Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflorovers

I'll be uploading more on my IG. For the most part, it's mainly going to be maintenance and fixing some of the P.O.'s shortcuts. For example: the fender liners were cut super crooked and could use a proper trim; the sliders were cut poorly to clear the tires and are super jagged on the ends, so I'd like to trim those back; the sliders and bumper are showing plenty of rust so I'd like to address that; the undercarriage is all sorts of banged up and could probably use a new exhaust and some minor rust prevention/treatment.

EDIT: Instagram isn't playing nice, so I'll just include the URL instead of the Embed Code

DieselRanger

I'm curious if @Fivespddisco can find a way to trim those wheel wells to accept 35"s, with the posted wheelbase, it's too small for 32"s for the type of terrain I encounter. After personally piloting a stock JKU rubicon across it's belly through the actual Rubicon Trail and talking to folks who have dared take LR3s on Golden Spike, it's the breakover angle that's the killer for western trails. Not approach, and not departure (the departure on the disco 2 sucks, for example, but the 100" wheelbase is spot on awesome).

If the aftermarket can't figure out how to fit 35"s, then I'll probably be favoring the 2-door (when released) in Explorer Pac, 18" rims and onboard air. The 110 would be preferred (with 35s), but the 130 without a truck bed is pointless for my uses.

I'd also like to see if the 2.0 or the V6 have the intercoolers in front of the wings. The 6-liter straight six diesel they assembled in the promo video showed NO radiators in front of the wheels. If we can have similar clearance in NAS spec Defenders, this is going to go down as a very good off-road overland rig. If not, it's going to be in the upper average echolon, IMO, and perform below it's ultimate potential.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys do with the platform, I'm at least 3-5 years out from another rig.
Land Rover claims the Defender will take 35's with a one inch lift.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Didn't Land Rover say the new defender could fit 37" with a 1" lift? I think they did, or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I did in fact misremember. It was 35s with a 1" lift.

Dang, that article points out another thing I hadn't realized:
One design element that is going to frustrate off-road modifications is the front bumper. It integrates cooling elements that Rob Atkin, the Defender’s technical director describes as “essential.” So, you won’t simply be able to remove that bumper and replace it with a common steel item. Instead, the aftermarket will need time to develop dedicated solutions that retain the cooling system’s functionality.

I figured it would be easy to remove the plastic front bumper and install a steel one, but it seems it will be more complex (and therefore expensive) to do that. Will be interesting to see what aftermarket options become available. I'm still interested, but it would likely be the '21 or '22 model year before I pull the trigger anyways. ?‍♂️

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan

I figured it would be easy to remove the plastic front bumper and install a steel one, but it seems it will be more complex (and therefore expensive) to do that. Will be interesting to see what aftermarket options become available. I'm still interested, but it would likely be the '21 or '22 model year before I pull the trigger anyways. ?‍♂️

I'm thinking the "elements" it containes are merely that it funnels/directs air to the right place.

Until shown differently, I refuse to believe they have a radiator and/or hoses going through that. If they went that route, they lost me as a potential customer because that would tell me they were willing to put something quite fragile out front in harms way, and what else would they do.

No, I think they use the plastic as a way to funnel/direct air.

soflorovers

Same thing happened with the D5. Tons of essential cooling components live behind the front bumper. The only steel bumper option I've seen for the D5 is this, and I don't love it:

1570220902105.png

Oh, did I mention its $3500 AUD?!?!

blackangie

I'm thinking the "elements" it containes are merely that it funnels/directs air to the right place.

Until shown differently, I refuse to believe they have a radiator and/or hoses going through that. If they went that route, they lost me as a potential customer because that would tell me they were willing to put something quite fragile out front in harms way, and what else would they do.

No, I think they use the plastic as a way to funnel/direct air.
Lucky8 already have confirmed the rads are up higher on defender on a pre release vid.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Same thing happened with the D5. Tons of essential cooling components live behind the front bumper. The only steel bumper option I've seen for the D5 is this, and I don't love it:

View attachment 542757

Oh, did I mention its $3500 AUD?!?!
Looks good in black, bumpers rarely look good in alloy.
Price is reasonable considering keeps airflow and airbag compliance.

gatorgrizz27

With bullbars, I’d prefer them to come with the “airbag compatible tested brackets”, as well as a pair of reinforcing plates “for off-road/competition use only,” and allow the buyer to decide how to mount it. Even a 1/4” steel plate will bend if you hit a tree or car at 35 mph.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Lucky8 already have confirmed the rads are up higher on defender on a pre release vid.

So basically the same as the D5 (dual rads left and right), just positioned higher to accommodate external design differences. If the D5 bumper is $3500 AUD ($2500 USD) then the Luxury Defenders bumper will be even higher cost. This could be a train wreck in the making.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles