Which suspension on my JK for overland use?

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Says you! :sombrero:

Agreed.

What it looks like, how "cool" (or "sick", these days, just to illustrate my point :) is a completely non-functional, peer-pressure influenced but ultimately personal consideration. It changes over time... with the current fashions as they evolve, influenced by both marketing pressure to sell product, and the grass-roots-generated search for something new... so "cool" and "funny-looking" are trendy by definition. It's important to you, or you, or you over there? Hey, have fun! Because it is fun. I do aesthetic design for a living, so i'm good.

But when the going gets tough, form-follows-function gets you home.

Last edited:

CluelessJK

Agreed.

What it looks like, how "cool" (or "sick", these days, just to illustrate my point :) is a completely non-functional, peer-pressure influenced but ultimately personal consideration. It changes over time... with the current fashions as they evolve, influenced by both marketing pressure to sell product, and the grass-roots-generated search for something new... so "cool" and "funny-looking" are trendy by definition. It's important to you, or you, or you over there? Hey, have fun! Because it is fun. I do aesthetic design for a living, so i'm good.

But when the going gets tough, form-follows-function gets you home.

But what about ground clearance... I find that pretty functional. And the only way to ever increase ground clearance is tires :)

Edit: I only pursue practical rigs... Much like my prior post mentioning stock suspension with 35s... I kept the lowest possible COG while achieving pretty high axle clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dstock

Explorer
But what about ground clearance... I find that pretty functional. And the only way to ever increase ground clearance is tires :)

Edit: I only pursue practical rigs... Much like my prior post mentioning stock suspension with 35s... I kept the lowest possible COG while achieving pretty high axle clearance.

What about the fact the OP is trying to fight spring sag with the stock suspension? How do your 35's help with that?

Kind of seems like you missed the point of OP's first post or didn't read it.

CluelessJK

I was defending my honor. someone else mentioned practical, opposing what I said.

Anyways.. Why not run taller springs in the rear? My buddy has a trailer, lod bumper, and a bunch of other weight in the rear and he went with 1" taller springs and it perfectly leveled out his rig trailer or no trailer.

No airbags or fancy stuff required. He is running 3" teraflex up front and 4" currie (I believe that's who he is running) in the rear.

No matter what lift you decide to go with OP make sure it's your decision. Everyone has an excuse or better way of doing things but you need to be happy with the end result.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
"I was defending my honor. someone else mentioned practical, opposing what I said. "

Your Honor? Really? You thought my approval of calling out your aesthetic judgment to be just, and only that - aesthetic - was impugning your honor?

Well, you may have an apology from me. I had no idea aesthetic was such an offensive word.

Seriously, read my post again. Read yours. But you have your apology anyway.

CluelessJK

Your Honor? Really? You thought my approval of calling out your aesthetic judgment to be just, and only that - aesthetic - was impugning your honor?

Well, you may have an apology from me. I had no idea aesthetic was such an offensive word.

Seriously, read my post again. Read yours. But you have your apology anyway.

No apology necessary, I just enjoy the debates that forums produce! I just post my opinion as does everyone else. OP I hope you got a little humor out of this! Sorry to jack tour thread.

harv3589

Adventurer
A set of Rubicon take off springs might help with the sag and keep you pretty stock.

I have a Willys so it has the heavier springs already in it...wish it was that easy. There is nothing heavier from the factory so I have to look aftermarket. The AEV 2 1/2" lift has my attention...

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I have a Willys so it has the heavier springs already in it...wish it was that easy. There is nothing heavier from the factory so I have to look aftermarket. The AEV 2 1/2" lift has my attention...

Just a thought that might help. I am sure you have carefully researched the stock springs issue (and you may indeed have the right of it) but it is my understanding that the Rubicon X (also 10thAE and Hard Rock) JKU hardtop uses the heaviest, tallest stock springs in the parts bin. These models all sit just a bit higher than standard Rubicon Spec, and carry the heavier stock steel bumpers, skid plate, etc.

Now I am very familiar with my 2014 Rubicon X, but I do not know the specs from the Willys. Still, perhaps it is worth a second look.

Big mike

Adventurer
Going to throw a curve at you all. I have had both ome and aev on other jeeps, but I went with the DV8 rock runner for this one. I am impressed. They custom make your coils to fit your weight and towing needs, in So Cal Victorville everything is made there meaning coils . I have the best riding jeep on or off road out of all my friends . You can add onto it if you want. But me and myJKU have done hells revenge and the rubi with my trailer in tow not to mention everywhere else you can think of. Great customer service.
I'm planning a couple of northern trips this fall 3 week deals but in April I'm going to panama and I trust my suspension to get me through anything.
Mike

CluelessJK

Going to throw a curve at you all. I have had both ome and aev on other jeeps, but I went with the DV8 rock runner for this one. I am impressed. They custom make your coils to fit your weight and towing needs, in So Cal Victorville everything is made there meaning coils . I have the best riding jeep on or off road out of all my friends . You can add onto it if you want. But me and myJKU have done hells revenge and the rubi with my trailer in tow not to mention everywhere else you can think of. Great customer service.
I'm planning a couple of northern trips this fall 3 week deals but in April I'm going to panama and I trust my suspension to get me through anything.
Mike

Pics big mike!!!

harv3589

Adventurer
Just a thought that might help. I am sure you have carefully researched the stock springs issue (and you may indeed have the right of it) but it is my understanding that the Rubicon X (also 10thAE and Hard Rock) JKU hardtop uses the heaviest, tallest stock springs in the parts bin. These models all sit just a bit higher than standard Rubicon Spec, and carry the heavier stock steel bumpers, skid plate, etc.

Now I am very familiar with my 2014 Rubicon X, but I do not know the specs from the Willys. Still, perhaps it is worth a second look.

Sounds like the 10 Anniversary Edition has slightly longer springs by maybe a 1/2" but the X has the same as the Willys...that's just form looking on the Internet. Guess I learned something this morning! Thanks for correcting me

Last edited:

harv3589

Adventurer
From what I've been told the AEV 3.5" lift would be my best option, one that would handle the most weight but how will that look with 33" tires..... :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online