Which OS?

What OS do you use when on the road?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Hi Guys,
I'm curious to know what OS you're using when on the road. I personally, prefer OSX running on a 15" MacBook Pro, though I've used both Compaq and IBM/Lenovo hardware on the road and been happy with them.

What do you use on the road?

Nick.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Is Microsoft still in the OS business?

I have always thought they were in the headache business and getting kick backs from Tylenol. hehe.

Dang, and I promised my self that I wouldn't say anything bad about M$ in this thread. Oh well... :D

DaveM

Explorer
OSX, although I don't use my computer on the go, but I do use it heavily for trip prep and map generation. There are fewer map GPS and map products for the Mac right now but its getting better and what there is usually runs way better IMO.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm a UNIX guy and run Linux/Solaris on work servers and Macs on my desktops.

That said, I'm "porting" my navigation computer project to Windows XP just because it is easier to deal with for what I'm doing. For building an embedded device I like XP.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Very cool... We have some *nix heads around here along with the fact that OSX is in the lead. :victory:

IH8RDS

Explorer
I use Linux at home, but I wish there was more support so I am stuck with windows on the road. Viking is looking promising if I had an air card to constantly connect to the internet.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I'm desperately curious to see how Solaris and AIX merge.

Same here... :sombrero: I really hope they take some of the best of both worlds as each have some good stuff to bring to the table.

I use Linux at home, but I wish there was more support so I am stuck with windows on the road. Viking is looking promising if I had an air card to constantly connect to the internet.

That is why I use a Mac on the road, as I also use Linux at home. No problems there.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
It would never happen, but can you imagine if IBM contributed AIX's LPARs and Solaris' lightweight threads into Linux? :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles