Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackW

Explorer
I don't want the MHEV system that's on the six cylinder, for one thing it uses all of the under floor storage in the rear and I can imagine what electrical nightmares it could cause down the road. I was ready to order a diesel immediately, now I have to wait and see if LRNA will decide to bring them in. The word is not encouraging do maybe we need to let Land Rover that we want diesels. A 600 mile range is a good thing for an overlanding vehicle.

merrion13

Have had a deposit down on one since May, told order window opens 10/15 where the deposit becomes non-refundable. JackW, have you seen any pictures of the underfloor storage differences on the 2 engines? That is news to me, I am leaning the 6 cyl but that could make a difference.

JackW

Explorer
1569643225098.png

1569643106949.png

There is a view of the bare skeleton at the rollout that shows two big boxes in the area aft of the back seats. They are part of the 48V MHEV system. I haven't seen any actual photos of the under floor storage but the big electrical components are right where any would be located. I'm still mad about the no diesel option that I have heard from LRNA.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
I don't want the MHEV system that's on the six cylinder, for one thing it uses all of the under floor storage in the rear and I can imagine what electrical nightmares it could cause down the road. I was ready to order a diesel immediately, now I have to wait and see if LRNA will decide to bring them in. The word is not encouraging do maybe we need to let Land Rover that we want diesels. A 600 mile range is a good thing for an overlanding vehicle.

They have stated that there are no plan to bring in any diesels. They would have needed to plan it during the engine design stage.

JackW

Explorer
There will be three diesel engines available in ROW vehicles - two four cylinders and one six cylinder. Land Rover just does not think there is enough of a market here in the US to put them through the certification process to make them US legal for importation.
Now that the EPA has told CARB that they can't dictate emissions regulations we might have a slim hope that LRNA will respond to market demand if we let them know that we want the diesels. I'd like the 300? Hp six cylinder but would settle for the 240 HP four cylinder diesel if that were the only choice. Its a clean diesel that should pass emissions.

blackangie

Had a deposit down for a while, orders get confirmed by Nov in AU.
Mine will be as close to this as possible
843f7ebea040363fc7f7886d111bcf9c.jpg
5d1edafcbc0c579caa3e5e77c3cbb80e.jpg

Looking forward to what you guys come up with Lucky8, what mods will be first?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@blackangie Nice pick on the Defender; looks about how I would do it except white and maybe steel! Oh, and an NAS Diesel! lol

This might help people make their ordering decisions; I believe this is a great review of important topics! We all know ASP is not a Land Rover fan and I believe gives a great review of open-source information.

4xOverland Defender Review/Options

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester

Anyone know if all that stuff under the back floor means the last row of seats won't fold flat or would that be a whole layer above that storage?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same camp as JackW, do not want the MHEV powertrain. (Too complex, too expensive, unproven, long term cost would be high) In addition the 2.0L is too small. In summary the Luxury Defender has no powertrain options that work for me. Was at the dealer yesterday discussing this issue and the person thought JLR would offer a diesel Defender in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles