who has put a 2200R into a 1988 pickup V6 frame

MOguy

Explorer
I have a 2200R and want to put it into a 4x4 P/U frame from a 1986. Motor mounts don't line up. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
We told you this would happen in your other thread. You have to cut-and-reweld them when swapping between the R (4 cylinder) blocks and VZ (V6) blocks.

If you get the motor mounts reworked to locate the engine you may also find the cross member mounts under the transfer case aren't in the same location either. Not 100% sure on that, though.

MOguy

Explorer
We told you this would happen in your other thread. You have to cut-and-reweld them when swapping between the R (4 cylinder) blocks and VZ (V6) blocks.

If you get the motor mounts reworked to locate the engine you may also find the cross member mounts under the transfer case aren't in the same location either. Not 100% sure on that, though.

Just hoping for the easy way out before we get out the torch. The trans will be close but we may have to make a plate for that.

MOguy

Explorer
Okay I'll take the ones out of the 4-cylinder frame. They sit about 2 inches closer to the front then the mounts on the 6 cylinder frame. Should I weld them in where they were on the 4-cylinder frame or while the men were they were on the.

If I do it that way it looks like the transmission should line up with the transmission mount out of the 4-cylinder frame.

bkg

Explorer
secondarily... there's no such thing as a 2200r. it's a 22r or 22RE. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're trying to do a swap and don't seem to know what you're even swapping.

you will NEVER be able to bolt the 22rx to an R150 transmission without an R151 bell housing. Period.

Since no one asked.. Why are you trying to do this?

MOguy

Explorer
secondarily... there's no such thing as a 2200r. it's a 22r or 22RE. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're trying to do a swap and don't seem to know what you're even swapping.

you will NEVER be able to bolt the 22rx to an R150 transmission without an R151 bell housing. Period.

Since no one asked.. Why are you trying to do this?

My kid was in an accident on with the 4cyl and bent the frame. The donor truck is an 88 with a blown V6 and rusted out cab but good frame.

I answered your question, can you answer mine?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Burn the mounts in where they were on the 4cyl frame.

Measure, measure, measure, and re-measure. Tack, and then measure again for good "measure".

Lol...

DaveInDenver

I believe the V6 mounts were about 4 inches forward of where the 22R mounts sit. I'd be sure to do as battleaxe says, tack them in place and make sure the drivetrain sits where it needs to. I assume we're talking about the G54/RF1A transmission and t-case coming with the engine.

MOguy

Explorer
I believe the V6 mounts were about 4 inches forward of where the 22R mounts sit. I'd be sure to do as battleaxe says, tack them in place and make sure the drivetrain sits where it needs to. I assume we're talking about the G54/RF1A transmission and t-case coming with the engine.

This is a pic of my son and a friend helping me. This pic is the 4 cyl motor and its trans/tcase sitting in he 6 cyl frame.
21078740_1787896144558736_651827946987942587_n.jpg

the 4 cyl motor mounts are 2 inches forward of were the 6 cyl mounts are. The 6 cyl frame is 1/2 and inch wider in that area.
Both motors have the same trans and Tcase. The 4 cyl had fuel injection and it (carbed now), the trans and the Tcase came out of an earlier 90s P/U from what the previous owner told me.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Looking good.

My mistake, I thought the V6 mounts were more forward to clear the oil filter. I never personally swapped a 22R for 3VZ so I'm just going on memory. Wasn't aware the frame dimensions were different. I know the IFS and solid axle frames were different, but we never got both at the same time so both your 86 and 88 should be IFS frames.

The transmissions and transfer cases aren't supposed to be the same unless someone swapped the bellhousing from a R151 (from the turbo 22R-TE in 86 and 87) onto the V6 transmission. Originally the 22R had a G54 in 1986 and all 4 cylinder 79-95 had a gear driven RF1A transfer case. The V6 got a R150 transmission and a VF1A chain-driven transfer case. The bellhousing bolt patterns aren't the same between the blocks.

It's possible you have a W56 transmission (that's what it looks like to me honestly, W56A or W56B before they went to forward shift t-case in 1989), which is what was behind the 22R-E EFI 4 cylinders.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles