Which pop up camper/truck combination for global off-road expeditions

MikeSkril

To the OP.. if you are looking to be in South America.. choose the engine that South Americans use... Choose the tire size and brands the South Americans use ..(I strongly recommend all terrain 10 ply with a 3 ply sidewall)... for the sake of parts availability, mechanics who understand the systems... That is what matters the most...

I want a truck that works globally. I may travel in Europe, Asia too. So, parts and service should be available. That’s also why I focused on a Toyota.

All heavy off-road vehicles I saw, living 3 years in Bolivia, were Toyota's.

sg1

Adventurer
I want a truck that works globally. I may travel in Europe, Asia too. So, parts and service should be available. That’s also why I focused on a Toyota.

All heavy off-road vehicles I saw, living 3 years in Bolivia, were Toyota's.
Sure, but they would be Landcruisers which are not sold in the US in their pick up version. Did you see any Tundras? I didn't see any (except of course US plated ones owned by tourists) in 4 years until Chile. Chile seems to be the only Sa country where Tundras are sold.

MikeSkril

You are right. I checked online and seems that they are selling 4runners, Landcruisers and the only Toyota pick up I can see is Hilux.

kalieaire

Observer
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/class...n-francisco-ushuaia-argentina-87-4runner.html

These two did it together on a budget, but didn't have a kid. They were able to climb most of the tough 4x4 trails in South America with a slightly lifted 1st generation 4runner.

I imagine it'd be doable in a double cab and long bed Tacoma. There are some dealerships in Mexico that will have parts or get them shipped out, but when you get further south, you'll find yourself with some issues finding parts if things are broken, global models like the Land Cruiser, Hilux Surf, and Prados.

I guess it really depends on what you mean with regard to heavy 4x4. If you're talking about Fordyce, then that's pretty heavy 4x4, if you're talking about the Slickrock trail in California, then that's more intermediate since there are bypasses throughout the trail.

The rest of the consideration is really logistics like:
  • where are you going to sleep
  • how are you going to eat
  • how often do you need to change your clothes
You could also spend a little less money on the vehicle and weight, and put some money aside to stay in a bed n breakfast, a hotel, or similar.

rajacat

20+ mph on a 3.5 Ecoboost f150??? Hahahahahaha... Perhaps if you are really light footed and go 45-55 on the highway, with a breeze at your back, downhill...
It's true. I have a 2018 SCAB 3.5EB w/ 10 speed and I find it easy to get 20+ mpg @ 65 mph on the highway. Actually 23+ is not unusual on the highway. In fact I can get 20+ mixed terrain milage if I drive smartly and use eco mode when possible. I don't drive it like a teenager but not like an old geezer either.

Selway_down

Hi!

I’m at the very beginning of the journey…figuring out what gear I need to do what I want.

I was living in South America for a few years and I always told myself that I want to get back with a proper camping vehicle.

I hope that someone can give me some advise to choose the right camper and truck. For the moment a have an eye on the FWC flatbed models and I love the durability of Toyota vehicles. Is someone traveling the globe with a FWC model?

Tacoma would be my first choice, but I’m concerned about the weight limit. We will be 2 adults and one child, traveling as long as 2 months at once.
I want to be comfortable, but still travel light. I don’t want to be restricted by the size, or off-road capabilities of the vehicle.

There will be a lot of paved roads, but also some heavy off-road.
I’m no millionaire, so price is also critical.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 2008 Tundra with a palomino bronco 800 pop up camper that does really well for my 4x4 camping trips. The tacoma is too small for what I do and. 3/4 was too muck. This 1/2 tin set up is just right. It’s for sale
Hi!

I’m at the very beginning of the journey…figuring out what gear I need to do what I want.

I was living in South America for a few years and I always told myself that I want to get back with a proper camping vehicle.

I hope that someone can give me some advise to choose the right camper and truck. For the moment a have an eye on the FWC flatbed models and I love the durability of Toyota vehicles. Is someone traveling the globe with a FWC model?

Tacoma would be my first choice, but I’m concerned about the weight limit. We will be 2 adults and one child, traveling as long as 2 months at once.
I want to be comfortable, but still travel light. I don’t want to be restricted by the size, or off-road capabilities of the vehicle.

Thanks!
Hi!

Thanks!

I have a 2008 Tundra with a palomino bronco 800 pop up camper that does really well for my 4x4 camping trips. The tacoma is too small for what I do and 3/4 ton was too much. This 1/2 ton set up is just right. It’s for sale

Attachments

• 539AC979-E57C-4C9B-BC43-5F8A6DBF7089.jpeg
    539AC979-E57C-4C9B-BC43-5F8A6DBF7089.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 1AB663BF-A9B2-4518-8341-47AA75E13E7D.jpeg
    1AB663BF-A9B2-4518-8341-47AA75E13E7D.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 46

1000arms

Hi!

Thanks!

Can you keep the Tacoma + Flatbed FWC under maximum payload?

I think that is the question you are really asking. ?

People use, abuse, break, and repair Toyota pickup trucks all around the world.

You know the terrain where you are going and you know the Tacomas will fit better and blend in better than Ford/Dodge/Chevy full size trucks.

Can you carry enough water/food/fuel/shelter/tools/clothing/etc while remaining under payload with the Tacoma?

Hopefully some other members can help you.

(Removing the non-topic cluttering posts would also help the OP. ?)

Hello Moderators, would it be reasonable for the OP to create a new thread? The clutter might be keeping some helpful members from reading through and replying to this thread.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
You are right. I checked online and seems that they are selling 4runners, Landcruisers and the only Toyota pick up I can see is Hilux.

A problem you will find around the world is that vehicles (even those with the same name) will be substantially different than the ones in the US. Typically they will use low powered diesel engines (sometimes gas) that are unavailable in the US, and different drivetrains. If you are concerned about parts availability, and mechanics who are familiar with your vehicle, your best bet would be to choose a gas engine and drivetrain that is fairly common overseas. I don't know what that would be, and it's possible there aren't any good choices. Wikipedia has a pretty extensive list of specs and what is sold where.

Or just get a Tundra... ;)

sg1

Adventurer
A problem you will find around the world is that vehicles (even those with the same name) will be substantially different than the ones in the US. Typically they will use low powered diesel engines (sometimes gas) that are unavailable in the US, and different drivetrains. If you are concerned about parts availability, and mechanics who are familiar with your vehicle, your best bet would be to choose a gas engine and drivetrain that is fairly common overseas. I don't know what that would be, and it's possible there aren't any good choices. Wikipedia has a pretty extensive list of specs and what is sold where.

Or just get a Tundra... ;)
Tacomas and Tundras are not sold outside North America. The only pick ups Toyota sells outside North America are the Hilux and the HZJ/GRJ 79 which aren't even related to anything available in North America.

rruff

Explorer
Tacomas and Tundras are not sold outside North America.

Yes, I know. The Hilux might share some parts with the Tacoma, but not the engine. No matter what you get, it isn't going to be common in the rest of the world.

Hi, were 22 months on the road in a 2005 Ram 3500 and 4Wheel Camper Hawk flatbed. Currently in Costa Rica and heading south. Were happy with our set up.
@kidandgypsy

Attachments

• IMG_8213.jpg
    IMG_8213.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: Boz

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Does anyone know if OverlandEx would build a pop top flatbed truck camper? I can't help but think a flatbed based setup would best for the extended travel.

Just because I like adding fuel to the fire, tuned 2.7L eco's will run with stock 3.5's :) you can get the power and mileage all in one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier