Which truck for me?

bcfre

Hey guys, I'm a new poster. I've been trying to read and research a lot - now I come to you for advice. Please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask.

I'm getting ready to finally pull the trigger on a truck, I would really like your opinions on which size/style truck would be best for me. I have a vision for what I want and I intend to do most of the work myself. I don't expect it to take any less than 5 years (and probably much longer) to reach the final result. At this point, I'm looking for sturdy, good bones to build on.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm eventually trying to accomplish:

• I will be living and traveling in this truck 100% of the time from day one; meaning I need to have a functional, livable truck right out the door.
  • I prioritize in this order:
  1. Performance
  2. Durability
  3. Reliability
  4. Ride quality/comfort

5. Fuel efficiency

6. Cosmetics
Essentially, I care about how well the truck performs more than anything, followed closely by how much punishment it can take. I don't care at all about how much or little gas mileage it gets, and I care even less about how it looks.​
  • I live in the desert and will be traveling extensively - on a daily basis the truck needs to be able to traverse most moderate/rugged desert roads at 40-60mph, climb some moderate trails, and still be street legal in California. I'm not expecting to accomplish JKU levels of crawling capability or Hammers trophy truck levels of long travel capability, but something decently ok at both and more of an emphasis on the LT side of things.
  • I travel light and minimal, however I do expect to be under at least ~500-700lbs of load most/all the time.
  • My budget for the base vehicle is $20,000, and again it needs to have at least some of that capability right out the gate.
I'm currently looking at used 1/2 ton RCSB trucks. Specifically I have my eye on a 2010 Sierra 1500 5.3 & a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7.

Any advice welcome, and again my apologies if this is the wrong place.

D

Deleted member 9101

If I was in your shoes I'd probably for for an extended cab Chevy/GMC. Regular cabs are cute and all, but the extra dry and secure storage that an extended cab offers can be priceless at times.

The 5.3 is a good motor and part are cheap and plentiful. The trucks are also very common, so used parts are easy to get.

Twdream

Good work on packing if you can live full time out of a truck with 500lbs to 700lbs of gear!!! When you say minimal do you use a tent or a shell on the truck? If you use a shell than how big are you? This could determine long bed or short bed. Smaller trucks are better off trail bigger trucks better on the road. How much time are you spending on trails? These aren’t direct questions I need answers for, but just something to think about. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

think I already answered this...

So durability/reliability.... solid axle not IFS.
Economy, keep it stock, no lift keep the stock rubber.
Cosmetics, shop in rust free states like Arizona, Nevada.
500# - 700# plus a "smooth" ride, likely a 1/2 ton. But if you go heavier get a 3/4 ton.
Performance, since you list economy and reliability get the base powertrain. Adding power seldom increases economy or reliability. But there will be lots of response to how wrong I am. You decide.

40mph - 60mph on gravel, pot holes, washboard, you need stock tires. Bigger heavier tires will just be rougher riding and slow you down, not to mention the hit on gas mileage.

Solid axles cancel all GMs, Leaving either Ford Super Duty or Dodge.

zach123

If I had to live in it from 'day one', I'd put a lot of thought into the camper shell. Either tall(ish) shell or small pop-up camper.
Living in it 100%, I'd almost pick the shell/camper I could live in first and work my way back to a truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If it's a Ford SD or Dodge HD, a mild lift will have very little side effects if done well. And can smooth out the ride a bit.

More sidewall can drastically improve ride quality. Trade off is fuel economy. But don't get hung up on economy, if you don't actually need it. You can keep the stock wheels and tires handy for pavement pounding trips.

I don't see how it's possible to fulltime in anything less than a small hardside camper on a F250+. I'd go DRW, and a smaller Lance type camper. Small Lance RV type campers are much larger and heavier than overlanding campers.

I'm not full timing, but considering building a camper, where the entire truck bed section of the camper is just a giant bathroom with a queen bed over the cab. No dinette, no stove. Just a giant full width shower.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
for someone 'of the desert', I think your expectations for speed and low cargo weight are both off by quite a bit.
I would suggest a 2500 series truck for the suspension, brakes and cargo capacities. And at least an extended cab or a shell to keep everything you have from looking like a frosted donut at the end of every drive.
Talk to @pappawheely about living / working out of a pickup in the western deserts.
Talk to @Stryder106 about what running hard while loaded in the southwest deserts does to 1500 series shock mounts and suspension components.

You're going to want some sturdy tires with good sidewalls / sidewall protection, and 6 of them, given your stated 'full time' and trail running plans. The vaiations in desert terrains can slice the hell out of your tires in no time and one spare is not enough.

Sleeping IN the vehicle would be preferred to a RTT or ground tent, or at the very least pitch your ground tent in the lee of your vehicle. You should already know that desert winds can be a real mother.

Cruisn

Adventurer
think I already answered this...

So durability/reliability.... solid axle not IFS.
Economy, keep it stock, no lift keep the stock rubber.
Cosmetics, shop in rust free states like Arizona, Nevada.
500# - 700# plus a "smooth" ride, likely a 1/2 ton. But if you go heavier get a 3/4 ton.
Performance, since you list economy and reliability get the base powertrain. Adding power seldom increases economy or reliability. But there will be lots of response to how wrong I am. You decide.

40mph - 60mph on gravel, pot holes, washboard, you need stock tires. Bigger heavier tires will just be rougher riding and slow you down, not to mention the hit on gas mileage.

Solid axles cancel all GMs, Leaving either Ford Super Duty or Dodge.

Please explain how you think IFS is unreliable/ poor durability? This has got to be the biggest myth running... I have zero issues with any of my IFS/IRS 4wd's

Stryder106

Explorer
for someone 'of the desert', I think your expectations for speed and low cargo weight are both off by quite a bit.
I would suggest a 2500 series truck for the suspension, brakes and cargo capacities. And at least an extended cab or a shell to keep everything you have from looking like a frosted donut at the end of every drive.
Talk to @pappawheely about living / working out of a pickup in the western deserts.
Talk to @Stryder106 about what running hard while loaded in the southwest deserts does to 1500 series shock mounts and suspension components.

You're going to want some sturdy tires with good sidewalls / sidewall protection, and 6 of them, given your stated 'full time' and trail running plans. The vaiations in desert terrains can slice the hell out of your tires in no time and one spare is not enough.

Sleeping IN the vehicle would be preferred to a RTT or ground tent, or at the very least pitch your ground tent in the lee of your vehicle. You should already know that desert winds can be a real mother.

I think in the instance Rayra is referring to for me - I likely would have broken the shock towers in a 2500 as they are roughly the same as a 1500. However, as Rayra mentioned, a 2500 brings a lot more to the table if you are starting from scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles