Who has had both a mounted awning and a tarp style awning

Outdoorsben

Observer
Curious who's had a mounted awning i.e. ARB vs the tarp style awning i.e. Slumberjack.

I've got a half rack on my Jeep as my front panels are off a lot of the time so I'm deciding vs the two options. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ventura911

Adventurer
I had an ARB 1250 on my Jeep when I had a roof rack; it worked well off the back. When I upgraded to an Ursa Minor camper top, I went with a Scipio by SoCal Teardrops; it worked okay off the passenger side, but was a bit difficult to roll up solo and was rather large hanging off the side. Now, however, I use two Force Protector tarps, allowing me to attach to snaps I have along both sides and the back. I have many more options now and no longer have anything hanging off the Jeep when not set up.

jeepers29

I have an ARB 2500 that is attached to the RTT. It covers drivers side. I made a DIY tarp 6x8 that deploys off the rear for when I am cooking at the back of our jeep. This way I am not taking up leisure space when I cook.

Outdoorsben

Observer
I had an ARB 1250 on my Jeep when I had a roof rack; it worked well off the back. When I upgraded to an Ursa Minor camper top, I went with a Scipio by SoCal Teardrops; it worked okay off the passenger side, but was a bit difficult to roll up solo and was rather large hanging off the side. Now, however, I use two Force Protector tarps, allowing me to attach to snaps I have along both sides and the back. I have many more options now and no longer have anything hanging off the Jeep when not set up.
Have any pics, curious to see how the Force is setup.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have this E-Bay special on my Jeep ($110.00) mounted to my roof-rack on the driver's side. I think they all have a similar design, but of course there are differences in parts (metal vs. plastic) and price. And I think you might sometimes be paying a bit for the name (my opinion). Mine is the 6.6' x 8.2' in gray (in the link they sell them in larger sizes). So far so good - I've used it a few times. It is a bear to put up by yourself though (I'm sure they all are) - gets a little better with practice. Try an inexpensive one before you spring for an expensive name-brand canopy.

I like it. First picture is when I set it up for the first time in the driveway (with wife and Lucky-dog). I usually have one corner lower than the other in case it rains - that way the water will flow to the low corner and drain vs. pooling on the fabric. Only problem is, if I want to cook on the tailgate, I'm not covered. I can put a little folding table by the side of the Jeep though under the canopy to cook on.

On my most recent adventure (pretty much a fail - long story - see link below), I also set-up my Slumberjack tarp for the first time (rain and snow in August!). I like it (second and third pictures). Wasn't too difficult to set-up for the first time (first time I'd taken it out of the package and read the instructions). It covered the back of my Jeep (and also connected my "RTT" to my Jeep). Not the prettiest set-up, but I was racing the rain and snow. It did the job quite well. I was able to get stuff out of the back of the Jeep, go back-and-forth between the Jeep and tent, and stay dry.

Read all about it - trip fail: https://www.northwestoverland.com/forum/main/comment/5d538c58a6acf900162ad551 (you want "Trip Report" posted Aug 21)

I think both have their place.
canopy.25.jpgArctic trip.4.jpgArctic Trip.5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior