Which new trailer fits my needs?

Srpat

Observer
I've been going in circles the last few weeks researching trailer ideas. I need something that allows me to pack a few things and head out for a weekend (or longer) camping trip. I like the idea of an enclosed offroad trailer, but every time I narrow down what I like and what my wife and two kids would like, I keep coming back to something like a 10-12 foot long Aliner. Although cool and reasonably priced, even a modified offroad version is not all that offroad capable.

After that, I tell myself I can just mount a RTT on top of my Tacoma bed and call it good. It's tempting, but that would still have me packing things up for a couple hours, at least, before any camping trip. The same problem comes when I keep coming back to my flippac. Perfect camping set up for me, except that it would take me hours to pack up and go. I use my Tacoma as a work truck daily, so anything like a flippac, or even a RTT wouldn't be able to be permanently mounted to my truck.

So I need a trailer. And the trailer has to be small enough to go on some of the moderate trails that I like when I am on an offroad camping trip. I've gone thru the websites of every offroad trailer manufacturer I could find and I can't find one that I am looking for that is under 10K. My biggest requirements for an offroad trailer are:
Not huge
Not over $10,000 for a base
Preferably something that is a base model with nothing but storage options and a lid
**it needs to have a system in place to raise the RTT up so that I can have a full-height annex room.

The last requirement has been my biggest problem. The Campa Cub is somewhat close to what I am looking for. VMI makes a base model as well that is well built and almost what I need, except neither of them have the system to raise the RTT. I know I could take a trailer to a fab shop and put it on, but by the time I pay for all that, I might as well have the fab shop build the whole trailer. And a fab shop, even one that builds custom trailers, has probably never built an offroad trailer (I'm in Wisconsin).

The Campa ATT is exactly what I want, except I don't want them to put any of the finishings in it. And I don't want to pay close to $20,000 for a trailer.

Anybody know which trailer fits what I need?

srpat

1Louder

Explorer
Do you at least have a list of all of the different manufacturers out there? There are some nice modified M416 trailers out there but it could be difficult to inspect one if they are not in your area. In AZ we have MOAB Trailers, Turtleback (above your price point), Adventure Trailers, and a couple more that I can't think of.

dzrtdave

Supporting Sponsor: Turtleback Trailers
Out here at Turtleback we will have a box unit well under $10k and our Expedition utility fits what your looking for and is in production at this time

Dzrtdave from Turtleback Trailers

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You should check out a thread here titled M416 simple build. For 10k you'll could source a really nice M416 and more tent space than you'll know what to do with

Personally I can't wrap my head around the cost of some of these off road M416 style trailers, no matter how many drawers, slides, and batteries you stick on it. For the cost of some I could pay somebody to follow me around and set up camp for me till I died of old age.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
You should check out a thread here titled M416 simple build. For 10k you'll could source a really nice M416 and more tent space than you'll know what to do with

Personally I can't wrap my head around the cost of some of these off road M416 style trailers, no matter how many drawers, slides, and batteries you stick on it. For the cost of some I could pay somebody to follow me around and set up camp for me till I died of old age.
I'm right there with you, while I appreciate innovation and durability, I just can't wrap my head around the pricing. At 10K for a base, I mean that's almost a brand new car, albeit not much of one, but at least it drives. But then again I have a hard time wrapping my head around pricing for most "expo" labeled items. It seems a rich man's sport for sure some times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
I would also add that I am not a fan of any lift system for an RTT. That's why I built a box style trailer like the Turtleback design. I have seen many DIY designs for lifts. Some work, some don't. It really depends on if you want to put an electrical system into the trailer or not. The box unit that Turtleback is going to produce may fit the bill.

RangeRunner17

Observer
It seems a rich man's sport for sure some times.

It's only a rich mans sport if you make it. You don't need the newest truck with the most tricked out trailer to travel the world. I haven't been many places, but from my limited experiences, you can travel anywhere you want with a cooler, a sleeping bag/tent, and gas to get you there. Everything else is a want, not a need.

I'm only 22, but from what I've learned you don't need much to wake up tomorrow morning. Chow, water, and something to stay warm. Everything else is a luxury. Take what you have and make the best of it, be it the people your with or the scenery around you.

I don't mean to sound pretentious (although I probably do), but that's what I've learned in my travels.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
^^^^ Totally agree, I was mostly inferring to what I read on this site, you don't see many reviews for the Coleman family camping package in the top banner of the home page. Though I was impressed that the lowly Cherokee made the cut in the recent SUV article. And, if you can, choose, or want to pay for a titanium spork to eat in a $200 camp chair I have no problems with that. Though I would very much like to have a fully outfitted expo trailer, the 10K plus range is just a hard pill to swallow. Do I need one, absolutely not, but I sure would like to have one. But then again I would also like to put that 10 into my lowly Cherokee and Wagoneer.

At 22 Uncle Sam said I only needed a rack, a sack, and 3 squares, so I totally agree with you. And he was even kind enough to provide the transportation.

Rah.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

capnjackcanon

Observer
SRPAT,

Just get a local shop to build exactly what you want, 10K should easily get it, I am building my own trailer out of my garage and plan on taking what I've learned from my build and building more like it afterward and selling them. Minus certain specifics, (ARB Refrigerator's, Solar Panel's etc... ) you can really put together a trailer for around 1-2K if you do all of your own labor, so then add in the labor, and throw on whatever expensive add ons you want, and you're definitely sub 10K and it's exactly what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior