Which new 1 Ton Diesel would you buy?

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks for the useful input. More useful than from the various truck forums for this application.

I find the suicide doors and e-locker a pro. Got use to them with our Toyota.

The aluminum strength issue is probably more of a negative for me than any perceived corrosion benefit.

I like the simplicity of the 6 speed transmission over the 10. But then I was told yesterday at the dealer that the 10 speed jumped down to a 6 speed when in heavy tow mode. If that is true, the 10 speed seems even less important.

Have to talk to my favorite mechanic and get his input on the 7.3 ford over the 6.6 gm.

It will most likely get down to availability.

They build class 8 trucks and aircraft out of aluminum.... It has no strength issues.

Your dealer is a moron...lol. The 10 speed uses all 10 gears when towing. When your empty it will skip gears based on load and throttle input. If it will be more efficient to skip a gear, it will. If not, it won't.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My personal preference has always been for Ford and I still think (like the poster quoted above said) that they have the best overall HD consumer grade truck at the moment. I drive a RAM with a Cummins at the moment and while I think I am coming to prefer the CTD over the PSD in terms of characteristics, I still think that I prefer the cab and overall body of the Ford over the RAM. I get far better fuel economy with the Cummins but it doesn't have the get up and go that the V8 Powerstroke and Duramax have.
So you'll be trading your RAM for Super Duty in a few months? :p

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So you'll be trading your RAM for Super Duty in a few months? :p

Haha, doubtful. I honestly can't believe how much I am enjoying a stripped down work grade single cab truck, it reminds me of being in high school back when that was all we had for the most part. I've gotten more thumbs up and compliments on this simple truck than I have with all of the other lifted Super Duty's combined, it's wild how often it gets the nod of approval. I'll be adding a Ford to the garage in the next 12-18 months but it'll likely be a Bronco.

Porkchopexpress

They build class 8 trucks and aircraft out of aluminum.... It has no strength issues.

Aluminum can be just as strong as steel and weigh less. It just has different properties. If I was going to be dumping buckets of rocks in the bed, definitely steel because it will bend before it will break. It is also easier to repair after an accident. For just about every other application I can think of, I would take an aluminum bed for light weight and corrosion resistance.

Here is a video showing how rocks can make holes in an aluminum bed. That's not because of inferior aluminum strength, it's the superior elasticity of steel.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve scraped unibody cars in the past because so much was rotted out underneath I thought they would crumple up if I hit a big bump, let alone what would happen in a rear end collision.
If cars where made of aluminum this wouldn’t be a problem.
My next truck will be an alumiduty.

D

Deleted member 9101

Aluminum is can be just as strong as steel and weigh less. It just has different properties. If I was going to be dumping buckets of rocks in the bed, definitely steel because it will bend before it will break. It is also easier to repair after an accident. For just about every other application I can think of, I would take an aluminum bed for light weight and corrosion resistance.

Here is a video showing how rocks can make holes in an aluminum bed. That's not because of inferior aluminum strength, it's the superior elasticity of steel.

I'd just get a rubber bed mat... Ooooor use a trailer ;-)

Explorerinil

Observer
Thanks for the useful input. More useful than from the various truck forums for this application.

I find the suicide doors and e-locker a pro. Got use to them with our Toyota.

The aluminum strength issue is probably more of a negative for me than any perceived corrosion benefit.

I like the simplicity of the 6 speed transmission over the 10. But then I was told yesterday at the dealer that the 10 speed jumped down to a 6 speed when in heavy tow mode. If that is true, the 10 speed seems even less important.

Have to talk to my favorite mechanic and get his input on the 7.3 ford over the 6.6 gm.

It will most likely get down to availability.
The 10 speed is tuned perfectly and will be the best shifting trans you have ever driven. On hills it will hold 10th gear. I just pulled my fishing boat about 200 miles today, stayed in 10th gear on the interstate at 70mph.

Explorerinil

Observer

Your dealer is a moron...lol. The 10 speed uses all 10 gears when towing. When your empty it will skip gears based on load and throttle input. If it will be more efficient to skip a gear, it will. If not, it won't.
You are 100% correct!

on a side note I think the aluminum body of the ford trucks is a selling point for me, don’t have to worry about rust.

Explorerinil

Observer
No rust but I expect there will be filiform corrosion. Not a structural problem except in extreme cases but can make that nice looking truck not nice.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Sure, how long will that take? At work we have a bunch of aluminum bodied ford trucks (2017+), they sit outside, are driven in salty roads and get washed about 3 times a year, all still look fine.

jadmt

ignore button user
My personal preference has always been for Ford and I still think (like the poster quoted above said) that they have the best overall HD consumer grade truck at the moment. I drive a RAM with a Cummins at the moment and while I think I am coming to prefer the CTD over the PSD in terms of characteristics, I still think that I prefer the cab and overall body of the Ford over the RAM. I get far better fuel economy with the Cummins but it doesn't have the get up and go that the V8 Powerstroke and Duramax have.

RAM is nipping at the heels of Ford in sales in recent years while GM seems to be slipping further and further from the pack and are now way back in distant third in this segment. Some prefer the better ride of the IFS on the GM but I will always take a straight axle on a HD truck and most fleets prefer them as well, there's just no denying the durability of the straight axle for the use/abuse they see.

Regardless of all of that, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Go test drive them all and set a budget and go from there. I'll only make fun of you if you buy the GM lol, jk, but not really.
Ford HD's just look like a truck should.

D

Deleted member 9101

No rust but I expect there will be filiform corrosion. Not a structural problem except in extreme cases but can make that nice looking truck not nice.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Class 8 trucks have had aluminum cabs and sleepers for 1/2 a century.... Definitely not a problem...lol.

Many of the exterior components of the two operational nuclear power plants here in Florida are aluminum... Zero problems and they are exposed to salt air 24/7.

Every boat trailer I've had was aluminum....not a single problem with corrosion...lol.

jadmt

ignore button user
I just got back from a 3000+ mile road trip and the fastest big trailer haulers without a doubt are duramax's. I was cruising the speed limits ie 80mph and duramax's flew by me pulling big 5th wheels like I was standing still. I never got passed by RAMS or Fords just Duramax's....I went from Western Montana to South East Minn thru both dakotas and Wyoming and I noticed a lot of new RAMs doing utility type work ie fires, oil/gas and agricultural type stuff. By far tho more GM trucks pulling big camp trailers and 5th wheels and seemed like Ford HD was hauling more slide in campers.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Ford outsells the other two combined. GM's are prevalent in the MidWest and North East, Ford rules the South and Central states and RAM rules the roost out west. Brand concentration is very much a regional presence thing. If I were never leaving pavement then I'd highly consider the GM options because the IFS ride is no joke but if you're going to see any dirt time then give me a straight axle up front. IMHO RAM still has the best diesel, GM has best ride and transmission and the Ford has the best interior and looks with RAM nipping at their heels in that department. I miss the get up and go of the V8 Powerstroke but the fuel economy in this Cummins more than makes up for it.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I think you need to drive the 3 and see which one you like the best. For some the entry height will matter, for others it won't. Some will like something about 1 interior versus another. Also I would make sure a dually can go where you want it to depending on your use.

I wouldnt base much on sales #'s because so much is done by the MFR's with fleet sales or whatever to make their claims they sell more or whatever. GM is always at a disadvantage with that with the Chevy/GMC "split". I read something where Chevy alone outsold Ford for the past year (not counting GMC). But that will all flip back now that GM is having to shut down lines with chip issues. Ultimately enough of each mfr are sold where you can find out the "problem" areas to watch for.

I have not seen the problems with GM IFS many talk about. Unless you are rock crawling I'm not sure it will matter. The tech has been out their long enough so if it was a major problem you would know.

I think they are all good vehicles. Drive each one, compare the options you want and get whichever one suitable YOU best based on your needs/wants. I agree with the above comment about getting an extended warranty. They are all complex machines and when they break stuff is expensive.

Also I know from friends they need to be driven hard from time to time. I think a lot of problems stem from not being worked. It's often against our nature to drive something hard we have paid for, but those higher temps are important to keeping the exhaust systems clean. Read a great article somewhere that the big rise in torque/HP over the past few years has been the new DEF systems where essentially the engine has been freed up for max torque because the pollutants created are handled in a completely separate system (the DPF etc.). It made sense to me, but it also means you need to be aware of each system and make sure they are being "kept up" well to extend their lives. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles