Who here Mtn Bikes CO?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
GaryMc said:
These are great, light'ish and with a pass thru for mud
I can second that the M540 is a great pedal at ~$60. Other than the M970, none have been nearly as smooth or bulletproof as the old M737, but then again most of the current pedals weigh half as much.

View attachment 11303

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The 540 Shimano pedal is the workhorse of mountain pedals. Sold on millions of bikes. The float sucks unless you back off the tension considerably, but the cleats last forever and the pedals seem to enjoy a little abuse.

My favorite pedal is the mid/upper end Egg Beaters. Not so much the Candy pedals. Regular EBs are so easy to get in out and the float has certainly saved my knees during my low rep single speed climbs. The cleats suck. Very soft. I even ruined one in a bad crash.

Speedplay's Frogs are okay, but I had durability issues and the cleats fouled too easy in sand.

If you used and enjoyed those Onzas, you'd probably dig EBs.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The elastomers on my pedals are shot and to make things worse I can't find my old Sidi's. I really did like the Onza's, simple and reliable. I tried to ride with old flat petals but I can't seem to get the bike in the air anymore without clipless.

One of these days when I can get into Photobucket, I'll post up a pic. My bike is a classic, 1993 Klein Rascal with XT/XTR components. I also have some Syncros junk put on there for good measure. I love my bike but it has seen it's fair share or storage rot. My dad put it out in the shed and it got banged up a little so that paintjob that Klein is know for has some scratches that I didn't put on it (earn). Oh well.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm on Time pedals, they are like egg beaters but everything lasts for ever. They get sweeter and smoother the more you ride them. My current ones are from... '01? I get a year easily out of the cleats with almost daily riding.. No complaints what so ever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior