Which off-road vehicle?

First, let me say that I wasn't really sure where to post this one, so hopefully this works. Secondly, I understand that what I am asking is not really about an expedition vehicle, but I'm not on the hardcore offroad forums and some are a little to negative and rude for my liking. I don't mind searching them for info, but not really interested in posting.

So my question(s) is (are) about a casual off road vehicle for SE Ohio hills, trails, mud, etc.. I am not needing a hardcore rock crawler or 2.5 ton axles with jumbo mud boggers. Here's what I am looking for:

1. A vehicle to go up and down our driveway in the winter when we get snow & ice.20130122_155957.jpg

2. Something that can seat the family of 4 (my wife, 2 boys ages 5 and 2 and myself)

3. A vehicle that can run around our trails, some of the neighbors trails, and run up and down the gravel roads at at least 30 mph. Street legal is a bonus, but I can run my road and a few others without tags. People run 4wheelers and utvs around out here all the time.

4. I also want to maintain a dry passenger space with heat and maybe even a/c. If we get into the mud, I want it on the truck, not in it.

5. Also, a utility vehicle. Something I can throw the chain saw in, carry some fire wood, take down to the neighbors fishing pond, basically a do it all vehicle for rural living.

I am surely missing some ideas, but that gives you a basic idea. Now, here is what I have and what I am considering. I am of course open to other suggestions as well.

A few years ago, I bought a '94 toyota reg cab pickup because I wanted a utv and couldn't afford (justify the cost of) one. Its a 4cyl, 5 spd, wooden bed, ag tractor tires. Fun little beast and I only have about $1600 in it. The good aspects are listed above plus I don't really care if I hit a tree or bang it around. The Problems: Running over 20mph on those tires will shake the fillings out of your teeth, it currently doesn't run and I can't figure it out(posted in the toyota forum a while back, and got some suggestions, but never solved it), reg cap doesn't sit 4 people, needs a locker or welded diff in the rear.

I could weld the diff and try to get creative and make it a 4 seater somehow, but not really sure how that would turn out. Could still have a small bed on it too. Have to get it running too, of course.

We also have the wife's old cj7 that has been sitting for about 14 years and she is wanting to get it running again. She drove it in college, top down cruising around with her friends and even drove it for the first handful of years of her work career. It basically needs a frame of restoration at this point. If we do all that, I can't image taking it in the woods and beating it up. It would likely be more of a cuise for some summer ice cream kind of ride. No matter what, we will keep the Jeep. My wife bought it when she was 17 with some of the insurance $ from when her mom died. The emotional value is way more than even the inflated jeep value.

We also have an '04 xterra. Was my wife's daily driver until recently. Bought it new and put about 200k trouble free miles on it. It is paid for, runs, seats 4, strwet legal amd plated, but is nice enough that I am not sure if I want to beat it up. It obviuosly doesn't have a bed and it would also need a locker and maybe some slightly larger and more aggressive tires. It does have the 4.9 gears, stock.

Or, we could sell the toyota (not for much since it is beat up and doesn't run) and look for a samurai. If we don't use the xterra, we would sell it and put that $ toward the Jeep.

So here is where all of you come in. What are your thoughts, questions and suggestions? How do the toyota and nissan compare in off road capability? Is a samurai better or worse? Some of my trails are pretty tight, but they can always be opened up if necessary.

Are there better options that I am not considering?

I gues the goal is a relatively low budget, utility vehicle that mixes the convience and capability of a side-by-side, with the benefits of an actual vehicle.

Fire away! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that, I bought one once (dont remember the year) for this purpose. It had been wrecked in the front and needed some things done to it. But I decided I didn't have the time to work on it, so I sold it a few weeks later. Actually forgot about that until now...guess I am kicking myself for that decision.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Those two boys are going to grow faster than you think. I suggest a third generation Power Wagon Quad Cab (yes, I own one), because it will do do everything you list in your post. Everything, including trails. The 4G PWs got bigger, so a little less trail worthy.

Happykamper

Explorer
Jeep XJ mid 1998-2000 . Great handling, plenty of room and the 4wd is set for anything !
Plus they just keep going up in price . The motor is just about as bomb proof as your going to see. And the Auto trans is very very close to the motor as for reliability. Plus after you get it and use it for awhile ... Plenty of easy to install mods, that won't break the bank!!!
Next up is a 1999 or 2005 4Runner.

The xj seems popular. Looked at some local craigslists and there are plenty out there. Did a little research and it seems like the 98s and 99s are a safe bet but avoiding the dana 35 is a key. 4.0l autos look like a 3.55:1 ratio. What size tires can I stuff under these(without rubbing) and still move around well with that ratio? Remember, not a daily driver, just an off road toy.

Might be a '98 near me for cheap. Rebuilt title (doesn't much matter to me in this case) and a vacuum leak according to the ad. Says it runs a little rough, but they only drive out on the snow so it doesn't bother them. It's multi colored (replacement parts from rebuild) and had some rust. 195k miles...any concern there?

Really starting to think I should have kept the one I had years ago.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I vote for the 04 Xterra. I've seen some of those built into pretty respectable beater trail rigs.

I can't see you getting more money out of it than a beater trail rig will cost, assuming you don't mind gathering parts and piecing it together.

xterra.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For light trails and mud with light hauling;
Pretty much any 4wd (with low range) SUV will work; where you need to be selective is when you "need" something more (which is usually what happens when people get a bit experienced at wheeling).
I would recommend getting something that will take 32 inch mud tires stock (the first mod is usually tires) with at least, stock, 3.73 gearing to 4.11 axle gearing.
Automatic versus manual transmission is a largely subjective preference issue.
Many folks with 4 cylinder engines find out that they want more power/torque after getting a bit of experience.
A good/effective electronic traction control system can help off road especially with limited travel independent suspensions (a hole or slight washout is usually the downfall of limited travel suspensions not rock crawling).
Solid front axles are easier and cheaper to mod than independent front suspensions, however for light wheeling mods should not be necessary (there is usually a bit of difference between want and need in reality).
An OEM limited slip rear differential is normally a bonus (though the internal clutches often need replacement if there is moderate to high miles on the vehicle).
I would recommend finding a local 4wd club and going to a couple of meetings to start getting a feel for what vehicles and mods work are best fit for your wants and desires in your area. Most clubs do regular runs and you can probably arrange to ride along to see what works and what is just for show.

Enjoy!

As far as a powerwagon, what years are you referring to? Overall, I think that is a bit big for most of the trails I am thinking of. The boys will someday think otherwise, you're probably right there. Also, availability seems to be a bit of an issue, at least in my area. .

I agree with you, HappyJoe, on many points and in the near future there shouldn't be anything too extreme. In the toyota pickup I have come to realize that an open rear end is tremendously limiting on my property, so I would definitely be looking to lock the rear one way or another.

I also don't want to get just any 4wd now and then later realize that I do want to get a little more extreme and be limited in doing so because of the vehicle. I guess I am hoping for something that is pretty good "out of the box" but can also be built up further down the road if so desired. An ifs would be an example of what I am referring to. Fine for now, but would possibly have to do sas later. Why not start with solid axle? I do, of course, understand that for enough $ you can build anything, but budget will always be the name of the game with me.

Keep the info and ideas coming, please.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Solid axles are becoming increasing rare and will limit your vehicle choice; however I agree that they are a very good thing to get up front, with mods in mind; Had an XJ Cherokee (try for '96 or newer to get the larger front axle shafts) and it worked fine off road but was vey light duty body wise. I really prefer a frame. Another choice is a ZJ grand Cherokee their bodies are stiffer and a bit more substantial and they too have solid front axles. We had a lot of fun in old blazers and broncos too, however many have long since rusted away...

Enjoy!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
As far as a powerwagon, what years are you referring to?
The 3G came out in 2005. That is what I own and is probably best of breed in modern PWs. In 2006 they went to the canbus electronics, some advantages for a street machine, but the usual computer downsides for everything else. I think the 3G went to about 2010 or so, with minor upgrades in power and creature comforts. The 4G got a longer cab and is larger overall, nicer truck on the highway but less nimble offroad. Re locking the rears, the PWs all have LSD rears plus factory lockers on both solid axles, plus the big Warn winch. Just about all PWs can fit 35" tires on stock wheels with no other mods, and most of the 3Gs can fit 37s with no or minimal mods. The PW is not only better than "pretty good out of the box," it is astoundingly good out of the box and can be easily modded to do anything a truck ever needs to do. And the back seat will hold the boys when they are teenagers. And you can carry a chainsaw and a lot of firewood in the bed.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would build the xterra. Small lift, ARB bumper up front with a winch for recovery, Air locker, and some good tires...you could go damn near anywhere with it!

Heading Out

Adventurer
For a low buck back woods beater I believe the Jeeps are the best choice. Another option to the Cherokees would be a Wrangler of the YJ or TJ verity with the hard top option. Lots to choose from with price and condition from great to beat, so depending on the condition you get, you don't feel bad thrashing it

They will seat 4, and with the rear seat folded or removed can haul tools and things. price to buy in is low and they have the solid axles you want. A stock Wrangler will get you most places, and there is LOTS of aftermarket support if you do decide on mods. If the Dana 35 worries you, a Ford 8.8 axle from an Explorer can be swapped in easily. The top is removable and the windshield can be folded down with a couple of simple changes, so in the summertime the family can ride in the sun. that may be enough to spark the wife into a restoration on her old CJ.:clapping:

JakeH

Adventurer
Build the xterra. Lokka is totally automatic & not too pricey. No need for electronic or air expenses either. A locked xterra on decent tires will go just about anywhere plus you already own it

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Get an old Jeep YJ. '94ish.

Put a couple dana44 axles under it whenever you want to with an SYE. Put a simple GM 383 carb'd engine in it If you want to. The best frame off CJ7 rebuild I've ever seen, was dropping the CJ7's cool stuff on a YJ. Guy had a rust free CJ with a junk frame, and a rusty YJ with a perfect frame. Fixing up a CJ frame and axles costs as much as an entire YJ in good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94