Who is using Goal Zero Yeti to power your fridge?

mulze22

30-32 hours from a warm start. If I pre-chill the stuff going in fridge, 35 hours. This was bench tested in my garage (no AC, but out of sun, in 90 degree weather).

Interesting and in comparison to say a dual battery set-up could I expect the same performance without charging?

pluton

Adventurer
Quick reference: One Group 34 Odyssey/DieHard AGM runs my Engel MT45 for at least three days in hot weather on camping trips, presumably longer in cooler weather. Has been doing that for over 5 years, so the battery is surviving OK and presumably not damaged. I'd expect six days on 2 of these batteries.

snitz427

I have a Dometic CFX75 which is a dual zone fridge. It's huge... but I like it. When I have it set to fridge/freezer, and the compressor is running, it uses around 50-60watts, and 6 watts when compressor is off. I get between 7-9 hours with this setup without any charging. I'd imagine if I only used the fridge setting it would last much longer.

I have two Boulder 50s that I can use to charge the fridge when we are stationary. Haven't had much success with that yet, mainly because my most recent trip was in a heavily wooded area in a week of torrential rain... so no magic sunshine rays to recharge. I just picked up a lithium model from the REI labor day sale, so it will be interesting to compare the two models. I do appreciate the weight savings! I don't plan on running both batteries if camping out of the 4R only - but I would bring both if using my camper + 4R.

dstock

Explorer
Quick reference: One Group 34 Odyssey/DieHard AGM runs my Engel MT45 for at least three days in hot weather on camping trips, presumably longer in cooler weather. Has been doing that for over 5 years, so the battery is surviving OK and presumably not damaged. I'd expect six days on 2 of these batteries.

Curious to see what you consider "hot" temps? Also, you are saying 3 days straight without any outside charge? I assume you are putting the battery on a charger when you bring it back home if you are discharging that deeply.

Superduty

Adventurer
Way to expensive in my mine when I can power my ARB from my jeep battery for 4 days w/o having it run.

And I would go with a dual battery set-up way before bying a goal zero.

What size ARB?

What Jeep battery are you using (group size/brand/model)?

RogueWon

Like @snitz427 I'm working with a Dometic CFX75 right now (kind of testing within the Amazon return period, so to speak). Yeti 400 lead-acid hooked to the 12v line for the vehicle alternator ((yup, you need to contact GZ directly for the 12v charger cable) -

I switch over to a Renogy Eclips Mono 100w panel when stationary.

I'm also running a second 12v deep-cycle battery chained w/ the Yeti (great deal on a ready-made Anderson to battery cable here - one piece, unlike the GZ version)

Yes - It's HUGE... holds a TON but it does not 'sip power.' Fridge is 'outside' on the trailer with the thermal cover - we were hitting temps in the high 90s all weekend.

I ran the system in the field this weekend and I concur w/ @snitz427 on consumption - w/ freezer side at -7F and fridge side at 27F the draw runs about 60watts ... the single Renogy generates up to 85 watts in full sun/perfect angle conditions - about 50 watts average. Like @dstock points out, environmental conditions will greatly affect performance ...

I this heat, I estimate the sys would run for three or four days under best conditions - starting with the Yeti/chain topped off, good/sunny weather, going back and forth with solar day and starting battery overnight but looking at diminishing returns and likely going dark by day four.

Soooo... I'll prolly double the panels and add a second battery to the chain ... that should do the trick - because dudes, this puppy makes ice!

takethetruck

We ended up landing on an Inergy Kodiak to power our ARB fridge, for 2 primary reasons - allows 240w+ input from the 12v vehicle charger (yeti is 120watt input via car charger), higher capacity (1100watts), and size 7" tall x 14" wide x 8" deep. We stay stationary for 4-5 days at a time and wanted something to cover that span and recharge a little quicker than the yeti while on the road.

We've got a full write up on our decision process and how we wired it into our setup to auto-charge when the truck is running using a bosh-type relay - this should work with the yeti too.

Oconnorb

I went with the lead battery vs lithium, as I can charge the system off the G1s alternator as with the lithium you aren’t able to. Started with a 400, added two more 400 batteries via the side links and have a 1200 system for less than $500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior