Who is pulling an off road trailer with their Taco?

Etoimos

Observer
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Taco and have plans for an off road trailer as well. I'd love to ask some questions to those that have this setup.

kdj

Observer
1522890997833_IMG_0707.JPG

Not taco but same running gear. Just got back from SE trip with my trailer did fine. Not a rocket ship on the freeway on ramps but did plenty good. Only real draw back was having to get gas every 250 miles. But thats an fj problem.

Etoimos

Observer
Not know how similar the Taco and FJ are, what is stock mpg on the FJ and what were you getting pulling the trailer? What does your loaded trailer weigh?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
2011 Tacoma, DCLB, V6, Auto.

I pull a ~2,500lb loaded trailer (And I'm likely being quite generous there...), and haven't really noticed a significant impact to my fuel economy. Still average 18-20mpg with the trailer.

Last edited:

kdj

Observer
Stock FJ mileage is about 18 mpg. I was getting on average 16 mpg running 70ish on highway through hills of NC, KY, and TN. Trailer weight a generous 2000 lbs + roof top tent. If you didn't know the FJ has really a small tank. But someone usually has to pee or somthing so the range is fine for my needs. I think a Tacoma is rated better MPG.

Etoimos

Observer
2011 Tacoma, DCLB, V6, Auto.

I pull a ~2,500lb loaded trailer (And I'm likely being quite generous there...), and haven't really noticed a significant impact to my fuel economy. Still average 18-20mpg with the trailer.

Thanks for the details. What locations to you explore in the most? Do much mountain driving with the trailer in tow?

Stock FJ mileage is about 18 mpg. I was getting on average 16 mpg running 70ish on highway through hills of NC, KY, and TN. Trailer weight a generous 2000 lbs + roof top tent. If you didn't know the FJ has really a small tank. But someone usually has to pee or somthing so the range is fine for my needs. I think a Tacoma is rated better MPG.

That's not a bad drop in mpg pulling a trailer in the hills.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
In our 2015 Tacoma Acess Cab TRD Off Road: We’re towing a Forrest River hard sided pop up weighing in at 3500 wet. I’ve got a couple thousand pounds (maybe less) in the truck as payload too. It’s a mild but expensive build with All Pro Expedition springs, 3” Stage 7 Icon full system with tubular arms, 33” tires, ARE topper, Yakima bars on top, bedslide, some custom cab boxes, tools and gear storage in bed, dual battery system and steel winch bumper up front and steel bumper rear. Etc.

Mileage before and without towing..on flat ground....with my heavy foot is 16 at best. Towing it’s 12 so far. Was 14 with the RTT. This is without driving style to maximize mpg. I’m working the towing mpg higher and modifying the trailer to better balance the load. I think we can get up to the 14 towing the trailer.....with some practice. Also considering some exhaust mods which may help.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Thanks for the details. What locations to you explore in the most? Do much mountain driving with the trailer in tow?

I'm in Alberta currently, but most of my mountain driving has been around Nelson, Merritt, and Kamloops BC. Everything from logging roads to sketchy quad trails. I really don't pay much attention to fuel economy once I'm on the trails though, there's 20L of fuel in the bed of the truck for just in case, but have never had a problem so far. Like you said about the loss, I'd probably venture a guess at 13-15mpg on the trails... Or less if I'm following my old man. Heaven forbid he get a scratch on his BJ60

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I have a 2011 Tacoma V6 2wd Double Cab. I also have a 2008 FJ 4x4. Tacoma is stock. FJ is lifted with MTs, bumpers, re-gear, etc.

Tacoma with no trailer is 21-ish. With a trailer I am lucky to get 16-17. I drive like an old man.

My FJ gets about 12-13 with the same trailer. 16 with no trailer.

Etoimos

Observer
I have a 2011 Tacoma V6 2wd Double Cab. I also have a 2008 FJ 4x4. Tacoma is stock. FJ is lifted with MTs, bumpers, re-gear, etc.

Tacoma with no trailer is 21-ish. With a trailer I am lucky to get 16-17. I drive like an old man.

My FJ gets about 12-13 with the same trailer. 16 with no trailer.

Thanks for that. What area are you pulling the trailer at with the Taco?

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Thanks for that. What area are you pulling the trailer at with the Taco?
All highway towing with the Tacoma. Mostly in Arizona. My experience is that Toyota’s do NOT like steep or long gradual hills. My FJ does better on hills because of the re-gear though. ?4BC1A315-6D03-4EEA-B714-37B5F45464E5.jpeg

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
I tow a So-Cal 510 with my 2012 Tacoma, 33s on both. 4.56 gears were the best mod to date, though it towed okay with stock gearing it's much happier now. I have the "tow package" but upgraded the tranny cooler to get the temps even lower. No idea on mileage, don't want to know! Any questions feel free to ask.

dsc_0012-2016-06-12t21_36_31-916-jpg.378276

Etoimos

Observer
All highway towing with the Tacoma. Mostly in Arizona. My experience is that Toyota’s do NOT like steep or long gradual hills. My FJ does better on hills because of the re-gear though. ?

So they don't like steep hills or long gradual ones... sounds like towing out here in the Rockies would not be much better with a Taco :(

I tow a So-Cal 510 with my 2012 Tacoma, 33s on both. 4.56 gears were the best mod to date, though it towed okay with stock gearing it's much happier now. I have the "tow package" but upgraded the tranny cooler to get the temps even lower. No idea on mileage, don't want to know! Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks. Right now my major focus is on mpg while towing and how well it would tow out here in Colorado.

Clutch

<---Pass
So they don't like steep hills or long gradual ones... sounds like towing out here in the Rockies would not be much better with a Taco :(
Thanks. Right now my major focus is on mpg while towing and how well it would tow out here in Colorado.

I have been all over AZ and CO....towing with the Tacoma will be painful.

If you're concerned about mileage, might want to look at the Colorado diesel. They can be had for about the same as a Tacoma right now. So don't really get nicked with the diesel upcharge, you find with the fullsizes.

May want to contact forum member Upcruiser about his, he tows a lot more than an small offroad trailer, seems pretty happy with his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles