Which land cruisers came factory with lockers?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ah yes, the regularly scheduled head gasket replacement.
How long is it supposed to last? The 1FZ has the same issue as the 22R, cast iron block, aluminum head, so HGs just don't last forever like they did with an all iron engine. I figure this was early in the cycle of Toyota designing engines like that so they hadn't completely nailed down how to deal with different rates of expansion and the right materials. If you use OEM HGs and are careful about not overheating them it's just something you do every 150K. Seriously, though, so you do a HG every 10 years the engine will run for 300k, 400k or more without a problem otherwise.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The head gasket isn’t a weak link. It’s a regular maintenance item. Just like a timing belt would be.

Ah yes, the regularly scheduled head gasket replacement...

I'm a big fan of the 80 - would still like to add one to the fleet. When I get one, it will be a southern rust free rig with high miles and hopefully a fresh head gasket. :)

But it is. That’s what’s recommended.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Great advice. I sat in a Jeep XJ last night and I’m thinking that option is a no go. Way to tight at my height of 6’5. Hopefully try out a Land Cruiser in the next week or so.

70 140

As someone above stated, factory lockers shouldn’t be your primary search criteria, I’d sooner have a better maintained or lower mileage truck.... but since the topic is about lockers, I’ve seen quite a few ads where the truck has them but they aren’t noted. Look at the photos. Ask for more if you can’t tell.

I just spent about 20 minutes on Craigslist and saw 6 - 80 series all under $7k with factory lockers. Here’s one in your part of the country: https://helena.craigslist.org/cto/d/1994-toyota-land-cruiser/6567879979.html

bj70_guy

Adventurer
These were 3.4 B series diesels with H55 five speed manuals. A lot of them have succumbed to rust, but they are still around. I can’t say for certain what percentage were equipped with lockers though.

I can - none. No factory lockers in can-spec BJ70s.

NCFJ

Adventurer
The head gasket isn’t a weak link. It’s a regular maintenance item. Just like a timing belt would be.

I do not buy this particular argument, just an excuse for a somewhat common issue. Using that logic, the entire motor is a maintenance item and I am replacing as many as I can, with GM V8s :) That was a joke in case you are wondering. The head gasket is an issue for a small percentage (so far)mof trucks, but still something to consider when buying an effected year 80 series.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I can - none. No factory lockers in can-spec BJ70s.

This is what I thought, since the few that I’ve been in and driven didn’t have them. I didn’t want to say “none” for sure and then have someone like yourself that owns one say “oh, mine has them”.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
If I were shopping for an 80 again, I'd factor in the cost of the ARB's and consider that as an equivalent option, provided the rear axle was still free floating. IIRC, the semi floating rear in 80;s was only for the 93-94 models as they were using up inventory from the 91-92 models, but I could be wrong about that.

93 is semi floating
94 is full floating

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
98 & 99 UZJ100 with rear locker are very undervalued right now. Can be had for <$10K (if not<$8K) For all purpose offroad exploration (I.E. Overlanding) and light to moderate "wheeling" they are a great oprtion to the FZJ80, but some people cannot get over the IFS. I have owned a '99 for 10 years now, best truck I've ever owned, period. I also own (2) FZJ80s, so I have good run rate of comparison.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
2003 UZJ100 last weekend with IFS and air lockers. Capable AF.

Attachments

• 31487005_10100352587066561_4098709650172542976_n.jpg
    31487005_10100352587066561_4098709650172542976_n.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 20
I have a triple locked 1993 FZJ80 and it has full floating rear axles. It also has the same AC setup as the 94 and later with the venerable dryer down low instead of high under the hood. 93 is an odd year with them transitioning through they year. It has 250K miles on it and has never had the head gasket replaced. I have had to replace 2 transmission solenoids, the kick down cable, and the front knuckles have been done twice at 120K intervals. Sunroof has been replaced as well due to broken cables inside the assembly.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
FWIW, my 93 with an 11/92 build date is full floating rear, the 2.2kw starter, rear heat (maybe they all had this) and cloth manual seats.

I went wheeling at an offroad park with a TLC club and one young guy was driving a 100 series with Atrac and maybe a 2" lift and BFG MT's. He went almost everywhere that the more built trucks went with only a little trouble in a few very difficult spots.

When I say built trucks, I'm talking about a locked 60 series with 6" lift and 37's, three Toyota rock crawler trucks with dual transfer cases and 305-37" tires, my 80 on 35s and 5" lift. His truck had 285 75s. IFS isn't weak in the larger trucks.

FWIW, my 93 with an 11/92 build date is full floating rear, the 2.2kw starter, rear heat (maybe they all had this) and cloth manual seats.

I went wheeling at an offroad park with a TLC club and one young guy was driving a 100 series with Atrac and maybe a 2" lift and BFG MT's. He went almost everywhere that the more built trucks went with only a little trouble in a few very difficult spots.

When I say built trucks, I'm talking about a locked 60 series with 6" lift and 37's, three Toyota rock crawler trucks with dual transfer cases and 305-37" tires, my 80 on 35s and 5" lift. His truck had 285 75s. IFS isn't weak in the larger trucks.

I have a 6/93 build date with power leather seats. I would love to find a manual set of seats and just put leather covers on them as they sit lower.

I go to Uwharrie quite frequently in my 80 and see 100's to there on 33's quite often and they do well.

ulyist

For someone new to land cruisers just a FYI. The Lexus LX (450/ 470/ 570) are very similar if not the same in many cases (mechanically speaking) and often times cheaper then the comparable land cruiser. Some pretty nice LX470s to be has for sub 10k out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles