Which Radio ?

Billoftt

I have CB and GMRS in both Jeeps and the tow rig at this point. Trying to move my wheeling group away from CB as much as possible and GMRS has been a good way to do that. I still planning on getting my Ham license eventually, but only one guy in my group has his, and nobody else really wants to get theirs. For me, it all depends on who you're wheeling/travelling with and what they have.
I can appreciate your situation. At least you got them moved away from CB and into something that opens them up to higher quality radios and more manageable antennas. There should be quite a bit of NMO base, no ground plane 1/2 wave and collinear antennas on the market with a much more manageable height that one could mount on the fender on a Jeep and just forget about.

There is a Jeep club near me that another ham and I convinced to switch from CB to GMRS. The other guy (due to his profession) actually has the programming cables and licensed software to program Land Mobile Part 90 Kenwood and Motorola radios which can be had for pretty good prices used. That helped A LOT with the transition.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
There is a Jeep club near me that another ham and I convinced to switch from CB to GMRS. The other guy (due to his profession) actually has the programming cables and licensed software to program Land Mobile Part 90 Kenwood and Motorola radios which can be had for pretty good prices used. That helped A LOT with the transition.
Old business radios are often cheap, the problem is it can be costly to get setup with a Motorola account and get the CPS software. But for a club it can be manageable. Say it costs $300 for a software license for 3 years but you get a dozen or two surplus radios that you program in bulk with the same image the per unit cost is $10 or $20. That works fine for GMRS since it's the same everywhere so you don't have to worry about different channelization or repeater details like ham that might make each radio unique to some extent.

dreadlocks

Hardest part of programing my part 90 commercial kenwoods was getting a computer I could bootup FreeDOS on.. even a decade ago I didnt have anything w/cdrom's.

Ive been using reprogramed radios for GMRS for decades now, was not until very recently that any off the shelf GMRS radios even gained full duplex transmitting capabilities... I got all 6 of my Zastone handhelds, and a 6gang charger for less money than buying one pair of nice Midlands.

Dirt Rider

Past my Tech test, I am now a HAM! Thinking I may buy one of the cheap Chinese HAM radios and go with a hard mount GMRS. The reason being the GMRS will be for trail driving and the HAM portable for hiking or SAR work.

dreadlocks

Those cheap Chinese HAM radios are such a great way to start, not a big investment to learn the ropes.. I hadda hittup garage and estate sales looking for radios because it was so expensive for a new one that would get such limited use.

They make good backup and testing hardware later once you've figured out exactly what capabilities and range you need, so hang onto em even if you outgrow em.

Oilbrnr

I have a Yaesu FT-60r and FTM-100DR. Both mar/cap'd and also a President McKinley CB that's been tuned. All bases covered, and with the Yaesu you get a quality built in Japan radio.

OP congrats on the ticket. Getting a tech license is way to easy not to just get it done.

MOguy

Explorer
The only radio that is any good is one that has somebody listening on the other end. Get what the group you run with uses. If you run with multiple groups using different radios you may need more than one radio. It is nice to haves radio that are hard wired and mounted. I have one of those little Baofengs and the work fine but last time I went to use it the battery was dead. I have it "just in case" so does my buddy. The just in case happened, his CB didn't work, mine did. His little Baofeng worked fine, my baofeng was dead. I knew I charged it but that was like 2months ago.

Last edited:

zeldaella

If you hate CB, HAM and GMRS, you can refer DMR radio. Many prefer to use the best DMR radio over the other types because of its ability to offer optimized cost, double capacity in terms of channels, and better voice quality. The DMR handheld radio also has the advantage of providing a more reliable and secure way of communication for the majority of professional mobile users.

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $16.71
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99