Who makes the very best white gas stoves and lanterns?

perkj

Explorer
Is this a backpacking forum?

I love my Svea 123 and my Optimus 8R for their amazing simplicity/reliability. But they are one hit wonders. They boil water. About a liter at a time. They are too small to actually cook on for more than one or two people, but they are great for what they are.

For actually cooking dinner on an off-road trip, a Coleman stove is far better. There's more heat, it's much easier to control, and it isn't that different from cooking at home. Which opens up options for better meals and real cooking. Let's face it, if you're bringing a truck, even a small one like a Jeep, you have plenty of room for a Coleman stove.

A backpacking stove is great for backpacking, it's just very limiting.

Exactly. The context of the question pertained to car camping from what I understood.

They old pumps are bullet proof. Really though there is NO reason a pump should break. I have put my stoves through hell and back. You are doing something wrong if you manage to break a pump. The coleman stoves are huge and weigh so much. I cant justify the size and weight of those over a backpacking stove.

I've seen the plastic pumps accidentally stepped on and break. I agree you shouldn't step on them, but ******** happens sometimes.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can think of a couple other reasons to favor Coleman: The company has been around for quite a while (almost a century, I think) and still makes white gas GPA's (Gas Pressure Appliances.) Parts are widely available everywhere.
Also, because there are a lot of collectors and users, there is a ton of "institutional knowledge" out there. If you have a problem with a Coleman product, I guarantee someone else has had the same problem and probably come up with a way to fix it.
Coleman GPA's almost never wear out (unless they're terribly neglected) and the parts that wear out are usually easily replaceable. They're "modular" so repair parts often work on multiple different models, which makes repairs in the field pretty easy.
Best of all, Coleman GPA's are something that is rare these days: Well made AND inexpensive. I think that's why I like to collect them. They're functional, but they're also beautiful, sturdy and reliable.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of the things I see in antique shops a lot are old lanterns or stoves that are designed to run on types of compressed-gas canisters that no longer exist. I also see the little butane stoves that use the aerosol-type cans for fuel - those cans are not available everywhere. The best propane/butane stove or lantern in the world is a paperweight if you can't get a fuel canister for it (That's one of the reasons I have no interest in collecting propane GPA's. )

With liquid fuel this isn't a problem. White gas is common at most outdoors places and, as your article points out, in a pinch you can use gasoline (over on the Coleman forum, they call it "RUG": Regular Unleaded Gas.)

Toyotero

Explorer
It keeps....damn near forever! This summer I pulled my 424 stove out of storage and fired it up for the first time in nearly 20 years. I didn't add to or change the fuel, just used the half tank that had been there all this time.

I've picked up 4 stoves and two lanterns at thrift stores the last few years, only one stove had problems with the fuel having turned to varnish. I've no idea how old it is, but it could have been 30 years old. I think that it might be wise to store a stove/lantern full so as to leave as little space for the light distillates to evaporate into... or just use it often and it doesn't matter how it is stored. :-D

I picked up an old 288 lantern last week and it had some fuel it in when I got it of unknown age. In the store I pumped it up and tested that it didn't seem to leak anywhere and that the pump and valve worked. I took it home, pumped it up, noticed that the mantles were new and hadn't yet been burned, so I burned them and it fired pretty much right up. The fuel is noticeably old considering how it starts up, but topping off with fresh white gas will clear that up I expect.

The one thing that I've found to often be a problem and can be a real challenge to resolve is if the one-way check valve in the pump is gummed up. "The mission here is to keep pressure from leaving the fount but allowing it to get in. The check valve has a ball bearing in it that performs this function." If it sticks open, or is slow to close, it can allow pressurized air/fuel vapor to escape the pump inlet (what you cover with your thumb) which is smelly or potentially dangerous if it is being pumped while lit. I had one stove that had an issue with that, but I was able to dissolve the varnish/gum and clean it to fully functional by removing the pump piston/cover and pouring carb cleaner into it and letting it soak a few days. Technically the valve can be removed and replaced, but from what I've read and how it looked, it is difficult to remove if it is gummed up and likely to screw up the threads and such where it installs down in the base of the pump. Other than that, they are pretty flawless and rebuild-able.

If y'all haven't yet seen it, oldtowncoleman.com is a wealth of info about these old devices:
http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/tech/re2lanta.htm

re2lantafig15.jpg

Does anyone know where to get new seals for the valve on a stove tank? I have one that leaks liquid gas out around the shaft (near the handle that you turn) and it looks simple enough to disassemble, but I've been unable to find the part to install.

Oh, and regarding travel with a fueled stove that I didn't see anyone mention... I believe Coleman's instructions state that it is safe, but the stove should be depressurized before it is packed for travel. This is done by opening the fuel tank cap enough to vent the pressure. After that, it is safe to travel in a vehicle... the risk being that if the valve were bumped/turned while packed away or in a vehicle, it would start releasing pressurized gas vapor into the vehicle.

Cheers.

taugust

Adventurer
Old Coleman is the best. Ebay is OK, but check your local Craigslist for great deals.

I have a 413D from the early 50's, and a 426C 3 burner from the 60's. Also have a 220 and a 200A lanterns to go with my 288 modern from the 80's. Replacement parts can be found on Ebay as well. I bought a set of 10 fuel cap gaskets that someone makes out of nitrile for a few bucks. Probably will never have to replace those. Do a search for replacement instructions. Caps can be bought restored and painted to match your tank, or unpainted brass.

taugust

Adventurer
The valve packing can still be purchased directly from Coleman as well. I bought "1" and got a set of 10. Check the website or call directly. Make sure you remove all of the old hard packing from inside the nut. A tightening of the nut will cure some leaks, as mentioned, temporarily.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I've spent lots of money with Old Coleman Parts over the years. Super customer service, original factory parts, and a huge selection. Highly recommended in my book...Jerry

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Old Coleman stuff is the way to go. Made in a time where quality rivaled quantity. Growing up in the Boy Scouts, due to safety blah blah blah, we used propane stoves and lanterns. We did use some MSR white gas backpacking stoves during backpacking trips, and they always seemed to burned hotter regardless of temperature or altitude. Figuring all the benefits of white gas over propane, I ditched all my propane stuff and only carry white gas. It's amazing how much less fuel you need to carry for the same btu's with the white gas. I'll surely never go back.

image.jpg
Late 1960's Coleman 425. Runs like a champ.
image.jpg
Have to have the matching lantern so you can see what your cooking.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I am restoring a few of these as well. I'm thinking of grabbing the valve to allow me to run propane in my 400, as well as white gas. I second and third old Coleman parts, as well as Coleman itself. Great, great products.

Sent from a tablet more powerful than WOPR

kj4vyi

old colman better stuff

Been using white gas for as long as i can remember !!

A friend of mine gave me an old stove that was painted orange and i have been in the process of restoring it, it was posted on the coleman collectors forum but looks like i cant find it !! I am still working on it little by little. When i get a chance ill find some of the photos and post them up.

I did restore an old 500 series single burner and it worked great but i dont really use it as i have a 2 burner we use on campouts.

In the family barn there are quite a few lanterns that i want to get and start using again they have been hangin for close to 20 to 30 years. I will have to get new photos of them and post up here

i dont like to use the propane bottles cuz there is not really a place to recycle them

will be taking my son on his first scout campout this weekend and will be able to use the #2 stove i have for cooking. We have been many times before so the stove has had many uses and never lets me down -- a little maintenance after the or before a campout your gear will last a lifetime !!

Chad KJ4VYI

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In the family barn there are quite a few lanterns that i want to get and start using again they have been hangin for close to 20 to 30 years. I will have to get new photos of them and post up here
Hey if you're interested in getting rid of any, hit me up via PM. There are a few I need for my collection (specifically a single mantle blue/black Sears. I have big and small hat double mantle Sears lanterns and need the single mantle to complete the set.)
Oh, and if you have any that are an ugly mustard yellow, they're not worth anything but I'll take them off your hands for five bucks just because I like you. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles