Who are the good cost effective insurers for an imported G250 "Wolf"?

Sid Post

Observer
I called my normal insurer and asked about basic coverage for compliance with Texas registration and was totally denied. Before I start going to independent brokers, I thought I would ask about what insurers current owners are using. What 'ballpark' cost am I looking at the mandatory liability minimums or a little better (thinking Texas minimums don't cover a lot of vehicles on the road today).

If it matters, this will be my third vehicle and not a 'daily driver'! ;)

TIA,
Sid

Arie Intveld

Sid,

I'm in Canada and I insured my Wolf as a collector vehicle through Hagerty with $2 million public liability coverage. My annual premium is CDN$217.00 but I'm limited to Sunday cruising, parades, car shows and less than 5000 miles per year. I have never tried getting insurance through the usual insurers like State Farm or Alstate.

Arie

Sid Post

Observer
Thanks Arie! Hagerty is an insurer I hadn't really considered thinking it was really for the Pebble Beach collector crowd.

Metric

My Wolf is with Hagerty too. It’s affordable. Also has a nice magazine they publish periodically.

Sid Post

Observer
I finally managed to get a quote from Progressive. Don't waste your time calling them directly though. After three phone calls with really good customer service, the last one being around 90 minutes long, all avenues for liability insurance were exhausted.

After several tries with different agents from different companies, being told I could use 'commercial' coverage, and other things that turned out to be untrue because the VIN could not be read by "their" system, I was on the verge of giving up but, tenacity paid off.

Today, I got a Progressive quote from an independent insurance agent for 6 months for 100K/300K/100K liability coverage that was $235 on a 'Wolf' valued at $22K. While this is a lot more than my 2000 model pickup, in the grand scheme of things it isn't too bad once you get past all the VIN quote problems with an agent like the one I found.

? And best of all, I'm not limited to just parades and a few miles a month! I can drive it all day, every day, and the only limit on miles and places is my ability to afford more diesel! ?

WOODY2

Adventurer
I finally managed to get a quote from Progressive. Don't waste your time calling them directly though. After three phone calls with really good customer service, the last one being around 90 minutes long, all avenues for liability insurance were exhausted.

After several tries with different agents from different companies, being told I could use 'commercial' coverage, and other things that turned out to be untrue because the VIN could not be read by "their" system, I was on the verge of giving up but, tenacity paid off.

Today, I got a Progressive quote from an independent insurance agent for 6 months for 100K/300K/100K liability coverage that was $235 on a 'Wolf' valued at $22K. While this is a lot more than my 2000 model pickup, in the grand scheme of things it isn't too bad once you get past all the VIN quote problems with an agent like the one I found.

? And best of all, I'm not limited to just parades and a few miles a month! I can drive it all day, every day, and the only limit on miles and places is my ability to afford more diesel! ?
I would make sure you are really insured, if the parent co. wouldn't I find it a bit strange that an independent could push it thru?

Metric

USAA has difficulty with my Wolf. They passed me off to one of their partner insurers who eventually ran into the problem of trying to establish the original (1990) purchase price. Since it was a military vehicle I didn’t know what to tell them. I think they would have taken my best guess but by that time I had already been on the phone for nearly two hours which was enough time to sign up for Hagerty online.

Roverchef

Adventurer
USAA has difficulty with my Wolf. They passed me off to one of their partner insurers who eventually ran into the problem of trying to establish the original (1990) purchase price. Since it was a military vehicle I didn’t know what to tell them. I think they would have taken my best guess but by that time I had already been on the phone for nearly two hours which was enough time to sign up for Hagerty online.
Don't over complicate the situation. Next time tell them what the vehicle is worth to you and they will write a policy for that amount.

Metric

Don't over complicate the situation. Next time tell them what the vehicle is worth to you and they will write a policy for that amount.
Oh I did tell them what it is worth to me and I was very reasonable about it. But they specifically wanted to know the original “purchase” price. Again this was not USAA. USAA did not want to insure the 250GD and handed me over to one of their partner insurers. All of my other G’s including my old 460 (now sold) have been insured by USAA though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles