Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselRanger

Just curious to see if anyone else ordered one.

I did the 6cyl SE in gray.
Cool! How did you spec the extra graphic or did you 'shop it? If they're going to wrap it anyway, might as well offer some choices other than plain satin.

I'd get the Green HSE with all the toys, with the wrap and the white roof, but I too may hold out for a NAS diesel, hopefully an inline six. Still loving my Disco....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

T-Willy

I don't want the MHEV system that's on the six cylinder, for one thing it uses all of the under floor storage in the rear and I can imagine what electrical nightmares it could cause down the road. I was ready to order a diesel immediately, now I have to wait and see if LRNA will decide to bring them in. The word is not encouraging do maybe we need to let Land Rover that we want diesels. A 600 mile range is a good thing for an overlanding vehicle.

A diesel and coil springs.

EdwinfLR4

Wait, the slow Americans need to know are talking from the EU side or can go to the local Houston Texas dealer to pick-up my order. Were a little slow.

blackangie

I'm in the same camp as JackW, do not want the MHEV powertrain. (Too complex, too expensive, unproven, long term cost would be high) In addition the 2.0L is too small. In summary the Luxury Defender has no powertrain options that work for me. Was at the dealer yesterday discussing this issue and the person thought JLR would offer a diesel Defender in the US.
Bigger diesel is next year isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Rock sliders are first on our list just looking at the truck. When it is here we will know for sure. I really want to do a front bumper.
Apparently AU will be getting a factory bullbar mid next year.
Im guessing its the one spotted on spain on pilots, looks good.
In AU if its not factory it needs to be approved for airbag compatibility, so usually people buy from ARB, TJM, ECB etc.
Love your work lucky8, will be keeping an eye on what you come up with
cebc1bb150b485dddc140b6f8ec9ed13.jpg
ea55f2b3d5681798610ae0bc5d3e6139.jpg
5f841569f93db02f194696d501658768.jpg

blackangie

Lucky8 another question, you are ordering the straight 6 also, can you fit the aftermarket 18s to models with the straight 6 as they can only be specd with 19s from factory.

catmann

It does not appear JLR is counting on a BEV for the Defender based on this article:

Also worth noting (as people complained about having 85 ECUs), there appears to be 14 ECU's in the Defender that can receive OTA updates:
Speth talked about having to write "100s of millions of lines of code" as importance of software overtakes that hardware in the minds of buyers.
Jaguar Land Rover's current most high-tech vehicle, the Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV, has three electric modules than can be updated wirelessly over the air.
The new Land Rover Defender, arriving next year, will have 14 updateable modules.

blackangie

It does not appear JLR is counting on a BEV for the Defender based on this article:

Also worth noting (as people complained about having 85 ECUs), there appears to be 14 ECU's in the Defender that can receive OTA updates:
Speth talked about having to write "100s of millions of lines of code" as importance of software overtakes that hardware in the minds of buyers.
Jaguar Land Rover's current most high-tech vehicle, the Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV, has three electric modules than can be updated wirelessly over the air.
The new Land Rover Defender, arriving next year, will have 14 updateable modules.

85 ecu's is not many compared to most new luxury cars.

The over the air updating his great like our phones it will get better over time.

A quick Google shows 150 is the norm.

An ECU is basically anything with a microprocessor in it so can be windows, locks, rain sensor etc etc
4f9313b49be7050b5ecdcf26887c694b.jpg

DieselRanger

85 ecu's is not many compared to most new luxury cars.

The over the air updating his great like our phones it will get better over time.

A quick Google shows 150 is the norm.

An ECU is basically anything with a microprocessor in it so can be windows, locks, rain sensor etc etc
4f9313b49be7050b5ecdcf26887c694b.jpg

Yeah, and any time I don't have to go to the dealer to get a software update is fine with me. Nobody questions it when it happens on their smartphone, and in fact would throw a fit if they had to go back to the phone store to get an update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

JackW

Explorer
Apparently AU will be getting a factory bullbar mid next year.
Im guessing its the one spotted on spain on pilots, looks good.
In AU if its not factory it needs to be approved for airbag compatibility, so usually people buy from ARB, TJM, ECB etc.
Love your work lucky8, will be keeping an eye on what you come up with
cebc1bb150b485dddc140b6f8ec9ed13.jpg
ea55f2b3d5681798610ae0bc5d3e6139.jpg
5f841569f93db02f194696d501658768.jpg

In my experience those tubular style brush bars aren't very effective for anything other than light brush and generally cause more body damage than they prevent. The full ARB style front bumper is a lot more effective when you nudge a tree or Bambi jumps out in front of your truck. I'm counting on ARB to come up with a good alternative. There are some outstanding bumpers being fabricated for the Toyota Tacoma and Fourunner here in the US, maybe those guys will design something cool for the new Defender.

blackangie

In my experience those tubular style brush bars aren't very effective for anything other than light brush and generally cause more body damage than they prevent. The full ARB style front bumper is a lot more effective when you nudge a tree or Bambi jumps out in front of your truck. I'm counting on ARB to come up with a good alternative. There are some outstanding bumpers being fabricated for the Toyota Tacoma and Fourunner here in the US, maybe those guys will design something cool for the new Defender.
Agreed they are no ARB Bar, but plenty of 4wders run tube bars these days, Landrover also have to make it pedestrian friendly etc.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The factory bull bars are virtually useless other than leaning on them and will actually transfer impact to the hood and fenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles