Which Jeep Model & Why?

Interesting I ever thought of that. I wonder what it would have been like with the new 8spd auto? I just got out of a loaner base sport 6 spd manual. While it was fun the 8sp is epic next to it.

billiebob

I think the 3.8 was underatted, if anything.
It had some inherent design flaws. First it needed more revs to develop torque than the 4.0L or the 3.6L. And it consumed oil faster than any other "modern" engine. Some people never did an oil change since they were adding a litre so often. Things like spun bearings, coolant leaks and exhaust leaks were common. If you ignored these issues you were likely to kill it before 200K miles.

But the proof of it being a weak engine was Jeep/Chrysler retiring it in 2011.
It was also an old design first used in 1989.

But thru the 1990s it was used in every Chrysler car.
As common as the small block Chevy thru the 1970s

Last edited:

Gary crouch

Observer
2006 LJ for me... searched the country for a good one.. found it at a car lot in Indo CA of all places. Was owned by a car collector in Orange County... 51,000 miles, damm thing looks brand new inside and out. Other than not having all the power stuff, doors and locks it runs so strong. Paid 18k expensive but I think well worth it.
Site won't let me post picture something about not having an allowed extension...o well

Hristo34

When I shopped around a few years ago, I decided on a very well modified 6spd 05 LJ, which I felt offered the best value, all around ability, and ease to work on. Initially, it was used as a DD, however work now provides a vehicle so it no longer fills that role, but it did so just fine. I also use it for weekend wheeling and multi week trips, where it doubles as a camper. It really is a very versatile vehicle. It's biggest drawback, to me, is It's lack of range. My Titan Trekker tank helps a lot, but I wish it came stock with a larger tank.

The JKU is nice too. I have many miles in them, having driven a 3.8 up north to Tuktoyaktuk and back, but the added electronics worry me and the automatics seems to suffer from over heating issues. I'm not a fan of how the JKU seats fold down, and overall I find the vehicle a little too large, but some people like the extra space and set of doors.

If you like bells and whistles and a softer ride, as many have said something like a Grand Cherokee may be better. I like those too, and strongly considered one when shopping for my wife's vehicle, but their value plummets very quickly.

The newer Wranglers look nice but are ridiculously over priced, and outside the $25k range. Have you settled on something yet?

pittsburgh

tacocat
When I shopped around a few years ago, I decided on a very well modified 6spd 05 LJ, which I felt offered the best value, all around ability, and ease to work on. Initially, it was used as a DD, however work now provides a vehicle so it no longer fills that role, but it did so just fine. I also use it for weekend wheeling and multi week trips, where it doubles as a camper. It really is a very versatile vehicle. It's biggest drawback, to me, is It's lack of range. My Titan Trekker tank helps a lot, but I wish it came stock with a larger tank.

The JKU is nice too. I have many miles in them, having driven a 3.8 up north to Tuktoyaktuk and back, but the added electronics worry me and the automatics seems to suffer from over heating issues. I'm not a fan of how the JKU seats fold down, and overall I find the vehicle a little too large, but some people like the extra space and set of doors.

If you like bells and whistles and a softer ride, as many have said something like a Grand Cherokee may be better. I like those too, and strongly considered one when shopping for my wife's vehicle, but their value plummets very quickly.

The newer Wranglers look nice but are ridiculously over priced, and outside the $25k range. Have you settled on something yet?

The lack of range is the biggest reason I ever consider giving up my LJ, I ve gotten as bad as 9MPG and as good as 20 at 55MPH for 2 hours.

If there was a way to squeeze and average of 18-20MPG out of it I would be thrilled.

My father in laws JLU Rubicon with the 2.0 never seems to get worse than 21MPG and he's gotten better than 25MPG. I am curious to see how the new diesel does.

billiebob

The lack of range is the biggest reason I ever consider giving up my LJ, I ve gotten as bad as 9MPG and as good as 20 at 55MPH for 2 hours.

If there was a way to squeeze and average of 18-20MPG out of it I would be thrilled.

My father in laws JLU Rubicon with the 2.0 never seems to get worse than 21MPG and he's gotten better than 25MPG. I am curious to see how the new diesel does.
I changed tires from 33x10.50s to 7.50R16s and went from a best of 17mpg to average 22mpg on the highway.
5mpg just by changing tires, I increased the range between gas stops by 95miles.
On a 15 year old TJR.

DSC_0014.jpg

billiebob

Hey everyone,

I'm shopping for a new vehicle right now, and I wanted to get some opinions on what off-road/daily commuter I should look into. What Jeep model comes best equipped to handle the following:

1. The vehicle will be my every day commuter, but needs to have off-road capabilities.

2. Needs to be able to pull my inTech Pursue trailer (roughly 2,000 lbs loaded).

3. 4WD

4. Price - <= 25K

5. Used

Thanks in advance for your input.
so, what did you buy ?

gspfunk

The problem w/ the new diesel is the price tag. Someone did the math, and it would take over 200k miles just to break even on the upgrade cost. Outside of that, having a diesel Jeep would be ************. I’d love to have one.

billiebob

I only want to know how the 2.0 JL/JLU survives with that 48volt battery. The A/C loop plus the coolant loop under the frame scare me shitless. As if there is not enough to go wrong off road, now they heat and cool the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94