Which suspension on my JK for overland use?

dstock

Explorer
My understanding was the AEV 2.5 lift was designed with the heavy front bumper/combo and heavy rear bumper/tire carrier in mind. The springs included are progressive which means it rides well loaded and unloaded. Just getting stiffer springs will help when loaded but unloaded you are going to have a harsher ride. I can't comment on the AEV 2.5 ride without the aftermarket bumpers and winch as I had both when I installed the lift on my 2010 and then subsequently my 2013.

Good luck with your decision, lots of options out there.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yes Dstock, the aev is meant to be used with the front and rear bumpers etc. its quite stiff without them. Actually, its still stiff with them, but more manageable, and it handles great on the road.

dstock

Explorer
Yes Dstock, the aev is meant to be used with the front and rear bumpers etc. its quite stiff without them. Actually, its still stiff with them, but more manageable, and it handles great on the road.

Didn't realize you had the AEV 2.5" lift...

Prerunnerin

For best strength, Durability and price point for your wallet. I highly recommend looking into Synergy Manufacturing. You can purchase them through most major retailers... Poly Performance, 4wheel parts, ORW just to name a few. They make an incredibly strong product for a great price. For your application you could run fixed lowers and an adjustable upper control arm. I highly recommend grabbing the trac bar bracket for the 3" rise or an adjustable trac-bar to pair with them. This will help retain your factory geometry on the vehicle. Synergy springs under 4.5" of lift are a progressive spring rate giving it a very plush ride smooth on and off road.

CluelessJK

For best strength, Durability and price point for your wallet. I highly recommend looking into Synergy Manufacturing. You can purchase them through most major retailers... Poly Performance, 4wheel parts, ORW just to name a few. They make an incredibly strong product for a great price. For your application you could run fixed lowers and an adjustable upper control arm. I highly recommend grabbing the trac bar bracket for the 3" rise or an adjustable trac-bar to pair with them. This will help retain your factory geometry on the vehicle. Synergy springs under 4.5" of lift are a progressive spring rate giving it a very plush ride smooth on and off road.

+2 I don't think I've ever heard anyone bad mouth synergy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EMrider

Explorer
My understanding was the AEV 2.5 lift was designed with the heavy front bumper/combo and heavy rear bumper/tire carrier in mind. The springs included are progressive which means it rides well loaded and unloaded. Just getting stiffer springs will help when loaded but unloaded you are going to have a harsher ride. I can't comment on the AEV 2.5 ride without the aftermarket bumpers and winch as I had both when I installed the lift on my 2010 and then subsequently my 2013.

Good luck with your decision, lots of options out there.

I am considering the AEV 2.5 lift, but do not have aftermarket front and rear bumpers. My concern is that the ride will be too firm/stiff without the weight of the bumpers.

Do you have the AEV front and rear bumpers, or another brand?

R

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
After many years of leaky/torn airbags I replaced with SumoSpring bags. Man! I am a very happy guy switching to those. I run them on my GMC truck camper.

As for our Jks running trailers and such. This same company offers simular only it appears from the photo they wrap around and into each coil spring on our jeeps.

When I bought my jk, I too was satisfied with the hight caring little to go higher. I have the stock MT's which are E rated. Now that they have worn down from my impatient fast runs to my mountain cabin they have somehow un-rubberized themselves LOL.

As I do understand the theory behind heavy duty light truck tires, I have little love for the ride they give me. But, I'm getting on in years and I've become fussy about such things. As even airing down does little to soften the rocky desert ride.

I did upgrade to TerraFlex coils, 1.75 frt, 1.50 rear, or maybe it was the other way around. i forget. But I went with Fox 2.0. According to the owner of TeraFlex, the coils took into account the weight of my front end weight and lil off road trailer. But, I never really load my trailer down if I can help it. hauling wood to the cabins been the most weight thus far. Since 2013 when I had it done, my rig has settled quite a bit. But I never cared to measure any of it.

I too intend staying close to stock 32 or so myself.

http://supersprings.com/coil_sumosprings_overview.asp

kojackJKU

If you were going with AEV, ditch the bilstiens, they are part of the stiff problem and go with fox. That will help for sure. but I have been in an AEV equipped 4 door and it is stiffer than mine. but it handles corners great. ha ha.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I personally run ome heavy rears and still on rk 2.5" front springs which will probably get changed out for ome medium heavys eventually. Rk springs just couldn't take the weight of the jk loaded down. Sagged pretty good with just camping gear and the tent tailet really dropped it to the bump stops.

I've got that Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod system with their triple rate coils and haven't noticed any sag when my Hard Rock is loaded.

They ride really well on and off road, and flex like crazy.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Well I don't know what I can add but

I saw no reason to ditch the stock Rubicon tires for 33s for such a small difference. I have added skid plates, winch, and a front bumper. To help with the added weight and to gain some height I added the Rock krawler 1.5 springs.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
I've got that Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod system with their triple rate coils and haven't noticed any sag when my Hard Rock is loaded.

They ride really well on and off road, and flex like crazy.

The rears were not the triple rates. Fronts are, but the rear when I bought the kit were still linear springs. Much happier with the ome's in the rear. Jeep fully loaded plus a tire carrier with 10 gallons of fuel on it just didn't pose well with the rk springs and all that weight.

kojackJKU

Well I don't know what I can add but

I saw no reason to ditch the stock Rubicon tires for 33s for such a small difference. I have added skid plates, winch, and a front bumper. To help with the added weight and to gain some height I added the Rock krawler 1.5 springs.

Awesome setup. Looks great and I bet it performs great too!

dstock

Explorer
I am considering the AEV 2.5 lift, but do not have aftermarket front and rear bumpers. My concern is that the ride will be too firm/stiff without the weight of the bumpers.

Do you have the AEV front and rear bumpers, or another brand?

R

I have ARB bumpers front (with winch) and rear, no rear tire carrier. I would seek out others that have the lift without extra bumpers and get their feedback, the AEV forum is a good place for info. Much better than those with so called "advice" that don't actually have the lift in question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles