Which truck

bkg

Explorer
Try cleaning the lens...

Got rid of the truck 5 years ago... going to be hard to clean the lens. :p

IMHO, the 4runner just got a better quality camera. No matter what I tried, the tundra was just never as crisp. Then again, the tundra had (known) issues with the HU anyway, so maybe it was more that than the camera.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
There’s 5 tundras with a million miles on them. I think Toyota did a great job on the truck
2395c86e859a6cf851845454471aefbb.jpg

The one on the left is a tundra, the right is a super duty.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I get the Toyota thing spent 25 years in them old simple technology is good up to a point. It does reach a point where its not really better or lower cost. I’d say that the increasing number of former Toyota guys now very happy with their GM’s and Fords is an indication its hit that point. So Toyota is now doing the biggest refresh in what 12 yrs of the Tundra which likely will still be just far enough behind the hybrid trucks that they continue to loose market share. Which is really crazy given Toyota was the hybrid king till they fell asleep in the design studio for 12yrs.

That last sentence tells me that a few people on this forum don't quite comprehend the auto industry landscape.

Toyota has been anything but asleep at the design studio. Toytoa has been pushing the design envelope with regards to hybrids, turbo-gasoline's, hydrogen fuel cell, electric, ect. They, as well as other foreign auto makers, have consistently eaten away at the market share of the big 3 in all vehicle segments, except certain types of trucks. The only reason the big 3 still have a dominant hold within the 1/2 and 3/4 ton segments is because of protective trade policies (chicken tax on foreign trucks) and because the big 3 have poured most of their R&D and focus into trucks, pretty much at the sacrifice of most of their other product lines.

GM is pledging to ditch all internal combustion engines by 2035; we might see similar moves by Ford and Ram. Between those corporate decisions and increasing pressure on OEM's to ditch gas-guzzling designs, it remains to be seen if the big 3's truck cash cow will survive much beyond the next 10 years.

Toyota, on the other hand, is doing just fine. Their main focus is on selling reliable cars and CUV's; their truck business (at least within North America) is merely a tangential focus. Toyota seems content to move at a gradual pace with their truck designs and updates. And based on the last few years of sales for the 4runner and Tundra (both of which are constantly belittled for being "outdated"), it would seem Toyota buyers have been content as well. Toyota has a small (relatively speaking) but loyal consumer base for its trucks...they've never seem interested in trying to convert masses of marginal buyers in the same way that the big 3 have.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That last sentence tells me that a few people on this forum don't quite comprehend the auto industry landscape.

Toyota has been anything but asleep at the design studio. Toytoa has been pushing the design envelope with regards to hybrids, turbo-gasoline's, hydrogen fuel cell, electric, ect. They, as well as other foreign auto makers, have consistently eaten away at the market share of the big 3 in all vehicle segments, except certain types of trucks. The only reason the big 3 still have a dominant hold within the 1/2 and 3/4 ton segments is because of protective trade policies (chicken tax on foreign trucks) and because the big 3 have poured most of their R&D and focus into trucks, pretty much at the sacrifice of most of their other product lines.

GM is pledging to ditch all internal combustion engines by 2035; we might see similar moves by Ford and Ram. Between those corporate decisions and increasing pressure on OEM's to ditch gas-guzzling designs, it remains to be seen if the big 3's truck cash cow will survive much beyond the next 10 years.

Toyota, on the other hand, is doing just fine. Their main focus is on selling reliable cars and CUV's; their truck business (at least within North America) is merely a tangential focus. Toyota seems content to move at a gradual pace with their truck designs and updates. And based on the last few years of sales for the 4runner and Tundra (both of which are constantly belittled for being "outdated"), it would seem Toyota buyers have been content as well. Toyota has a small (relatively speaking) but loyal consumer base for its trucks...they've never seem interested in trying to convert masses of marginal buyers in the same way that the big 3 have.
Psst

All but one vehicle sold in the US by Toyota are massively behind in technology and performance. Toyota leadership during actual quarterly meetings publicly have stated for many years they are struggling to find a way to bring more modern creative design to their vehicles. Japanese auto makers also in recent years have had trade and currency exchange rule changes that impacted their top end thus making funding of new engineering challenging.

These companies aren’t lead by fan boys they succeed with future model planning and long term engineering plans. Ford spent huge sums of money over 20 years knowing they needed modern engines and today we see them. Toyota engines are literally 30 year old designs with some very minor modern bolt in updates and it now shows in a big way. Their hybrid plans stalled 15 yrs ago with a Prius and Camry platform.

The biggest auto markets in the world have proven over and over that technology leaders rise to the top of the market something Toyota is literally 20 yrs behind on their car lots today.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That must be why they are #1 in world sales?

View attachment 647890
The current auto market is in a strange transition right now as all manufacturers shift to bread and butter models being EV or hybrid.

The early leader likely Ford with its hybrid option in nearly every vehicle and full EV Mach e already being a positive right off the start. VW might be second closest though their new EV platform isn’t getting great press right now.

Tesla might have impressive stock value but Elon has said from the start he wasn’t interested in the Auto business he was interested in creating technology and changing how transportation is done.

Toyota is riding the last breath of combustion engine sales on old technology reputation. They have a huge investment cost and short time line before getting crushed as restrictions on emissions across major markets move quickly to EV. Even China has gotten aggressive on emissions which is why catalytic converter theft in the US and UK has sky rocketed to serious levels. Talking weekly busts of organized crime caught shipping thousands out of country to meet the sudden crackdown by China’s emissions standards

Watt maker

I’m not looking forward to the transition to EV’s. I hope I’m past my driving days by the time we’re all forced to go that route. I’ve driven a couple EV’s and found the experience disconnected and boring. No thanks.

Dalko43

Explorer
Psst

All but one vehicle sold in the US by Toyota are massively behind in technology and performance. Toyota leadership during actual quarterly meetings publicly have stated for many years they are struggling to find a way to bring more modern creative design to their vehicles. Japanese auto makers also in recent years have had trade and currency exchange rule changes that impacted their top end thus making funding of new engineering challenging.

These companies aren’t lead by fan boys they succeed with future model planning and long term engineering plans. Ford spent huge sums of money over 20 years knowing they needed modern engines and today we see them. Toyota engines are literally 30 year old designs with some very minor modern bolt in updates and it now shows in a big way. Their hybrid plans stalled 15 yrs ago with a Prius and Camry platform.

The biggest auto markets in the world have proven over and over that technology leaders rise to the top of the market something Toyota is literally 20 yrs behind on their car lots today.

^ Again...not quite grasping how the auto market has transformed over the last 30-40 years.

Go look at how much market share Chrysler, GM and Ford used to have within North America...now compare that to how much they currently have. The domestic OEM's are still trying to play catch up to the foreign firms (to include Toyota) and not the other way around.

GA Native

Hi all

I'm looking for advice on a newer truck for making the cross country trip hunting every year. Sometimes I get lucky and make a couple trips.

I've had a 2012 tacoma 4x4 trd for a while and have made the trip a few times in it. There's only been me and a friend so far driving from Virginia to Colorado and arizona. But many more trips are on the horizon. Caribou way up north in 2022 hopefully.

Last year we used a 7cuft freezer to keep the meat ran by a small Genny.

The fact is, the taco isn't cutting it, but will still drive and keep for my son when he starts driving.

The freezer became our go to and takes up a lot of bed space.

I was hell bent on getting an 06 tundra crew cab, but they seem few and far between with low miles.

So what say you?

It must be 4x4, preferably with a locker or lsd, crew cab, min 6' bed.

And reliability is paramount obviously

Is 18-20mpg doable?

I know you are coming out of a Tacoma, but I have 2017 double cab long bed (6 foot) that does great. With the OR package, you can get a locker, crawl control, etc. I upgraded my suspension to carry weight. I hunt as well and value the width of the Tacoma versus a F150, Tundra, etc. I find it easier to navigate tight forest roads in the mountains. In fact the gen 3 Tacoma's are pretty close to the size of the gen 1 Tundra. I hear too many nightmares about Chevy/GMC products. Loaded down, I get about 16-18 miles per gallon.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 2.7’s the past say 2-3 yrs have been really solid. I just read you can now get a 2021 2.7 with a 36 gallon tank??. Geeze talk about range

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In 2019 I bought the Ford with the twin turbos, but I really wanted the Tundra. Salesman at Toyota was terrible and the Ford folks had plenty of trucks for me to pick from. I'm not sure I made the right decision. It's still very new, but I don't see it lasting like my Landcruiser. I'll keep it another few years and then try for the Tundra.....again
Just made the move from 4.7L yota Sequoia to 2019 3.5l Expedition. So far beyond happy and likely never owning a yota again. Wifes ride is a 2016 Fusion Titanium Energi its been flawless and super nice car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94