Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Is "Camp Fuel" the same as "White Gas"?

MSR makes Superfuel
Crown makes Camp Fuel
Coleman makes Camp Fuel...

Is it all White Gas?
But not the same as unleaded automotive fuel, Correct?

Thanks;)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Yup............!

I use white gas in my Coleman's.........stove..........lantern..........heater.

They last for hours on white gas......and no stinking bottles bouncing all around. Plus........less bouncing/clanging garbage to haul out.

.....and I don't feel like I'm filling the landfill's with little bottles!

Sleeping Toasty ALL night long!:D

co.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
All the same except the "Super" versions are more refined and burn more efficiently in stoves & lanterns. Less black smoke, etc.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
And the vehicle can run/burn white fuel in case you run out of gasoline too :D (or need some help passing emissions :hehe: )

S

Scenic WonderRunner

pskhaat said:
And the vehicle can run/burn white fuel in case you run out of gasoline too :D (or need some help passing emissions :hehe: )

You know.....I thought it might. Has always been in the back of my mind as a fuel backup just in case.

Thanks for the info!

asteffes

Explorer
I always thought that white gas was too refined and too volatile to run in an internal combustion engine. Wouldn't the octane rating be excessively low for a high compression Toyota engine?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
So the MSR Superfuel is highly refined and
One quart is about $8.00
One quart of Crown Camp Fuel is $5.00
but then
One Gallon of Coleman Camp Fuel is $4.50
One Gallon of Ozark Trail Camp Fuel is $4.00

So not counting the MSR fuel, you know because it says "Super"!, is there really a difference in the quality of the White Gas "camp fuel" that is offered by the other brands? Is the quality of the Crown really that much different or better than Coleman or the generic brand? If it's all the same stuff you may as well buy 4 times the quantity for a dollar less!

asteffes

Explorer
My 'ol Scout troop consumed gallon after gallon of the Coleman stuff and never had any problems with our stoves.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Oh, I wouldn't run it straight, but a gallon mixed in I don't think would be an issue. As for Toyota, I'm not sure how the newest engines would do but I'm assuming the with the knock sensors, 4 O2 sensors, etc should be able to compensate timing appropriately. For 1F, 2F, 3F(-E) engines I don't think it'd be an issue at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to run that in my vehicles unless I absolutely needed to and at about 1/2 tank knew I wouldn't make it to the end.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
mcvickoffroad said:
So not counting the MSR fuel, you know because it says "Super"!, is there really a difference in the quality of the White Gas "camp fuel" that is offered by the other brands? Is the quality of the Crown really that much different or better than Coleman or the generic brand? If it's all the same stuff you may as well buy 4 times the quantity for a dollar less!

No difference at all. Except for the super, they all burn exactly the same.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks,
It's funny, I had a store credit at WalMart so I picked up a couple of those 16oz propane bottles for $2 each. Then later while I was browsing around REI I noticed the exact same 16oz propane bottle selling for $5! REI also sells a quart of white gas for $5 while WM has a Gallon for $4!

I try to look past the politics of both stores and just look at the prices and quality of products available.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

mcvickoffroad said:
Thanks,
It's funny, I had a store credit at WalMart so I picked up a couple of those 16oz propane bottles for $2 each. Then later while I was browsing around REI I noticed the exact same 16oz propane bottle selling for $5! REI also sells a quart of white gas for $5 while WM has a Gallon for $4!

I try to look past the politics of both stores and just look at the prices and quality of products available.

I get a gallon of white gas at Wal Mart for about $3.84 their in house brand "Ozark Trail" (basically the same as Coleman name brand, in fact Coleman prolly makes it for them!). I'm a very generic kinda guy! It was under $3 until we had the massive spikes in gasoline/oil prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles