Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Some questions with the integrated dcdc, will we be able to patch solar into this system, to run fridges etc.

So not having to install another dcdc converter.

Also having a generator, are they less seceptable to water/mud damage then alternators

I highly doubt you will be able to patch in another power source or tap it as this is an integrated / embedded system.

DieselRanger

I meant they would not offer them in the US. They will the rest of the world.
You completely fail to comprehend what I'm saying. If they are NOT going to offer them in the US, then why are they designing them to meet CARB standards?

blackangie

You completely fail to comprehend what I'm saying. If they are NOT going to offer them in the US, then why are they designing them to meet CARB standards?
He fully comprehends you, just seems to be ignoring the facts.

Almost 600,000 cars is not low volume.

Deisels will be sold for a long time, they will just have mhev and hybrid added.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

I highly doubt you will be able to patch in another power source or tap it as this is an integrated / embedded system.
Technically wise, i don't see why its not possible, maybe where the return lines from generator plug in, plug in a T, that allows solar input rather than generator, would have to ensure dcdc converter works when car off.

I'm not auto electrician but I'm sure there could be away, be a shame not to be able ti utilize what is there.

gatorgrizz27

Technically wise, i don't see why its not possible, maybe where the return lines from generator plug in, plug in a T, that allows solar input rather than generator, would have to ensure dcdc converter works when car off.

I'm not auto electrician but I'm sure there could be away, be a shame not to be able ti utilize what is there.

Land Rover’s electrical systems are notoriously sensitive and complex. I’d imagine any input that it recognizes shouldn’t be there will put it into some sort of “emergency shutdown/failsafe” mode.

It appears that they are stepping down the 48v MHEV battery to allow it to power 12v accessories, hopefully the battery has enough capacity to run a fridge for 3 days, and can be recharged quickly by driving a short distance.

If these things are popular enough, I don’t doubt some aftermarket device that allows modifications to it, but it probably won’t be the sort of “dumb electrical” wiring that just requires knowledge and a volt meter.

catmann

Look out for the Defender Sport:

Defender family
L860 is said to be the code for a potential additional Land Rover, expected to be launched in 2021 as part of plans to expand the Defender name into a model line in its own right. The current thinking is believed to be a vision to create a tough-looking 4.1-4.3m long five-door 'Defender Sport' SUV. A three-door might be added later. The look would not be dissimilar to that of the Jeep Renegade. Petrol, petrol-electric and fully electric powertrains should feature, although diesel is not guaranteed.​
It is not yet known what architecture this model will use or where it would be built. There have been assumptions that it will be based on Tata's OMEGA platform but some sources have hinted that it might instead be part of the project to eventually move all JLR vehicles to MLA, a new platform.​
The idea of a B-SUV has been looked at several times over the years, with the most recent provisional project said to have centred on the Tata Motors D10 platform. This is a shortened, re-engineered and low-cost version of the Ford EUCD-derived D8 architecture used for the pre-facelift Discovery Sport.​
Project L851, the so-called 'Discovery Junior' is said to have been shelved or axed in 2017. It had been due to enter production in 2020. L860 is said to have replaced L851.​
The series production L663, revealed to the media and the public at the Frankfurt motor show in September, uses D7x (where x stands for 'extreme'), a version of the D7u unibody platform from the Discovery. Such are the differences that the body-in-white of the Defender has to be made on a different line at the Nitra plant where both vehicles are manufactured.​
To achieve what is said to be an ambitious production target there will eventually be three lengths. These are called 90, 110 and 130: references to wheelbase dimensions in inches of the former shape models. The line-up should be:​
  • 4,323mm long standard wheelbase '90' three-door with seating for five or six (production to start in March 2020)​
  • 4,758mm long extended wheelbase '110' five-door with seating for five, six or five+two (production to start in November 2019)​
  • 5,100mm long extended wheelbase '130' five-door with seating for eight (production to start in August 2020)​
The 90 has a 2,587mm wheelbase while the 110 and 130 share a 3,022mm wheelbase. Plans for pick-ups were apparently dropped.​
Variant names and their engines are expected to be:​
  • D200, 147kW/200PS and 430Nm (317 lb-ft) 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel​
  • D240, 177kW/240PS and 430Nm (317 lb-ft) 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel​
  • D300, 221kW/300PS and 650Nm (479 lb-ft) 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel​
  • P300, 221kW/300PS and 400Nm (295 lb-ft) 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol​
  • P400, 294kW/400PS and 550Nm (406 lb-ft) 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol​
  • P400 PHEV, 297kW/404PS and TBC 2.0-litre Ingenium petrol four-cylinder petrol plus one motor​
In the USA, there should be Federalised 2.0-litre and 3.0-litre gasoline engines producing 296 and 395 horsepower. The previous model hadn't been sold there for a long time due to its lack of airbags. The new vehicle will also be offered in China and there will likely be local assembly at a Tata plant for the Indian market.​
The lifecyle of L663 will be nothing like as long as that of the former L316 shape Defender. Land Rover should facelift the vehicle in 2025 and replace it in 2030.​

blackangie

I sure hope not because that will make the diesel MHEV with all the other 'features' a $15K adder and in the end not be what many here are asking for.
What some people ask for and what govt regs and the emvoronment demand are two different things.
Tech is changing, LR is keeping up with the game.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
More on the 130 from Autocar:
JLR's biggest Defender will have increased usability and a price bump to better compete with the Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Great, the Luxury Defender is headed to $125K price range. I see a train wreck in JLR's future when the economic business cycle turns.

blackangie

Great, the Luxury Defender is headed to $125K price range. I see a train wreck in JLR's future when the economic business cycle turns.
Dont follow your logic, the defender will have options for everyone from cheapish commercial 90 versions to very expensive luxury versions and that could be a train wreck how?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Dont follow your logic, the defender will have options for everyone from cheapish commercial 90 versions to very expensive luxury versions and that could be a train wreck how?

JLR needs volume to survive in current form. Their current balance sheet is 'managed' after a huge writedown and long term tax implications. Moving too far up the ladder will result in lower volumes, financial issues and greater pressure for 'partnerships'. I would suspect that if the 6-cyl diesel comes with MHEV and prices out as a $15K adder 'package' then several here will be looking outside LR for their next vehicle. For me the 90 is too small, the 110 has a shorter wheelbase than my LR4 and the 130 might be too long but need to see it. I do know that I am NOT going to spend $100K on a vehicle that will depreciate like a lead balloon. (Even though I keep my vehicles for a long time) By the time I look at upfront taxes, licensing, annual tax, etc I have much better things to do with $125K that will increase in value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles