Which trailer axle to match my F150

MalagaBlack

Hi,
I’m looking to build a 5x8 off-road trailer from scratch or retrofit an old one but I’m having a hard time right off the bat in finding the proper axle. Ideally I’d like to have the same rims/tires combo that I have on my f150 which has the Fuel off-road rims:
My question is, is it possible to find a trailer axle to match those rims?

D

Deleted member 9101

You can do custom hubs if you want to spend the cash. Or you can just run a set of adapters.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Go to a wrecker and get a rear axle (and springs?) from an F150, cut out the diff and replace with a heavy pipe.
Then add electric over hydraulic brake unit and you will have the lot.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Here are 6x135mm to any bolt pattern trailer axle you pick. I am not a fan of adapters or spacers, but in your case it is the easiest solution.

highwest

If you end up running adapters/spacers, check out Bulletproof Off Road Adapters / Motorsport-Tech. They can make any arrangement you need.

highwest

If you end up building from scratch though, there’s likely a local axle place that can build you exactly what you need - width, hubs, weight capacity, spring hangers, etc. There are also online vendors. Very reasonable pricing, as I recall.

I looked for the same thing when ordering the axle for the trailer I built but couldn't find anything to match 2016 F150. I ended up ordering to match my old Jeep instead, even though I probably won't pull the trailer much with the Jeep. I do not have a spare tire set up for the trailer yet, I hay order some adapters so that I could use truck spare if I ever have a problem before I get my trailer spare figured out.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
There should be plenty of 8.8 and 9 inchers on the junk yard. I saw someone mention on here the other day to not remove the diff and instead attach an alternator to the diff and have it charge your trailer batteries which I thought was a cool idea.

old_CWO

At a certain point it's a logical path of least resistance to just use regular trailer hubs and carry a spare. Aside from sharing a spare, rig matching becomes more of an exercise in vanity. I would know, I did it too...

billiebob

Hi,
I’m looking to build a 5x8 off-road trailer from scratch or retrofit an old one but I’m having a hard time right off the bat in finding the proper axle. Ideally I’d like to have the same rims/tires combo that I have on my f150 which has the Fuel off-road rims:
My question is, is it possible to find a trailer axle to match those rims?
get it custom built, there must be an axle/spring shop nearby, they will buildit to the exact track you spec and spec the the spring hangers to match you frame/rims. Most will have an order form you fill out. AND it will likey be cheaper than the crap Princess Auto or ???? sell. Mine cost $207.00 tax in.

Old axle on the box, new axle with new rim/tires mounted.

DSCN2321.jpeg

billiebob

Matching is all about practicality.
Lets me carry one spare, OR gives me three spares if I ever get stupid.
PLUS.... it saves weight, carrying 1 spare rather than 2.... saves space too.

DSCN2534.jpeg

D

Deleted member 9101

There should be plenty of 8.8 and 9 inchers on the junk yard. I saw someone mention on here the other day to not remove the diff and instead attach an alternator to the diff and have it charge your trailer batteries which I thought was a cool idea.

He would need an 8.8 or 9.75. The 8.8 runs about 400.00 and a 9.75 is 800.00+ with out the brakes the last time I went axle shopping. The rear calipers on an F150 are not cheap to buy.

I'd just run a normal trailer axle and use adapters. Torque the adapters down to 90ftlbs and use loctite red. So long as they are properly seated and torqued down, you'll never have a problem with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles