Who has the oldest, still working 12 volt fridge/freezer?

Vinman

Observer
Like the title says, who has the oldest 12 volt fridge that still works?
Make? model? year purchased? Approximate percentage of time it ran since new? did it require any repairs?

I have an Engel MT35 I purchased new in 2003 or 04 and it’s been running at least 80-85% of the time since new. In fact, it’s been over 5 years since it’s been shut off for more than a few minutes. I’ve also done absolutely zero maintenance since new.

Just curious how many other “older“ fridges are out there and still running.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Have an ARB from 08 or 09 that has been running constantly since then. Its used as an extra in the garage when not in the truck.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Like the title says, who has the oldest 12 volt fridge that still works?
Make? model? year purchased? Approximate percentage of time it ran since new? did it require any repairs?
. . .
Just curious how many other “older“ fridges are out there and still running.

Norcold DE 251D, manufacturing tag says 1982.
I bought the camper it is in ('77 Grandby) 6 years ago, so don't know the history before I got it.
I run it about 100 days a year - except this year.
Freezer compartment doesn't keep things frozen any longer but it still keeps things at ~34º.

billiebob

Kooltron 12V Cooler, almost 40 years old works flawlessly in total silence with zero moving parts. Bought it 10 years ago for $10 in a garage sale.

I admit I'd love a 20L real fridge but $10, 10 years later is a buy.

Kooltrons tend to be power hogs so I unplug it at night but the next morning it is still cool enough. This 42F was during a summer never cooler than 85F. Plug it in and drive and it drops to 35Fish.

IMG_1425.jpg

Last edited:

Vinman

Observer
What happened to all the replies to this post? A couple of weeks ago there were at least two pages of replies and now they disappeared.

86scotty

Cynic
We had a Koolatron when I was growing up. I wonder what happened to that thing? Hauled it all over the country in the back of Dad's 78 Volvo wagon with me and my brother and a big box of Legos.

I never keep stuff long enough to qualify for this thread.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
What happened to all the replies to this post? A couple of weeks ago there were at least two pages of replies and now they disappeared.

It appears that this is a duplicate of your original thread started 8/03/2020

I reported it to the mods the other day and asked them to merge these two threads, but they never did.

All the conversations are in the other thread linked above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94