue w/white roof. Had a '94 Arles Blue D90 once upon a time that I would love to emulate, but also think the new design language looks really good in lighter colors. I will also be likely opting for the black treatment on the solid panel behind the C-Pillar, order guide says you can order that black which I think would be a better look.

blackangie

35s is what we are also going for. Ill post up as soon as we stuff them in.
Nice, do you use spacers on d5 wheels or you "spacerless" ?, we can't use spacers in AU as illegal.
If so, and providing you can get 18s fitted, Will order your defender wheels as soon as you show em on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Are u familiar with the control systems they are using?........

Personally? Hands on JLR design? No. System level, mostly, from inception to design to analysis to testing to field support. From avionics to very high performance financial systems.

Blackberry's QNX OS has been around for a long time. From Blackberry Passport BB10 smartphones to today's 150 million vehicles running QNX at some level. That includes Audi, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, KIA, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Blackberry licenses multiple solutions for a variety of industries, all QNX based. Basically a tailored and optimized Unix OS.

3 Gbits/sec is in the range of 300 MB/s or relatively moderate bandwidth for a vehicle environment. Snapdragon processors are your standard smartphone processing core/s. They are probably declocked (run at lower speeds) to ensure they work as designed at low and high temps. That strategy is very common.

Good to see they realize that the move away from mechanical to IT will require $45 million for validation testing. They are going to need all of it, probably more. Been there, done that. Every manufacturer is jumping through the same hoops.

Dodgey systems can originate from a variety of variables, to include design. You would be surprised at how many hardware design issues (both mechanical and ECU's) are worked around with firmware/software that attempt to mitigate the issue but really just adds another layer of complexity and potential failure. In addition software is added to fix software.

I'm not saying JLR products are any worse than any other manufacturer but I also realize that they all face the same time to market pressures that force management decisions onto engineering teams. From an engineering perspective bad things then happen and failure modes are introduced.

I look forward to seeing the Luxury Defender. As I have already said the powertrain alternatives for the US market are problematic for me. I'm becoming less confident that will be addressed by the new combined Jaguar Land Rover corporate structure.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Very similar to what I would configure. Even down to the color. I would go for the gray rims but otherwise it's very similar.
Grey wheels were only available in 20" , I wanted the smallest wheel size they offered. I would actually get the white steelies but you can't have them with the P400 engine....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

soflorovers

35s is what we are also going for. Ill post up as soon as we stuff them in.
I have a feeling a 35" will require very little modification. The standard tires are 32' and someone around here has mentioned that JLR stated a 33" is possible without a lift. Curious to see if a large set of tires will sway the naysayers into finally giving this thing the respect it deserves.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
As JLR has already stated, from 2020 all new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles will be electrified. The future of the Luxury Defender ...........

New birthplace for Jaguar Land Rover’s electric ‘babies’

".......To meet the new ‘Destination Zero’ targets, the product creation centre brings design, engineering and production purchasing under one roof for the first time in JLR’s history. The site is 4 million m² big, equivalent to almost 480 football pitches. It delivers more than 50,000 m² of additional workspace which has been designed to encourage collaboration throughout the entire vehicle development process – from sketch to showroom. It includes the new Jaguar design studio, co-locating Jaguar and Land Rover design for the first time........

.......Jaguar Design is made up of designers from across the globe and from a range of industry backgrounds, including fashion, watch-making, sports and gaming.......

....The new Jaguar Design Studio will place greater importance on advanced material technologies, too. Focussed on sustainability, JLR says that the colour and materials team have more space and technology to investigate and test new resources that continue to demonstrate luxury and tactility for the next generation of vehicles.........
"

mpinco

Expedition Leader
How the multiple systems can be hosted on the same underlying hardware - QNX hypervisor, the ability to run multiple OS instances that each serve a product feature.

For those familiar with OS level hypervisors ........

BlackBerry Unveiled World’s First Safe and Secure Digital Cockpit Solution on CES 2019 in Las Vegas

BlackBerry has showcased this technology on a 2019 Audi Q8. The QNX Platform for Digital Cockpits combines BlackBerry’s safety-certified QNX Hypervisor for Safety, QNX Platform for Instrument Clusters, QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment, and a secure Android implementation. .......

BlackBerry’s QNX Platform for Digital Cockpits is made possible thanks to a partnership with Tata Elxsi who provide customizations and support for Android and ensure Android updates and customizations are available for the lifetime of the vehicle. The development builds on the companies’ multi-year partnership, first announced in 2017, that saw Tata Elxsi sign on with BlackBerry as a value-added integrator to help companies design and develop secure, mission-critical solutions using BlackBerry QNX technologies. Tata Elxsi has been responsible for handling the Android ecosystem for the QNX platform.

Tata is a multi-national conglomerate with many customers of their IT divisions. That includes many auto manufacturers mentioned above, not just JLR.

Blaise

I have a feeling a 35" will require very little modification. The standard tires are 32' and someone around here has mentioned that JLR stated a 33" is possible without a lift. Curious to see if a large set of tires will sway the naysayers into finally giving this thing the respect it deserves.

I think specs mean nothing. If you look at my LR3, you'd think it'd be be bad off-road bc of IFS/IRS, 31" tires, etc. Yet it does great.

I think it'll get respect when/if people see that it's doing well on trail and is reliable. Which I do expect it will be.

Parb

Daydreaming
Grey wheels were only available in 20" , I wanted the smallest wheel size they offered. I would actually get the white steelies but you can't have them with the P400 engine....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I know, I would add steelies for adventure anyway so gray 20s are tolerable to start with. Or at least that was my logic.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Would think this would expand to include vehicles. Farmers have been fighting for this for years as the big agricultural equipment manufacturers attempted to force any maintenance back to the dealer.

EU recognises "right to repair" in push to make appliances last longer

"..........Miles ahead of this is the Fairphone 3, an "ethical smartphone" which has six removable and replaceable modules, labelled to assist with re-assembly. "

Given the significant increase of partnering in the auto industry and the move to control sub-systems I would think the same product maintenance strategies could be extended to JLR's product line. The dealers won't like it but as commoditization increases the ability to implement replaceable modules increases. Especially when the software all runs as virtual machines on a common underlying hypervisor architecture.

Given the expected lifetime of the Luxury Defender I would think JLR would need to incorporate "right to repair" architecture.

Last edited:

Blaise

Even without this legislation (which I fully support), the IID Tool offered for modern rovers in the aftermarket has proved to be an incredible resource. $16 replacement key ALONE paid for itself.

gatorgrizz27

Even without this legislation (which I fully support), the IID Tool offered for modern rovers in the aftermarket has proved to be an incredible resource. $16 replacement key ALONE paid for itself.

I’ve been thinking the same thing about the GAP tool for the new Defender.
The car seems to be attracting interest from non-Rover guys, so many aren’t aware of its capabilities. Most of the electrical issues people are worried about aren’t significant with that tool.

Obviously it will take some time before they have one ready for the Defender, I wonder if they might take pre-orders to help speed up development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles