Which solar panel should I get?

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Recently bought an ARB 37L Fridge/Freezer and looking for a solar panel to recharge truck battery when not driving. Everything I've read says that Zamp is a great option. Does someone with some solar experience think an 80 Zamp would do the job? I realize that there are varying conditions due to sun exposure but with ideal conditions would this do the job. If not, recommendations would be appreciated.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Witch one did you get? I have the 37L also.

I got the 90 Watt portable unit they offer. I had seen them while at Oveland Expo West this past Many and noted the quality of the units. I had emailed Brian, the company owner yesterday to inquire about some things, and he responded stating that he was in my area visiting family. He took the time to discuss the unit with me and even brought the unit over to the house. Went over the top to explain the system to me and took the time to check out the wiring system on my camper/truck. As I don't know much about this solar stuff his expertise and instructions on how to get everything wired up was more than helpful and much apprecitated. If his solar unit is as superior as his customer service then I made the right choice.

Streaky

Observer
Instead of that huge box...why don't you fit a second AGM battery on the vehicle somewhere that can run the fridge without being charged for a few days?

My Patrol has two additional Odyssey AGM Batteries just for the fridge but I can hang a 68w flexi-panel out to extend their life if required. The panel can be mounted on any side of the car or laid in the sun while I park in the shade. Get a quality controller...not a Chinese cheapo that will fail one day after the warranty expires.

Avoid the marketing jargon from Optima...they've long fallen behind in the Quality Control department. Odyssey use pure lead and lots of it in their batteries....55lb each just for a regular sized one!

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Load liner 007.jpg
    Copy (2) of Load liner 007.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 18

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Instead of that huge box...why don't you fit a second AGM battery on the vehicle somewhere that can run the fridge without being charged for a few days?

My Patrol has two additional Odyssey AGM Batteries just for the fridge but I can hang a 68w flexi-panel out to extend their life if required. The panel can be mounted on any side of the car or laid in the sun while I park in the shade. Get a quality controller...not a Chinese cheapo that will fail one day after the warranty expires.

Avoid the marketing jargon from Optima...they've long fallen behind in the Quality Control department. Odyssey use pure lead and lots of it in their batteries....55lb each just for a regular sized one!

Looked into adding a second battery and opted not to. Only wanted to do that if I could mount it under the hood and on my Tacoma there isn't space. The Overlander90 panel is a triple fold so it really isn't all that big and has a nice case. Pretty sure it's going to work fine and will easily store in the camper while running down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles