Which off-road vehicle?

Arktikos

Explorer
Unimog, of course. Seriously man, you've got an Xterra so just go with that.
Yeah, I also had Scouts. They were fun back in the day, but IMO the only guys that should be getting into them at this point in time are people with a lot of time, money and wrenching skills. Probably welding skills too. They're real rust buckets.

So even though I said I wasn't in a big hurry, I still find myself looking at craigslist regularly and doing other research. I started with the cherokee and it sounds good in many areas. Not too sure about the dana 30 front axle and it sounds like the unibody could be a problem here in rust country. There are so many available it is ridiculous and they range from stock to pretty well equiped. Prices seem to vary from about $1500- $4,000 for the vehicles I might consider(although realistically I need to be more in the $1500 range right now). Low end being basically stock, high end have some goodies on them.

I also looked into the Samurai. Would be perfect for the trails I have based on its small size. These are certainly more scarce and they seem to bring a higher price for similar condition and extras as the cherokees. Small size would be great for trails, not great for interior space. Also, stock engine seems to be very weak and to be a great rig, it sounds like I need to do a good bit of work; look for toyota axles and the 1.6 engine from the geo/chevy tracker. I would have to be patient to find the right samurai.

I have also looked more into toyotas and specifically looked for some '85s. Found a pickup and a 4runner. Sounds like the pickup is in great shape with an outstanding frame. Obvious problem is it isn't a 4 seater.
Talking to a guy I know to see if he is intersted in helping me get creative in turning a reg cab into a 4 seater. Not sure if it is worth the effort. If so, I will have to decide between the '94 that I already own vs. picking up an '85. The 1985 I did find is a 22r, not a 22re. Also found a 1985 4runner, but the frame has some rust problems. It obviously has the 4 seats I need. Both of these are about 2 hours from me, so it is a bit of a committment just to take a look.

I haven't written off the xterra, but the above ideas are ones I am examining outside of what I already have/own. Feel free to respond with more insight and ideas. It is tremendously helpful to hear the thoughts of others and considering them seems to help me determine what I really want/need.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Dilemma Continues

I found a '97 XJ nearby for $800. Was advertised at $2k, but didn't sell so I contacted him when the ad expired and asked his rock bottom price. I haven't seen it yet but here is basically what I have been told so far from owner:

Was purchased as a mud toy, then he lost his job, so he is unloading it to get some cash
Replaced front axle(from salvage yard). Dana 30 I assume
Was a manual to begin with, now an auto (not sure which one)
Carpet was cut out to prevent rot.
4" lift, brand unknown
Front fender cut out for larger tires
(He says) rust isn't bad and it is pretty clean underneath. I was concerned about rot with the unibody.
Needs Tires and battery (he said it can be jumped and driven around, but won't start after being shut off)
I asked him if I could hit the trails with it as it is right now(meaning it runs, drives, and everything works that is needed in a trail truck), and he said yes.

This would get me a 4 seater for pretty cheap. I believe there are limitations to the XJ, but at this price, its hard not to consider. I could put $800 more into new tires(probably have to stick with 33" to avoid breaking stuff), lock the rear end, assuming it is the 8.25 and not the dana 35 and probably go most of the places I want to right now. I think it is realistic to have a decent toy for about $2k.

My other option is a (again, I have only talked to the owner) 1985 Toyota Regular Cab pickup(22r). I described this a bit in the previous post. Here are some details about it:
"Only" 154,000 miles
Was used on a southern Kentucky farm for a while and has some body rust, but the frame is supposedly very clean
22R, not 22RE
Rarely driven, or even started over the past 1-2 years. Was started about 3 weeks ago and has had stabilizer in the fuel.
31" tires with a little bit of tread

I have talked to a guy who has built and raced stock cars, single seat off road vehicles, and just recently finished working for a NASCAR team doing body and paint. (Point is, I trust his skill level). He is really excited about turning the 85 into something unique. I could learn a lot from this guy and he is willing to teach me. That is worth a lot in and of itself. We're not talking full on rock crawler, but something we could build a new cab on and have seating for 4 and maybe even have a small bed, too. The yota is $1700, then we would have a good bit of time and money into tearing it down and doing some fab work. I would have more $ in this, definitely, but I think I would end up with a way cooler rig. I could maybe go as big as 35" on the stock axles(or with longfield upgrades). Engine/gearing would be an issue, I imagine. I would also need to lock the rear on this.

But with 2 little ones at home, and him staring up a new business, it could be a long project before I even get to drive it. This option would also make for a safer vehicle. It would basically be a roll cage that we would enclose to be able to heat and keep out of the snow and rain.

So here is my basic dilemma:

I feel like the xj is a quicker means to an end and cheaper in the short term. I can have and sustain (from junk yards) a decent 4x4 for a while until the unibody rots out or I break the front axle too many times. At that point, there won't be much chance to recoup the $ spent. This also won't have a cage which would be nice since my 2 young boys will be riding with me.

The toyota route will be a project; it will take time and money, both of which are in short supply. However, I feel like the platform is a better starting point and will ultimately be something that can continue to be built and upgraded. This might be more cost effective in the long term because I see less chance of having to start over at some point.

Anyway, I am not sure if I conveyed my thinking very well, but I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Is my thinking off base or is there a key idea that I am over looking?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
then there is this guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

A road a unicycle in my teenage years but nothing like that.

GBGCR4x4

Dilemma Continues

I found a '97 XJ nearby for $800. Was advertised at $2k, but didn't sell so I contacted him when the ad expired and asked his rock bottom price. I haven't seen it yet but here is basically what I have been told so far from owner:

Was purchased as a mud toy, then he lost his job, so he is unloading it to get some cash
4" lift, brand unknown
(He says) rust isn't bad and it is pretty clean underneath. I was concerned about rot with the unibody.
Needs Tires and battery (he said it can be jumped and driven around, but won't start after being shut off)
I asked him if I could hit the trails with it as it is right now(meaning it runs, drives, and everything works that is needed in a trail truck), and he said yes.

This would get me a 4 seater for pretty cheap. I believe there are limitations to the XJ, but at this price, its hard not to consider. I could put $800 more into new tires(probably have to stick with 33" to avoid breaking stuff), lock the rear end, assuming it is the 8.25 and not the dana 35 and probably go most of the places I want to right now. I think it is realistic to have a decent toy for about $2k.

My other option is a (again, I have only talked to the owner) 1985 Toyota Regular Cab pickup(22r). I described this a bit in the previous post. Here are some details about it:
"Only" 154,000 miles
Was used on a southern Kentucky farm for a while and has some body rust, but the frame is supposedly very clean
22R, not 22RE
Rarely driven, or even started over the past 1-2 years. Was started about 3 weeks ago and has had stabilizer in the fuel.

I have talked to a guy who has built and raced stock cars, single seat off road vehicles, and just recently finished working for a NASCAR team doing body and paint. (Point is, I trust his skill level). He is really excited about turning the 85 into something unique. I could learn a lot from this guy and he is willing to teach me. That is worth a lot in and of itself. We're not talking full on rock crawler, but something we could build a new cab on and have seating for 4 and maybe even have a small bed, too. The yota is $1700, then we would have a good bit of time and money into tearing it down and doing some fab work. I would have more $ in this, definitely, but I think I would end up with a way cooler rig. I could maybe go as big as 35" on the stock axles(or with longfield upgrades). Engine/gearing would be an issue, I imagine. I would also need to lock the rear on this.

But with 2 little ones at home, and him staring up a new business, it could be a long project before I even get to drive it. This option would also make for a safer vehicle. It would basically be a roll cage that we would enclose to be able to heat and keep out of the snow and rain.

I feel like the xj is a quicker means to an end and cheaper in the short term. I can have and sustain (from junk yards) a decent 4x4 for a while until the unibody rots out or I break the front axle too many times. At that point, there won't be much chance to recoup the $ spent. This also won't have a cage which would be nice since my 2 young boys will be riding with me.

The toyota route will be a project; it will take time and money, both of which are in short supply. However, I feel like the platform is a better starting point and will ultimately be something that can continue to be built and upgraded. This might be more cost effective in the long term because I see less chance of having to start over at some point.

Anyway, I am not sure if I conveyed my thinking very well, but I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Is my thinking off base or is there a key idea that I am over looking?
Stumbled upon this thread literally by luck. Wondering how the Toyota project turned out? I myself am considering getting a 1996 Hilux. Not 100% sold on it yet. That said, I believe you also have a Subaru Outback. A friend of mine is looking at getting an overlanding roof rack, he's considering the one I linked. do you have any rack on yours?

billiebob

Dilemma Continues

4" lift, brand unknown

"Only" 154,000 miles
22R, not 22RE

Did you ever buy anything??
and what? how did it work etc ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles