which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

Clutch

<---Pass
Four Wheelers tests are weak sauce.

The cooler test, which over priced pickup hauls one the best? Man, tough call!

Clearly not real men doing the test, nary a Yeti in sight! ;)

2018-pickup-truck-of-the-year-rears.jpg

I drove one before I bought the Ford. I thought it was a nice truck. The only reason I didn't go with the Tundra is I felt the Ford dealer was giving me a better deal for the options / mileage vs sale price.

Ford will always give the best deals. Driving them back to back...feel extremely similar to me. Any differences comes down to splitting hairs.

Since it is all about service these days, no one even changes their own oil anymores. Have client who has both...said the Toyota service department is leaps and bounds better than the Ford dealer, which are literally across the street from one another here. So if you're a type of person who uses the service department, might be worth paying a little extra for the Tundra.

Kingsize24

For what it is worth, my 2017 6.4 Hemi Off Road Package, same Hemi that is in the PW, never used a drop of premium fuel. I fed it nothing but regular without any issues. The 6.4 Hemi does not require premium, it is only recommended. All that happens is it pulls some timing under heavy full load. I however never noticed any issues. Power Wagon Registry is a good source for information prior to purchase, and there are many there that do the same.

Jason

Personally, this is what I'm looking for except for the fuel mileage issue, which has already been discussed.

I did recently see a video of an F150 on 33s with a 5.0L that was getting 15 mpg. I'm not sure if that's normal, but if so, that seems comparable to the powerwagon and makes the decision easier.

However, the need for premium fuel would change things. I'd rather not have to worry about finding premium or spending the extra for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Can we get back to which is best rather than digressing into old men sitting around the porch talking about the good old days of crappy interiors?

LOL! I like this guy's spirit. But perhaps we should start on something easier: what's the best kind of oil? Tires: M/T vs A/T? Cooler vs refrigerator. Ground tent vs RTT. Boxers vs briefs.

This thread is nothing but a bunch of brand loyalists preaching their undying love for X brand because that's what they bought and they can't be wrong.

HayStax

Looks like the new Fords to me. Remove the badges and you can barely tell who made it. Luxury interiors that guys are demanding now-a-days, are kinda silly for a truck....gone are the days when you could hose them out... these are "trucks" right? :unsure:

2019-Toyota-Tundra_B_o.jpg

2019-Ford-F-150-interior.jpg

Trucks need to be more Minecat, and less Cadillac....well that is if you truly use it as a truck, most don't, which is why the interiors have become wussified...

http://www.mineute.com

This is a "truck" interior...those others, I don't know what effe they are....

mine-cat-ut99d-crew-cab-underground-truck-b50-072.1_f.jpg

How much time do you spend driving a real truck? Or operating equipment? If that’s what you’re looking for in a recreational pursuit then more power to you! Most people don’t really want to go back 30 years in technology when choosing a vehicle. I’ve got thousands of hours and around 1 million miles driving, I prefer a few modern comforts. Hell most of our farm equipment has heated seats these days!

And our area is the home to the largest gold mining industry in North America - you won’t find any of these mine trucks there. Ford owns the market hands down, nothing else holds up. No one buys XL trim either, it’s an office+transportation for 14 hours a day, try keeping help around driving old trucks.

********** all you want about new trucks, you can drive old ******** all you want. If the big 3 made a brand new 70’s style truck no one would buy it. If you want a LC79 more power to you, just be real about what sells and therefore is offered.

HayStax

Do those giant tv screens dim down enough at night? Like almost gone? I hate it when my dash is brighter than my high beams.

Yes. My Ford screens in ‘11, ‘15, and ‘18 do at least. We have an ‘08 gasser XL and what a stupid interior. Too simple, no door pockets, no cup holders, stupid. Like $100 worth of plastic is a deal breaker.

I’m not a proponent of platinum or limited trims, would never pay for another ranch’s name and brand on my truck either! But bottom of the barrel simple is just as foolish

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Actually the new trucks have the same door panels, seats, and cup holders as XLT's etc. You just don't have to pay extra for a rubber floor. The XL's ain't so base anymore. Power everything, just no frivolous stuff.

Other neat bits to the XL's
-not paying extra for wheels that will just get stacked in the back yard (too narrow for 37x13.5)
-the tailgate isn't possessed by the debil. It locks and unlocks via the key, but no powered up down. You actually get a regular olde school handle
-no silly bumper sensors that get messed up by bumpers and lifts.
-regular reliable steering, not the pathetic adaptive steering nightmare
-esof, or manual shift. Your choice. I don't even care anymore, both have their up sides. I think I still prefer manual. I have one of each right now.
-the nice black grill, not the ugly sea of chrome
-you can add extras still, but I prefer a more 1999 type truck
-can't code grab the xl key

Just toss some good wheels and tires on, tint the windows, and it's a pretty tough truck on a budget.

Only downside so far, I'd kill for the mirror ditch lights. But maybe I'll flush mount a Rigid light into the sides of the front bumper or something. And the xl 250's need the brake controller added.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
How much time do you spend driving a real truck? Or operating equipment? If that’s what you’re looking for in a recreational pursuit then more power to you! Most people don’t really want to go back 30 years in technology when choosing a vehicle. I’ve got thousands of hours and around 1 million miles driving, I prefer a few modern comforts. Hell most of our farm equipment has heated seats these days!

And our area is the home to the largest gold mining industry in North America - you won’t find any of these mine trucks there. Ford owns the market hands down, nothing else holds up. No one buys XL trim either, it’s an office+transportation for 14 hours a day, try keeping help around driving old trucks.

********** all you want about new trucks, you can drive old **** all you want. If the big 3 made a brand new 70’s style truck no one would buy it. If you want a LC79 more power to you, just be real about what sells and therefore is offered.
Think you’re missing the point. Modern tech is good. But would like to see the opposite end of the spectrum of luxury trim. An interior with water proof gauges and switches, more for dust than anything for when you go to hose it out. Less soft touch and more something you aren’t afraid of putting your boots on. Good example being is...dirt bike buddy of mine told me I couldn’t wear my moto boots in his F350. Think we had to go run and get gas or something. And I am like this is a truck, right!? Why so afraid of screwing up the interior? Because it can’t take abuse. Where in my truck I don’t care, wear your muddy boots because it is a truck.

Be nice if they had an option where you don’t feel the need to change clothes to get in. Like the old days... something you can hose out twice a year.

Main reason there are so many Fords at the mines here is because they are the lowest bidder. Nothing really to do with how tough they are. We used to own a construction company, you buy the cheapest fleet vehicles you can. We had everything single Big 3 brand at one time or another. Meh they are all crap. ;)

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Meh. You can get a fancy truck dirty. My brother's King Ranch F350 had been buried so deep in the mid you couldn't hardly open the doors. The seat massager still works great ?

All the 1/2 tons are good. 3/4s are to heavy in my opinion.

ITTOG

Do those giant tv screens dim down enough at night? Like almost gone? I hate it when my dash is brighter than my high beams.
You must need new head lights. I have an 07 tundra limited with nav and 18 f150 Platinum with nav. Neither statement is brighter than my headlights. They aren't even as bright as the interior lights.

As for which one is better, I wish I would have bought another tundra.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
[QUOTE
Main reason there are so many Fords at the mines here is because they are the lowest bidder. Nothing really to do with how tough they are. We used to own a construction company, you buy the cheapest fleet vehicles you can. We had everything single Big 3 brand at one time or another. Meh they are all crap. ;)[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. I worked as a buyer for one of the world's biggest mining companies in Northern Nevada for many years. Ford WAS NOT always the lowest bidder. But the Fords were the easiest to keep running. If you know anything about modern mining you know these truck run in mud all their lives (got to keep them haul roads wet, no dust!). The GMs we tried needed a complete front end redo yearly - even the Suburbans and all they did was haul tour groups around. The mud - especially freezing mud in the winter - would build up in those A-frames and tear them up quickly. Parts for the Dodges were sometimes impossible to find...we bought a couple Dodge/Cummins 5500s one time, and put service bodies on them. A carrier bearing went out (mud, again) on one of them in just a couple months and it took Dodge months to come up with a replacement. Continuing parts problems caused us to get rid of the Dodges. Anything we needed for any of the Fords that wasn't stocked in our warehouse we would get overnight from Salt Lake.

The other equation here is - staying with one manufacturer saves on warehousing costs and maintenance costs. The section of our warehouse dedicated to Ford pickup parts was large enough, for sure we didn't want to add GM and Dodge sections. And our mechanics went to Ford training classes and used Ford proprietary software to work on the new trucks. Were we to send these guys to GM and Dodge training also?

Regardless, I think it is telling that almost every mining company in Nevada uses Ford pickups but I can assure you that Ford was not always the lowest bidder. It just makes economic sense to stick with one manufacturer rather than try to support two or three different ones.

roving1

GM's have the worst off road capability and the worst design with crap mounted in perilous places all up and down the frame rail. If that is important to you I would avoid.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Actually the new trucks have the same door panels, seats, and cup holders as XLT's etc. You just don't have to pay extra for a rubber floor. The XL's ain't so base anymore. Power everything, just no frivolous stuff.
They're pretty base up here. You can't order the power package like you can in the U.S. manual windows and locks on a crew cab would suck for a family.

Dalko43

Explorer
Main reason there are so many Fords at the mines here is because they are the lowest bidder. Nothing really to do with how tough they are. We used to own a construction company, you buy the cheapest fleet vehicles you can. We had everything single Big 3 brand at one time or another. Meh they are all crap. ;)

I beg to differ. I worked as a buyer for one of the world's biggest mining companies in Northern Nevada for many years. Ford WAS NOT always the lowest bidder. But the Fords were the easiest to keep running. If you know anything about modern mining you know these truck run in mud all their lives (got to keep them haul roads wet, no dust!). The GMs we tried needed a complete front end redo yearly - even the Suburbans and all they did was haul tour groups around. The mud - especially freezing mud in the winter - would build up in those A-frames and tear them up quickly. Parts for the Dodges were sometimes impossible to find...we bought a couple Dodge/Cummins 5500s one time, and put service bodies on them. A carrier bearing went out (mud, again) on one of them in just a couple months and it took Dodge months to come up with a replacement. Continuing parts problems caused us to get rid of the Dodges. Anything we needed for any of the Fords that wasn't stocked in our warehouse we would get overnight from Salt Lake.

The other equation here is - staying with one manufacturer saves on warehousing costs and maintenance costs. The section of our warehouse dedicated to Ford pickup parts was large enough, for sure we didn't want to add GM and Dodge sections. And our mechanics went to Ford training classes and used Ford proprietary software to work on the new trucks. Were we to send these guys to GM and Dodge training also?

Regardless, I think it is telling that almost every mining company in Nevada uses Ford pickups but I can assure you that Ford was not always the lowest bidder. It just makes economic sense to stick with one manufacturer rather than try to support two or three different ones.

And yet driving up the Dalton Highway or just cruising down my local interstate, I see just as many Dodge/Ram trucks as I see Fords pulling heavy loads or hauling a vocation service body (sometimes more Dodge/Ram than Ford in my neck of the woods).

The personal observation that forms most opinions (well my company uses only brand X so brand X must be the best) is a wash and mostly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. All 3 of the big OEM's make decent enough 3/4 tons; there are design differences here and there but I don't think a company or self-employed truck owner is going to be worse off for picking one 3/4 ton brand over the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles