Which Lr3 Sump Guard

pgoodrich

Observer
I am looking to get a proper sump guard and wonder what why my fellow lr3 owners chose the one they purchased. I like how terrafirma extends back under the engine but don't know if things will get hot since it is not vented like mantec and front runner. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I've got the Terrafirma front skid and it is a solid protector with no worries of heat because there are plenty of gaps for air to cool. I've been to Moab wheeling in 90F+ heat with the air conditioning running all day and no probs, so put that one to bed now and decide which plate to slap on your D3.

I can say my skid plate has taken a beating from rocks and doesn't give, it's very solid.

psykokid

Explorer
There's a few guys down here in socal that are running the Asfir skid plate and sump guard. Another guy in the SCLR is running the Rasta skids on his LR3.

srschick

Adventurer
There's a few guys down here in socal that are running the Asfir skid plate and sump guard. Another guy in the SCLR is running the Rasta skids on his LR3.

unfortunately neither brand can be found new in the US anymore, necessitating expensive oversea shipping. :mad:

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have had the mantec since 2007 and has proven indestructible. Looks like Lucky8 still sells them: http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2237

IMG_8538.JPG

I powder-coated mine white.

morrisdl

Adventurer
The Mantec goes all the way back to the OEM skid. The terrafirma must replace it (unnecessarily).

srschick

Adventurer
so, the Mantec replace just the forward part (with extra protection up front), and works with the factory oil pan/transmission skid.
And with the TerraFirma, I would have to replace the oil/transmission plate if I still want protection for those?

I wonder what the pros/cons of doing either are.
obviously with the Mantec you save $ by only having to purchase the sump guard.
But does going with the TF and having to get the transmission guard provide better protection over the factory armor?

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Take a look at the Terrafirma skid plate. Covers more area than all the others. Why settle for an over priced, puny Mantec plate when you can have this for less?

SkidPlate.jpg

umbertob

Adventurer
But does going with the TF and having to get the transmission guard provide better protection over the factory armor?

What factory armor? The factory plates under oil pan and transmission might as well be made of cardboard for the protection they offer. I have the Asfir aluminum guard on the LR4, which extends pretty much all the way back to the first crossmember. It's a pity they no longer have a distributor in the US. The Terrafirma looks like a good alternative.
asfir3.jpg

Last edited:

srschick

Adventurer
What factory armor? The factory plates under oil pan and transmission might as well be made of cardboard for the protection they offer. I have the Asfir aluminum guard on the LR4, which extends pretty much all the way back to the first crossmember. It's a pity they no longer have a distributor in the US. The Terrafirma looks like a good alternative.

But does it cover the tranny? what about the TerrFirma? (I assume not, as they offer a $400 tranny plate)
IMO, The factory plate is better than nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior