Which Overland Vehicle and Why?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless the OP is planning on invading a 3rd world country (with 3 kids I'm guessing not) the fact that the military uses diesel is irrelevant.

Is a hammer better than a screwdriver? Depends on whether you are trying to put in a nail or a screw.

My point is that for any job, it's important that the tool match the task at hand. OP is in Texas and from what he wrote he seems to want to travel in the US (unless I missed something.) In that case, the simple fact is that every gas station in America has gasoline but not every one has diesel.

That may not be true in Uzbekistan or Tierra del Fuego but unless the OP is planning on going there, it's also irrelevant.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I drove clear across the state today with exact same load as previous truck. Cummins got only 2mpg better than the Ford 6.2l. Predictable.

Fuel economy is a stupid reason to invest in a diesel fullsize unless DRW or bigger. Maybe there's a few guys that need extra range off road, but there's practically no advantage for me.

jadmt

ignore button user
man this seems like the perfect overland vehicle :)

D

Deleted member 9101

Solution to your problem:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1579559323014.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579559323014.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 14
  • FB_IMG_1579559320595.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579559320595.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
  • FB_IMG_1579559317658.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579559317658.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I really like diesel. My first car was basically a 4dr Case Backhoe. LoL My only diesel I own is a 12hp 1986 Kubota tractor engine marinized. Its about as stupid simple as it gets.

The issues around Diesel today are the costs, emissions complexity/ issues and yes diesel fuel in recent years isn’t everywhere.

NATO runs 1980’s diesel tech on any diesel like trash fuel it can source. Very poor comparison to your typical remote location traveler who probably can’t find a barn find IDI Truck that will run on just about anything slightly resembling diesel fuel.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
As discussed in previous threads, the only things that should convince someone to buy a modern diesel is.

• Free diesel from your workplace
  • towing more than 14k lbs regularly
Everything else doesn't pan out, is simply urban myth, or has been overcome by well designed gasoline powerplants.

Also, why the heck are folks dumping military vehicle crap in this thread? Its not like the OP wan'ts to go full on prepper, and build a mobile zombie combat vehicle...

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Unless the OP is planning on invading a 3rd world country (with 3 kids I'm guessing not) the fact that the military uses diesel is irrelevant.

Is a hammer better than a screwdriver? Depends on whether you are trying to put in a nail or a screw.

My point is that for any job, it's important that the tool match the task at hand. OP is in Texas and from what he wrote he seems to want to travel in the US (unless I missed something.) In that case, the simple fact is that every gas station in America has gasoline but not every one has diesel.

That may not be true in Uzbekistan or Tierra del Fuego but unless the OP is planning on going there, it's also irrelevant.

If I was planning to invade a 3rd world country I would get as many old pre-tacoma Toyota trucks as I could find. Containers of AK-47's. 3 kids is a good start on an army...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Oh and even the old as dirt diesels had emissions issues. My 82 4dr required a new muffler it was so caked up the poor diesel finally refused to run. But back then a new muffler was a 30 minute $40 fix. My 86 12hp diesel in my boat got a new exhaust elbow last yr it was caked up too time for a new one. So even pre emissions diesels had emissions problems. LOL

Nathansharkey80

You guys all sound like a few guys That I know who judge and complain about other guys marrying smoking hot women.

Blah blah blah expensive, complicated, can’t trust them, not practical blah blah bla...

but in reality you are all just jealous haters sitting on the sidelines patting each other on the back for not all doing what you wish you could be doing.

I am telling you. If you have the choice and the means between a diesel and a gas jobby, trust me. I have both. Go for a diesel. You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

You guys all sound like a few guys That I know who judge and complain about other guys marrying smoking hot women.

Blah blah blah expensive, complicated, can’t trust them, not practical blah blah bla...

but in reality you are all just jealous haters sitting on the sidelines patting each other on the back for not all doing what you wish you could be doing.

I am telling you. If you have the choice and the means between a diesel and a gas jobby, trust me. I have both. Go for a diesel. You won’t regret it.

I've had both... I went with gas on my last 3 trucks. Diesel is a PITA in every way, shape, and form... All so you can impress strangers at a stop light.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Oh and even the old as dirt diesels had emissions issues. My 82 4dr required a new muffler it was so caked up the poor diesel finally refused to run. But back then a new muffler was a 30 minute $40 fix. My 86 12hp diesel in my boat got a new exhaust elbow last yr it was caked up too time for a new one. So even pre emissions diesels had emissions problems. LOL

My '84 6.2 Diesel 'Burb still has the stock factory mufflers, almost a million miles of soot through 'em.

I've had both. Almost a million miles on a '84 diesel 'Burb. 1.6 million on a '97 Ram 3500. A few gasser 'Burbs @ over 300k each. I won't touch a new diesel with a 10 foot pole. And the bodies on the old diesels I can afford are beat to $&!t. Last Dodge, '09 was a 5.7 Hemi, over 300k miles. New rig is a keeper, '04 Excursion V10. You can keep your diesel. With the money I saved over buying a diesel I'll get my next 23,000 miles of gas for free at today's prices and worst case fuel economy. And I won't have any ridiculous repair bills along the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94