Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

JLR needs volume to survive in current form. Their current balance sheet is 'managed' after a huge writedown and long term tax implications. Moving too far up the ladder will result in lower volumes, financial issues and greater pressure for 'partnerships'. I would suspect that if the 6-cyl diesel comes with MHEV and prices out as a $15K adder 'package' then several here will be looking outside LR for their next vehicle. For me the 90 is too small, the 110 has a shorter wheelbase than my LR4 and the 130 might be too long but need to see it. I do know that I am NOT going to spend $100K on a vehicle that will depreciate like a lead balloon. (Even though I keep my vehicles for a long time) By the time I look at upfront taxes, licensing, annual tax, etc I have much better things to do with $125K that will increase in value.
Sorry you stated the defender is 125k vehicle and thats why it will be a train wreck.

I corrected you by saying its available from a much lower price, and infact priced from volume buyers to the high end.

In the states the MSRP's rsnge from 50-80k

Being sold in 150+ markets its going to get volume.

Last def sold 20k units a year, this will sell 200k imo once the 90 is out.

No trainwreck insight.

I dont really mind if you do or dont get the defender or what you do with your money.

This threads to find out info on the new defender for those interested.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Didnt expect this so soon, could be a render, but either way with that engine and the defender combo, its for sure a gwagon killer
2ecdb053f72903f157d316c66b8f4b2c.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Sorry you stated the defender is 125k vehicle and thats why it will be a train wreck.

I corrected you by saying its available from a much lower price, and infact priced from volume buyers to the high end.

In the states the MSRP's rsnge from 50-80k

Being sold in 150+ markets its going to get volume.

Last def sold 20k units a year, this will sell 200k imo once the 90 is out.

No trainwreck insight.

I dont really mind if you do or dont get the defender or what you do with your money.

This threads to find out info on the new defender for those interested.

The G-wagon is a $125K vehicle. The article says the 130 will be priced the same. The article you referenced.

My $100K is a reference cost for discussion purposes. If I won't spend $100K why would I spend $125K?

JLR sold 500 D5's in NA last month. The Defender 130 at $125K will sell like the G-wagon. I've seen one on the road over the last year.

I agree the Luxury Defender is better than the D5 from a styling standpoint but if they push the price up too far sales will fall exponentially. JLR needs volume. That IS a discussion on the new luxury defender, period. During my recent trip to the dealer my LR4, the D5 and where the Luxury Defender needs to go was a topic of discussion.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't be surprised to see D5 sales increase as the Luxury Defender is priced high while the D5 is discounted due to low volume. For the US the engine options are pathetic while the D5 can be had with a diesel. Does the Luxury Defender return to command seating, aspects that are pure LR, or does it have a high waist line with higher window that puts the bottom of the window at shoulder height?

JLR is listening and will modify the product roadmaps based on feedback.

Last edited:

blackangie

The G-wagon is a $125K vehicle. The article says the 130 will be priced the same. The article you referenced.

My $100K is a reference cost for discussion purposes. If I won't spend $100K why would I spend $125K?

JLR sold 500 D5's in NA last month. The Defender 130 at $125K will sell like the G-wagon. I've seen one on the road over the last year.

I agree the Luxury Defender is better than the D5 from a styling standpoint but if they push the price up too far sales will fall exponentially. JLR needs volume. That IS a discussion on the new luxury defender, period. During my recent trip to the dealer my LR4, the D5 and where the Luxury Defender needs to go was a topic of discussion.

Here wat ur saying, however as you no doubt know nobody knows the 130 pricetag, 125k base i highly doubt it, it will just have a little more wheelbase thats not going to add US 75k to the base

The defender starts at 50k that is a more real reference.

Someone cant afford a 150k defenfer, get a 100k one, cant afford a 100k one get a 50k one, cant afford that, get a 90 or a commercial.

Luxury?, for sure you can spec it to have leather seats and be very comfortsnble, but every model is extremely utilitarian, double rubber floors, washout, D7x, awesome offroad angles etc etc.

D5 is more luxury, RR is luxury.

This thread was set up to discuss who has ordered a new defender and discuss specs etc) its best top keep as close to topic as possible out of respect to the OP, due to other threads getting shut down due to people arguing and not respecting each others opinion.

blackangie

Wouldn't be surprised to see D5 sales increase as the Luxury Defender is priced high while the D5 is discounted due to low volume. For the US the engine options are pathetic while the D5 can be had with a diesel. Does the Luxury Defender return to command seating, aspects that are pure LR, or does it have a high waist line with higher window that puts the bottom of the window at shoulder height?

JLR is listening and will modify the product roadmaps based on feedback.
You will be pleased to hear it's reported the straight 6 diesel will make it to the US, watched a few reviews of the new defender, the command seating position was mentioned in the positive.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
You will be pleased to hear it's reported the straight 6 diesel will make it to the US, watched a few reviews of the new defender, the command seating position was mentioned in the positive.

I already knew the 6-cyl diesel was hinted at. That could change, the same way JLR has backed away from full electrification. If we don't speak up and let JLR know why demand is less than they anticipated (look no further than this and the other thread for examples of backing away from the Luxury Defender due to NA powertrain options) they will wonder why after the initial surge of 'me first' demand.

Don't take it personal. Its a discussion of a vehicle and its associated product roadmap that is changing as JLR receives feedback on their decisions.

I've seen industry rags describe the new defender as a Luxury Defender. JLR's direction IS adding significant technology/IT.

blackangie

I already knew the 6-cyl diesel was hinted at. That could change, the same way JLR has backed away from full electrification. If we don't speak up and let JLR know why demand is less than they anticipated (look no further than this and the other thread for examples of backing away from the Luxury Defender due to NA powertrain options) they will wonder why after the initial surge of 'me first' demand.

Don't take it personal. Its a discussion of a vehicle and its associated product roadmap that is changing as JLR receives feedback on their decisions.

I've seen industry rags describe the new defender as a Luxury Defender. JLR's direction IS adding significant technology/IT.
Agree with speaking up.

Not sure why you are mentioning personal, my response was just a normal response.

For every industry article that mentions luxury defender, there is probably 20 that don't so based on that, what terminology should be used in all fairness? Modern is probably more fair imo. Luxury is RRs domain.

Google luxury defender, 50/50 old and new defenders come up, and for new its speculation on 130 mainly.

Last edited:

soflorovers

Aweeee sorry blackangie
Did it hurt?
I actually quoted on the post in this tread ?
I'm going to try and extend the olive branch here...I've replied to you in various threads disagreeing with your take on modern LR products, and on the vast majority of those threads you've failed to respond to me. So, I have to ask...have you driven anything built by Land Rover in the past decade or so? Have you driven these vehicles both on and off road? I'm genuinely curious, because I too was once in your camp. For a while I genuinely believed that the old D1/D2s were the ultimate LRs and the LR3/4/D5 were garbage...that is until I drove one. These modern machines are incredibly capable and can be easily modified. I really don't understand, so perhaps you can explain why you're so anti-modern LR.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
500 units ?
Haha next month it will be 400,

The '500 units' is because LR is repositioning the Discovery to a different market segment and that takes time. The target of the new segment alienated the existing LR customer base and LR has not had time to develop its target base. The D5 itself is a good vehicle and will evolve.

The new Defender is targeting the previous customer base and will also have some teething issues but will do well over time. All the bitching you see is actually constructive feedback. We might even see D5 volumes increase now the the Defender has been revealed.

Face it, all manufacturers are moving on from old technology. If they don't they are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior