Which roof top tent????

Nathansharkey80

Guys I am really struggling trying to decide which roof top tent to buy. Money is not the question because I would rather pay once and hurt once then go cheaper and pay every day wishing I had just paid for what I really wanted. I hate compromises. I need to be able to mount my spare tire to the roof. This will be installed on the full size range rover l322 and the car will be used for highway and gravel roads and beaches and some mild offroad driving in the forest and farm pastures. I am leaning toward the James baroud but I am open to any roof top tent that you suggest. Please give your help and opinion to help me decide.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
Personally, there are a lot better options in the RTT market now then James Baroud. Given you want to mount the tire to the roof you are stuck with hard shells, which is good imo, never been a fan of the flip open ones.

-James baroud
-alucab gen 3
-eezi awn stralth
-ikamper
-tepui

There are probably others but those are the ones coming to mind. Out of all those, i’d Go with the alucab or eezi awn, aluminum, reputable manufactures, and proven quality. Alucab with the slight edge for me, but that’s personal choice.

There will be a lot of opinions on this, ultimately it comes down to what you want, make sure you check that box off, or you will regret it. Also you probably cannot go wrong with any of the ones listed above.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Out of all those, i’d Go with the alucab or eezi awn, aluminum, reputable manufactures, and proven quality.

Don't forget to mention the weight penalty that goes along with these aluminum hard shell tents. The actual weights of these tents are somewhat of a mystery, but my best guess is that they weigh approximately 60 lbs. more than a middle-of-the-road fiberglass RTT. That isn't just a "little bit" heavier. It's more like 40% heavier than fiberglass and that is bad when it's on the roof.

No doubt that they are bomb proof and made of quality materials from two great companies though.

I suggest that you find somewhere else to mount that spare tire. Putting a 100 lbs. tire on top of your 220 lbs. aluminum RTT (and maybe a 100 lbs. roof rack) is going to be very noticeable. I'd bet it makes it very hard to open and close the RTT too. I don't have either a rover or an aluminum RTT. I just know that lighter is better, especially when on the roof.

I have a Canvas Eezi-Awn (softshell) and a Baroud Espace (fiberglass hardshell) and prefer the Baroud.

If I had to start over again I would buy a used RTT first. Try it to see what you like and what you need. If it isn't right, sell it and buy another used one in a different style. Repeat until you are certain of your needs before ordering a new one. New RTTs depreciate like new cars.

Nathansharkey80

I notice the camp king tent has an extra set of bars for supporting the rear entrance awning. I am not sure if my Range Rover life gate would hit those support bars for the awning. I have to talk to someone to see if they work for my style rear or lift up tail gate window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1EPICFJ

I notice the camp king tent has an extra set of bars for supporting the rear entrance awning. I am not sure if my Range Rover life gate would hit those support bars for the awning. I have to talk to someone to see if they work for my style rear or lift up tail gate window?

Call Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear. I just saw his 200 series pictured above. He made a custom bar setup for the rear awning, but he showed me a set of tie down bars that come with the tent. He’ll get you all setup. Pull the trigger and buy the Camp King and don’t look back!

jah310

Adventurer
Is he a member on here?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Nathan - thanks for your interest. I went ahead and shot you an email yesterday. Hopefully, it didn't go into your spam!. More than happy to help answer any questions on the Camp King. Look forward to connecting.

Cheers!

Nathansharkey80

Nathan - thanks for your interest. I went ahead and shot you an email yesterday. Hopefully, it didn't go into your spam!. More than happy to help answer any questions on the Camp King. Look forward to connecting.

Cheers!

Thanks. I replied back.

1EPICFJ

Nathan - took these just for you, check em out

Nathansharkey80

Nathan - took these just for you, check em out

Looks fantastic. I will be calling when I get back from holidays.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I'm with James, and don't see the advantage of an alloy roof. Yes, it may be more resistant to puncture but I'm much prefer repairing fiberglass to aluminum. White fiberglass is great, it reflects heat and doesn't absorb it. Weight is a critical factor, if you have anything over 150 pounds on your roof, you really feel it. I personally like less than 135 pounds up there.

Think of a roof tent like you would a sleeping bag. Buy what you need and nothing more. This way it is a lifetime purchase, you are buying it fo fit you and tailored to the type of climate and terrain you visit. Your vehicle may change, but your needs generally don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles