Which Overland Vehicle and Why?

SBSYNCRO

"Overlanding" means so many different things to different people that it's next to impossible to arrive at any definitive answers by polling a diverse group of enthusiasts. It depends on how you will use it, where you will use it, and which metrics are more important to you than others. There is no "perfect", only the best series of compromises based on your own values and biases.

Excellent point. I used to “overland” in a ‘72 Beetle with the rear seat removed, a 1/2” plywood deck and a backpack thrown back there with a box of spare parts, a jerry can of gas and a jug of water. Got me all over Baja in the 80’s.

nickw

Adventurer
Excellent point. I used to “overland” in a ‘72 Beetle with the rear seat removed, a 1/2” plywood deck and a backpack thrown back there with a box of spare parts, a jerry can of gas and a jug of water. Got me all over Baja in the 80’s.
You clearly were not overlanding if you didn't have a RTT, LED lights, a snorkel and front bullbar....sorry :)

You should post some pics - sounds cool. Probably a good rig for Baja since they were all over down there during that time, no radiators to fail and dirt simple.

LCReunion

I currently own a '13 Jeep Wrangler 4dr that is heavily mod'ed (not overland style). I love it, but wonder what I would do for overlanding if picking a vehicle. With that...what vehicle do you like best for overlanding and why? Trucks - Jeep Gladiator, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado, other? SUV - Jeep Wrangler (4dr), Toyota 4Runner, other? Now I know most of it depends on terrain, number of people, etc. so I'll just say 2 to 4 people, varying terrain when off-road, travel could be long drive and up to a week. I know that's pretty generic but figured gotta start somewhere.

Really just would like feed back on what you think is the best all around vehicle for overlanding.

Dear MAG00,
I apologize for this group getting so far off track, leading to you losing interest in your own thread. Let's get back to basics:

-Overlanders with any experience will tell you to start with what you have, and spend your first dollars getting out there enough times to find out if whatever you picture as overlanding is really for you(and more importantly your family, as you will go far more often if they are on board with it) before you invest too much time and money.

-Don't buy a brand new vehicle unless you have money that is truly disposable(and in that case, I'll send you routing and account numbers to help you release some of that burden). Brand new vehicles depreciate like a rock when you only drive them to the mall...imagine how much more depreciation with the "custom pinstriping" and sometimes "metal texturing" that comes from traveling to the best places. But buy for example a $15k Landcruiser and 10 years from now it's still worth $15k

-If you later decide to buy a used 4x4, choose based on what you will actually do with it. I know Texas has shockingly limited public lands, meaning you will want to come up to UT/CO/WY/MT etc. Highway comfort on the way will be important. If you're 25 your jeep will be fine...if you're 45 less so. Don't buy a 21ft long pickup with a 13ft wheelbase(real numbers from trucks suggested on this thread), unless you want to put a big camper in the bed and stay on roads without switchbacks, trees, gulleys, or big rocks. But if that is your plan, a big truck will be fine.
More likely you would do best to start with something like this: 2003-2008 Lexus GX470 with over 100k miles(expect 350-400k from the drivetrain); take off the running boards,then ADD a roof rack, 33" tires, "instant pop-up peepee teepee with a Luggable Loo and kitty litter", and a nice strong, easy-to-put-up tent(remember you aren't staying in one spot all week)...that will take you 90-95% of anywhere you want to go...then after some trips you'll know what you will want/need, both for more comfort/family happiness, and that last 5-10% of capability IF you think you want/need it.

-In summary, the people with the most experience overlanding both in the US and around the world will say to spend a modest amount of money(essentials) on your rig and equipment, and a generous amount of money on fuel, food, and time off, so you can GO GO GO

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Dear MAG00,
I apologize for this group getting so far off track, leading to you losing interest in your own thread. Let's get back to basics:

-Overlanders with any experience will tell you to start with what you have, and spend your first dollars getting out there enough times to find out if whatever you picture as overlanding is really for you(and more importantly your family, as you will go far more often if they are on board with it) before you invest too much time and money.

-Don't buy a brand new vehicle unless you have money that is truly disposable(and in that case, I'll send you routing and account numbers to help you release some of that burden). Brand new vehicles depreciate like a rock when you only drive them to the mall...imagine how much more depreciation with the "custom pinstriping" and sometimes "metal texturing" that comes from traveling to the best places. But buy for example a $15k Landcruiser and 10 years from now it's still worth $15k

-If you later decide to buy a used 4x4, choose based on what you will actually do with it. I know Texas has shockingly limited public lands, meaning you will want to come up to UT/CO/WY/MT etc. Highway comfort on the way will be important. If you're 25 your jeep will be fine...if you're 45 less so. Don't buy a 21ft long pickup with a 13ft wheelbase(real numbers from trucks suggested on this thread), unless you want to put a big camper in the bed and stay on roads without switchbacks, trees, gulleys, or big rocks. But if that is your plan, a big truck will be fine.
More likely you would do best to start with something like this: 2003-2008 Lexus GX470 with over 100k miles(expect 350-400k from the drivetrain); take off the running boards,then ADD a roof rack, 33" tires, "instant pop-up peepee teepee with a Luggable Loo and kitty litter", and a nice strong, easy-to-put-up tent(remember you aren't staying in one spot all week)...that will take you 90-95% of anywhere you want to go...then after some trips you'll know what you will want/need, both for more comfort/family happiness, and that last 5-10% of capability IF you think you want/need it.

-In summary, the people with the most experience overlanding both in the US and around the world will say to spend a modest amount of money(essentials) on your rig and equipment, and a generous amount of money on fuel, food, and time off, so you can GO GO GO
Great advice, but just wanna point out that 33" tires on a GX require a lift...but a set of nice 265/70's (31.5") tires would meet the general intent also....

LCReunion

Great advice, but just wanna point out that 33" tires on a GX require a lift...but a set of nice 265/70's (31.5") tires would meet the general intent also....
I think you are right. I have seen others squeeze them in, but may have some rubbing at full lock. It will go a long way on 265/70's...still a good start regarding sidewall strength of AT vs Michelin stocks..(Although I did follow another 100 series down Black Bear who was on his stock Michelins and all survived.)

Last edited:

zblink

This is the .GOV you are talking about, yes? Just to be clear.......

Seriously, just think about it. Then ask yourself when has the .GOV ever had a balanced checkbook....

Point being.... NATO does not use diesel for cost benefit reasons.

Reason #1 is simplicity. SFC

As it is, NATO is in a huge fix currently as a good percentage of vehicles being used are not 100% compatible with the latest diesel

Nato
1. doesnt have to conform to emissions regulations and a bunch of money is spent recalibrating it as so (factory not aftermarket garbage attempts)
2. they do it for supply chain so they can run 1 common fuel, and they don't run the ground vehicles on #2 diesel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles