Which of these trucks should I choose for full time living?

Which truck is best for full time living with a cab over camper?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dole

Hello friends, I was hoping you could help me decide between a couple trucks for living in full time with a slide in camper. I'm a 25 year old guy feeling extremely unsatisfied with living the 9-5 rat race life, and managed to both be alienated by my family as well as broke up with my girlfriend all in the last year so I have no roots to anything - I'm going to basically be doing "van life" except with a truck and cab-over-type camper instead of a van.

I currently have a Toyota Tacoma, and the payload capacity paired with the tiny box on it is nowhere near capable of carrying a camper sufficient for full time living. I've loved my Tacoma but realize I'll be best off selling the it in order to buy a larger truck for the sole purpose of being able to carry a comfortably sized cab over camper.

I am a Toyota guy because of the great reliability, and I don't care on bit about creature comforts or bells and whistles. So naturally my first inclination was to buy a 2nd gen Tundra after I sell the Tacoma. However I am also considering an F-150 solely due to the fact that the F-150 has a much better payload capacity or than the Tundra. At the same time I am also tossing around the idea of getting a 90's Cummins diesel just because everyone raves about how long they last and that would be a fraction of the price of the Tundra or F-150, but I also have never owned a diesel and don't know how to work on them. I am decent at wrenching on gas vehicles though. 4WD is a must.

Budget for the truck is about $25K.

PROS / CONS

Toyota Tundra (2007-2013)
Pros: Toyota reliability,
Cons: Lower payload capacity would make weight more of a factor than the other trucks

F-150 (Mid 2000's depending on budget)
Pros: Plenty of payload capacity
Cons: Reliability, which matters a lot when it's your whole home and only vehicle all in one

Old Diesel (80's-90's F250/F350 probably)
Pros: Everyone says they last forever, has better payload than both of the other trucks combined, fraction of the cost of the other trucks
Cons: More expensive to maintain, and I have no prior knowledge about working on diesels, older and probably +200k miles so will inevitably need work

If anyone with some insight or experience can offer it to me I would be much appreciative! Thank you in advance!

ExpoMike

Really going to depend on what camper you are planning to haul. If something lightweight like A/T Habit or a GFC or the sorts, most of those choices would work. If you are looking at an actual slide in camper, go with a 3/4 or ton truck. Numbers on paper might suggest a 1/2 ton would be fine but in reality it will not be. You will likely be over GVWR. Depending on the camper, even 3/4 ton trucks are pushing some of the limits.

As for older diesels, the non computer ones are fairly easy to work on but there is a big learning curve on them but once you get that, they are fairly simple. Anything with a computer, much more complicated and likely look for a gas powered truck.

billiebob

Might help if we knew where you live, Alaska vs Florida is a pretty massive swing.

Heck we don't even know if yer in North America.
This is an International Forum.

ps, regardless I'd either work with the Taco you have or go an old Powerstroke Diesel or a Cummins 24 valve.
pretty much indestructible with solid axles and a clutch.

but make up with yer family before ya run away.
and make sure you can afford unemployment.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Have a read through this as well if you are thinking about a 1/2 ton:

I also suspect a 3/4 - 1 ton from the 90's may have a similar payload rating to a modern 1/2 ton.

Check the door sticker on the actual truck you are looking at to be sure though.

dole

Might help if we knew where you live, Alaska vs Florida is a pretty massive swing.

Heck we don't even know if yer in North America.
This is an International Forum.

ps, regardless I'd either work with the Taco you have or go an old Powerstroke Diesel or a Cummins 24 valve.
pretty much indestructible with solid axles and a clutch.

but make up with yer family before ya run away.
and make sure you can afford unemployment.

I am located in Utah, USA. However one of the biggest draws of this type of living is the ability to move around frequently. I have lived out of a Subaru hatchback before and loved the freedom, but obviously a small car isn't comfortable. I also won't be using unemployment or any handouts, I will be getting work along the way. First stop is a fishing town in the Pacific Northwest that I have spent some time in prior. I'll work there until I feel like changing location and then find work at the next place. Thanks for your input by the way!

dole

Really going to depend on what camper you are planning to haul. If something lightweight like A/T Habit or a GFC or the sorts, most of those choices would work. If you are looking at an actual slide in camper, go with a 3/4 or ton truck. Numbers on paper might suggest a 1/2 ton would be fine but in reality it will not be. You will likely be over GVWR. Depending on the camper, even 3/4 ton trucks are pushing some of the limits.

As for older diesels, the non computer ones are fairly easy to work on but there is a big learning curve on them but once you get that, they are fairly simple. Anything with a computer, much more complicated and likely look for a gas powered truck.

Definitely going much larger than a GFC. I plan on buying a run-down old solid wall cab over and gutting the inside to rebuild the interior setup lightweight and minimalistically, similar to how people build out the inside of vans. I was hoping I could keep the whole camper around 1,500 lbs and I think I can. For something like that you don't think an F150 or Tundra would do?

dole

Have a read through this as well if you are thinking about a 1/2 ton:

I also suspect a 3/4 - 1 ton from the 90's may have a similar payload rating to a modern 1/2 ton.

Check the door sticker on the actual truck you are looking at to be sure though.

Thank you, I will read through that thread. Supposedly from some googling, the 90's F250 diesels are in the ballpark of around 4,000 lbs payload capacity but I could do some more definitive research to confirm that.

billiebob

I plan on buying a run-down old solid wall cab over and gutting the inside to rebuild the interior setup lightweight and minimalistically, similar to how people build out the inside of vans.
You'll definitely be way over the Tacoma capacity. Ubilts are always way heavier than anything manufactured. They are also often much more durable. An old F250 is a great place to start, even with a gas engine. Really no need for a diesel. Lots of advantages to gas. Better winter starts. Much cheaper to maintain. WAY cheaper to fix when things go wrong. Lighter too. Cheaper to buy too.

As Todd n Natalie say..... READ THE RATING on the a-pillar before you buy. The big 3 make many different GVWRs even if they look identical.

ExpoMike

Definitely going much larger than a GFC. I plan on buying a run-down old solid wall cab over and gutting the inside to rebuild the interior setup lightweight and minimalistically, similar to how people build out the inside of vans. I was hoping I could keep the whole camper around 1,500 lbs and I think I can. For something like that you don't think an F150 or Tundra would do?

Older campers are going to be even heavier than newer ones, as they are almost all wood. Many companies have switched to aluminum or composite for newer builds. Personally, I think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you get any 1/2 ton rated truck and doing a slide in of any type. My '97 Ram (Cummins powered) with a 4WC Grandby popup (which is fairly light compared to wood campers) still came in at 8600 lbs. with me in it. The GVWR was 8800 lbs.

If you're planning to live full time out of it, you'll likely find you end up heavier than you think, once you get all of your gear in. Remember, you are not going to have a home for living in during the week and use the camper on the weekends. Everything you will have and own will be in the rig. It adds up very quickly. 3/4 or 1 ton is really the way to go. Gas over diesel unless you plan to do heavy towing. Diesel if you find the right deal.

dole

You'll definitely be way over the Tacoma capacity. Ubilts are always way heavier than anything manufactured. They are also often much more durable. An old F250 is a great place to start, even with a gas engine. Really no need for a diesel. Lots of advantages to gas. Better winter starts. Much cheaper to maintain. WAY cheaper to fix when things go wrong. Lighter too. Cheaper to buy too.

As Todd n Natalie say..... READ THE RATING on the a-pillar before you buy. The big 3 make many different GVWRs even if they look identical.

Yes no question that the Tacoma couldn't handle it. You think a 90's gas F150 would be reliable enough to not end up stranded on some Nevada highway in 118 degree heat? It's going to be a different level of reliability I'll need considering I will almost always be in places where I don't know anyone and my whole home will be attached to it

skyfree

Have you considered getting a trailer and keeping your Tacoma? If I was young and by myself I could see living in my Escape 17B, which is easily towable by that vehicle. Add a cap on the truck for storage because you will need a lot of it.

I've gone the slide-in hardside camper route before and if you are living in it I can't imagine you would be under 3,000 lbs. They are really short on storage so most people who full time in a cabover truck camper pull a cargo trailer anyway.

ExpoMike

Another option, similar to the trailer idea is to put a slide in camper on a trailer. This way you can also move up to the appropriate sized truck when the time is right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online