Whitefish Point, MI

taco2go

Explorer
A last-minute change in call schedules allowed for a quick trip up to Whitefish point last weekend . Dusted with 2 inches of snow on Sunday-:REOutCampFire03: Autumn on the wane..

The trusty camera case
680278163_kZqfL-L.jpg

680336166_jUJao-L.jpg

680327838_tdpHK-L.jpg

Absolutely freaky "doughnut cloud"- courtesy of lake effect:
680202358_wKMVz-L.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Very nice photos! I grew up in Grand Rapids, I miss that area. Spent many many days along the various coasts and waterways.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Joash, are you using Color Efex software? The glow and cross process filters look familiar. Nice shots by the way.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Don't listen to ^ this guy Joash. Every photographer from the likes of Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, to modern day masters like Daryl Benson have manipulated their raw images to some degree, film or digital it doesn't matter. Photography is about how you express the moment to others. Sorry for the hijack but this post reminds me of something another fantastic photographer once wrote. Guy Tal, some of you may have heard of him, he's kinda a big deal in the world of photography. He once wrote this.

Ever wonder what makes one image “better” than another? In some cases it may be obvious – one may have more compelling subject matter, another might suffer from poor technique, some benefit from fortuitous circumstances (”same place, but with a rainbow on top”) etc. Still, most of these can be canceled out through practice or luck. There is still that “something,” though — that elusive “je ne sais quoi” — that sets off great from good. It is why some can produce great work more consistently than others, even working in the same medium and with the same subjects and using the same tools.

More often than not, the difference comes to something very basic: excellence requires hard work. Those who choose the comfort of motorized access will never have the same selection of locations as those willing to trek on and off the trails. Those who prefer automation to manual control will always be at the mercy of little electronic brains. Those who prefer to work light and fast will rarely produce the same compositional balance and attention to nuances as those who take their time to study, consider, and experiment. Those who are naive enough to believe that clicking the shutter button in the right place at the right time is all it takes to make a great photograph will not benefit from the same versatility of those willing to spend the time studying, and fine-tuning every last pixel in post-processing.

As Thomas Edison put it: genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. In practically every case the better image is a result of more hard labor: more sore muscles, more heavy lifting, more shivering, more sweating, more bleeding, more discomfort, and yes – more posterior-numbing time spent staring at a screen. Better images are almost always the result of commitment and an obsessive drive, of a self-critical state of mind that just won’t settle for “good enough”.

As with so many other things, the law of diminishing returns is very much at play. With some practice, the vast majority of people can consistently make good images. The jump from “good” to “very good” is a steep one, and the one from “very good” to “great” a hundred times so. When you’re close to the edge even small gains come at great cost. That tiny margin at the very height of the game is what excellence is made of. Equipment will only get you so far, even opportunity and vision will only get you so far. That last percentage point is all about you and how far you’re willing to push yourself.

There may come a day when technology allows for visualization, or seeing the finished image in one’s “mind’s eye,” to translate instantly into a great work of art, bypassing laborious trekking, camera controls, and post-processing. Until then, take a long hard look at just how far you’re willing to go for your art. Just how passionate you are, and how much you’re willing to sacrifice.

Call me cynical but when someone protests about the “other guy” having better gear, or using Photoshop, or having more time, I hear excuses. Most of us are fortunate to live in times of opportunity, where our basic needs are met, where information and education are readily available, where almost anyone can do almost anything if they want it badly enough.

Want to explore and experience wild natural beauty but are not comfortable hiking, backpacking, or camping? Get comfortable!

Think your images don’t live up to their potential because you’re not good with Photoshop? Get good!

Want to spend more time outdoors but can’t because of work, or because of where you live? Don’t take the time – make the time!

Passion and hard work and risk and personal sacrifice transform into results. Excuses remain excuses.

Guy

Sexy6Chick

Adventurer
Don't listen to ^ this guy Joash. Every photographer from the likes of Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, to modern day masters like Daryl Benson have manipulated their raw images to some degree, film or digital it doesn't matter. Photography is about how you express the moment to others. Sorry for the hijack but this post reminds me of something another fantastic photographer once wrote. Guy Tal, some of you may have heard of him, he's kinda a big deal in the world of photography. He once wrote this.

Well said! Photos looks great! I will have to experience fall vicariously through photos like these :)

alexrex20

Explorer

Ansel Adams took color away from his photos, and did not use any digital trickery. he was a good photographer, not a good photoshopper. don't confuse the two.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice shots as always Joash. Thanks for sharing. Alexrex20, your tone and attitude isn't appreciated. Kind of an unsolicited attack in a low class manner. There can be no room for art in photography huh? Interesting take. No matter how he processes his shots, the fact is he has a great eye and I for one appreciate the work he shares.

taco2go

Explorer
Don't listen to ^ this guy Joash. Every photographer from the likes of Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, to modern day masters like Daryl Benson have manipulated their raw images to some degree, film or digital it doesn't matter. Photography is about how you express the moment to others. Sorry for the hijack but this post reminds me of something another fantastic photographer once wrote. Guy Tal, some of you may have heard of him, he's kinda a big deal in the world of photography. He once wrote this.[/QUOTE

Thanks everyone, we love that area. I have some more that I'll post up in a bit.

Trevor I always appreciate your input and willingness to share your creativity on this forum. Some thoughts on the pics that I probably should post in your thread on post processing; #4 and the last picture are examples of my humble forays with the niksoftware filters - I would love to own a Singh-Ray Vari ND and Gold n Blue polarizer some day. Admittedly, I got into filters all because of your awesome captures. I just finished "mountain light"- by Galen Rowell- ranks up there with one of the more influential books I've had the pleasure of reading.

In pics 9 and 10 I used a multiple exposure blend technique albeit in a very primitive fashion - based on a web seminar by Jay Patel- another photographer I learned about from one of your links. (Basically adjust exposure for highlights, then adjust a version for shadows, then use a gradient mask) I am honestly intrigued with this method and would like to try it out on more pictures.

I am having problems with the native WB ( I usually leave it on Auto) being rendered too 'green' when imported into LR2- this was mainly on the sunrise (eg pic #5) shots- I took about 15 or so pictures at that spot, and had to spend a lot of time getting the original WB back. Not sure what happened there.

But, no worries on the 'comment'- I have a pretty decent "noise filter" (something you aquire early on in med school.) The pictures run the gamut of, straight-out of-camera, to hand held grad filter assists, to multiple exposure blends.
If anyone wants a step-by-step on any of the photographs- I can send you some notes by PM. I do not have a set system for post processing yet, and I am still finding my way - taking my time, voraciously reading, and enjoying the journey.

....And no, you don't gotta love Photoshop- but I'm def willing to learn. :)

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
not a single part of my statement is untrue.

Guy, let it go. Photography as a medium is art, nothing in photography is exact to real life so if you're looking to split hairs as to what's real and what's not go nuts, but you're only making yourself look ignorant to the entire topic. I don't believe Joash asked for your ten cents worth of flippant commentary so you should back off this thread. Start your own thread if you wish to rant about digi manipulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior