White Turtle III - Ford Transit - The build and adventure!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
The hunter becomes the hunted

Read about it on my blog

Waterton20190810I187c-1024x682.jpg

Reactions: WVI

Photomike

Been a while. If you are interested in following the Turtle III I am now on Facebook and Instagram. Easier to update.

White Turtle Adventures

White Turtle Adventures (@whiteturtleadventures) • Instagram photos and videos

So this past week I was heading to some doctor's appointments out of town. I had some time and came to a weigh scale. Thought it would be cool to see how much I weighed.

Since the last time, I added a second group 31 battery, moved both batteries to the back in front of the axle and put in a couple LARGE sandbags for the winter. I did pull out the inflatable kayak, minus 30c does not make for easy paddling. Plus I added another counter. Want to weigh those sandbags by themselves.

So last time the weights were...

Front axle - 1590 kg - 3,498 lbs
Rear axle - 1380 kg - 3,036 lbs
Total 2970 kg - 6,534 lbs

This time.....
Front Axle - 1560 kg - 3440 lbs
Rear Axle - 1540 kg - 3396 lbs
Total - 3100 kg - 6835 lbs

TurtleIII20191117I033.JPG

TurtleIII20191117I009.JPG

Reactions: WVI

Photomike

I needed a way to save on my fuel costs. So I decided to install a nuclear power system in the van. Unlimited power so never need to buy fuel again!!! Don't need solar panels either :rolleyes:

Can just see going through the border when some border guard sees the symbol on the cover :p :p :p :p

Actually it is a cover for the 110v power system. Now I can plug in easier at home or at campgrounds. Also added a larger charger for the two group 31 AGM's on board.

TurtleIII20200126I018c.JPGTurtleIII20200126I015c.JPG

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice build so far. How is the gas mileage around town and on the highway? I have an aging 02 Suburban and need to decide on a replacement. I don't need a 4WD Sportsmobile and simply want a big enough vehicle to take our 3 kids and dog on the road, a high top Transit looks like a good option. I would be interested in bigger tires though, what size did you go with?

I haven't really priced them out but I would need seating for 3 or 4 in the rear, so a passenger version may be the better option for us.
A friend just brought his long whb built up Awd high top duel rear home. I’d say mid level outfitter quality setup as a snow ski lot rig. Fairly stock outside regarding little bolt on junk. If he takes it easy he said 15-18mpg is easy to get. He is changing tires to a 3peak rated tire which he said could hit the mpg a bit hard.

I just switched from the factory ford Hancook trash on my 3.5, 3.73 Expedition to the BFG 3peak Trail Terrain stock size. So far mileage is so damn close to the car style highway oem tires, I’m leaning tward no change in mileage. Which is awesome given these new BFGs are WAY more tire than the soft squishy garbage that came with it. I typically see 17-18 mixed driving and a pretty solid 20-21mpg road trips 70-75mph. So high top long, built out Transit doing 15-18mpg is pretty decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles