Which tent for frequent use by tall people? Alucab, JB?

NORDNDED

I hear ya on the ability to carry a SUP along, it would def be nice to be able to do so while I'm still on the east coast as I do a lot of camping on the outer banks here in NC. It would also be really nice to throw the skis up there when we make the move to CO. later this year.

Camping along the outer banks is also one of my main reasons for wanting a full hard shell tent vs. one with canvas roof. Once the winds reach the teens and above you can forget sleeping through all the noise of flapping canvas, therefore I'm not considering the Ikamper either. The clamshell design would allow me to put the shell to the wind I'm thinking which should reduce noise significantly..

There is another Alum clamshell tent I came across recently but now cannot find it again but I think it had an extra 2 or 3 inches in length vs the Alucab. Once I find it again I'll post it in this thread.

1EPICFJ

I hear ya on the ability to carry a SUP along, it would def be nice to be able to do so while I'm still on the east coast as I do a lot of camping on the outer banks here in NC. It would also be really nice to throw the skis up there when we make the move to CO. later this year.

Camping along the outer banks is also one of my main reasons for wanting a full hard shell tent vs. one with canvas roof. Once the winds reach the teens and above you can forget sleeping through all the noise of flapping canvas, therefore I'm not considering the Ikamper either. The clamshell design would allow me to put the shell to the wind I'm thinking which should reduce noise significantly..

There is another Alum clamshell tent I came across recently but now cannot find it again but I think it had an extra 2 or 3 inches in length vs the Alucab. Once I find it again I'll post it in this thread.

I'm thinking you're referring to the Camp King. If not, I suggest you check it out. DISCLAIMER: I recently ordered one WITHOUT sleeping in it, but I did go inside of it. I'm 6'6", 350 lbs. I wanted hardshell, clamshell style and the Camp King exceeded my want list. I was able to check it out, as well as the Alu Cab, JB, and iKamper. For what I wanted the Camp King was the clear winner.

They will have them at Expo West, so you can check them out there. I take delivery of mine in the next month and cannot wait. Will post up a detailed review after I take delivery and use it a few times.

NORDNDED

I'm thinking you're referring to the Camp King. If not, I suggest you check it out. DISCLAIMER: I recently ordered one WITHOUT sleeping in it, but I did go inside of it. I'm 6'6", 350 lbs. I wanted hardshell, clamshell style and the Camp King exceeded my want list. I was able to check it out, as well as the Alu Cab, JB, and iKamper. For what I wanted the Camp King was the clear winner.

They will have them at Expo West, so you can check them out there. I take delivery of mine in the next month and cannot wait. Will post up a detailed review after I take delivery and use it a few times.

Thats the one, thanks for refreshing my memory. I'm really digging that tent and the fact that someone my height has been in it is good to hear. Were you able to mostly stretch out in it? It also seems to give more headroom than the AluCab when opened which is a bonus. Do you know if an awning such as the AluCab can be mounted directly to it like the Alucab tent allows?

I think I'm going to see if the Camp King, Alucab and JB xxl will be available to buy to take with me at the show as I'm ready to buy once I see which is the right one for me.

1EPICFJ

Thats the one, thanks for refreshing my memory. I'm really digging that tent and the fact that someone my height has been in it is good to hear. Were you able to mostly stretch out in it? It also seems to give more headroom than the AluCab when opened which is a bonus. Do you know if an awning such as the AluCab can be mounted directly to it like the Alucab tent allows?

I think I'm going to see if the Camp King, Alucab and JB xxl will be available to buy to take with me at the show as I'm ready to buy once I see which is the right one for me.

Yes I fully stretched out in it with extra room. Also has a higher opening than Alu Cab.

Taking with you will be a challenge, as I don’t know how many are left. You need to talk to Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear and Peter at Sloop Imports. They’re the only two people importing them.

I don’t believe you can mount the AluCab awning directly to it, but in my case I’m mounting the tent to a Front Runner Roof Rack, so I could mount the awning directly to the rack.

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer

@NORDNDED Feel free to give us a ring - we're always more than happy to discuss the various tents. We carry and have experience with James Baroud, Camp King, and iKamper and can offer up our honest thoughts on each. 628-400-1379. If we can't grab the phone, leave a VM and we will call back!

Cheers - Rhino Adventure Gear

asanto

Reporting back on this thread because I sold all the camera equipment I could muster up and bought an AluCab Gen 3 Expedition Tent from Mudrak Custom Cruisers (props to Gary for being patient with me and for helping with the install).

Took it out for a test setup this week, mostly to see if I can put surfboards, SUP, etc on it like I envisioned. I want to make a few tweaks, but it definitely works and I don't have to go out and buy a Sprinter to have 4WD and haul the gear I wanted to haul. I get a real 4WD vehicle that is super capable, that has an excellent sleeping setup and that will hold my gear (mostly standups, kayaks and surfboards). I'm 6'3 235 lbs and although it is cutting it close, I am quite comfortable in the tent. And even at my size, I feel it will comfortably accommodate another adult.

We plan to get away for a trial run near home this weekend and then a bigger trip likely memorial day weekend. The one thing I didn't think about was how high the setup would be, (tent+racks+sup/kayak). I can just clear 8'2" with racks mounted and SUP it measures roughly 7'8" high. I don't mind, but it does make the vehicle a lot taller. Overall, it handles well and maybe I'm imagining it, but I am also seeing a slight improvement in mpg which surprised me. We'll see if that actually pans out, probably too early to say.

All that said, so far I'm thrilled with it and want to thank Gary at Mudrak for all his help getting things setup and letting me climb all over his rig to see if the Alu-Cab was the right choice for me. Super happy with it and can't wait to take it out.

asanto

Here's a view of it with a 12'6 SUP mounted on racks after an afternoon paddle.

We did a test run at a nearby campground and this setup held 2 SUPs on the rack overnight no problem. Also fit 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows and new telescoping ladder I got inside the tent no problem. Looking to put a foam mattress topper since the stock mattress is very firm, but all in all very happy. It's very comfortable and also very dark with the heavy canvas. I will say at 6'3 it's a hair cozy lengthwise but doable especially if you are solo. I don't think anyone above 6'3 would be comfortable and unlikely you could stretch out, so something to consider for people taller than 6'3. I think ideal height is 6'1-6'2 or shorter. It is on shorter end for me if not camping solo, but I am happy with it. Solo you can spread out and it's not a problem.

I am posting all this in the hopes it helps someone else in their own search.

We put an Exped MegaMat Duo inflatable mattress and while it worked for sleeping, it's too thick too leave inflated when the tent is closed and the sides bulge making it hard to close. I'm going to look for a foam mattress topper, 2-3" high and cut it to match the shape of the tent which is irregular and more like a long trapezoid. Anyway, you can see our bedding setup below, it's worth noting all of this fits and can stay in the tent when it's closed. The pockets on the tent roof are a huge plus and great for stashing lights, shoes, phones, etc.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

TSnider

Here's a view of it with a 12'6 SUP mounted on racks after an afternoon paddle.

View attachment 513396

We did a test run at a nearby campground and this setup held 2 SUPs on the rack overnight no problem. Also fit 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows and new telescoping ladder I got inside the tent no problem. Looking to put a foam mattress topper since the stock mattress is very firm, but all in all very happy. It's very comfortable and also very dark with the heavy canvas. I will say at 6'3 it's a hair cozy lengthwise but doable especially if you are solo. I don't think anyone above 6'3 would be comfortable and unlikely you could stretch out, so something to consider for people taller than 6'3. I think ideal height is 6'1-6'2 or shorter. It is on shorter end for me if not camping solo, but I am happy with it. Solo you can spread out and it's not a problem.

I am posting all this in the hopes it helps someone else in their own search.

We put an Exped MegaMat Duo inflatable mattress and while it worked for sleeping, it's too thick too leave inflated when the tent is closed and the sides bulge making it hard to close. I'm going to look for a foam mattress topper, 2-3" high and cut it to match the shape of the tent which is irregular and more like a long trapezoid. Anyway, you can see our bedding setup below, it's worth noting all of this fits and can stay in the tent when it's closed. The pockets on the tent roof are a huge plus and great for stashing lights, shoes, phones, etc.

View attachment 513397

Hopefully this helps someone else.

What did you end up coming up with for a mattress? Looking to upgrade my Alucab Mattress this year.

asanto

I ended up getting a foam mattress topper, we had 3inch, but that was too much. I'd get 1-2" otherwise you can't easily close the tent with bedding. We were able to fit bedding, pillows, sleeping bags, but it was a tight fit. Definitely a foam mattress topper makes a world of difference.

Some General thoughts after 8 months

All that said, I'm going to say that after 8 months of owning the Alu-Cab we are going in a different direction and may end up getting a 4 wheel camper. Why? 2 tall adults is a tight squeeze. I think someone 6'0 and under would do well, but over that it starts to get little tight -- at least with my partner and I, who is 5'8 it was a little too much. If it was just me in the tent (which is never) it could have worked ok, but we prefer a bit more breathing space and so we decided to sell it. We have a free spirit recreation tent with their tri-layer material that works really well in cold weather. I think that tent with the tri-layer is better for cold weather. The Alu-Cab was a great setup, but for us just a little too snug.

That said, we're getting older and stiffer and climbing on a roof is losing the appeal it once had for us a bit. I'm still a fan of the Alu-Cab, especially the fact you can put a rack on it, that was amazing, but it does get really tall if you have a lift, tent, rack and then whatever is up there. Anyhow, good luck to folks in their search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles