Which Jeep Model & Why?

MOguy

Explorer
I see you drive a TJ. Have you ever driven a newer Jeep JK, JL or WK with ELSD and 4lo traction control? If works amazingly well and will move the vehicle forward with opposing corner tires in the air. Lack of travel is one thing. Inability to continue to move forward is another.

My issue is with the suspension. I prefer more travel, not tires hanging. Not saying hanging tires and teeter-tottering is a bad thing.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
My issue is with the suspension. I prefer more travel, not tires hanging. Not saying hanging tires and teeter-tottering is a bad thing.

I agree. I'm just saying that it's not the deal breaker that you might think it is in this case.

This applies for non-locked JKs and JLs as well. My sport JK on ATs with the electronic traction control regularly embarrassed rear axle locked TJs and CJs on muddy hill climbs on the trails. It would just scratch it's way up when they would wiggle back and forth scrambling for traction. All you had to do is keep a little throttle and not let up.

Justincredible

Adventurer
If you can handle that it rides like a truck I absolutely recommend a JK. Best vehicle I've owned (out of 14).

I picked up my '12 JK in February of 2013, and other than wear items (fluids, filters, brakes, etc...) I have replaced 2 batteries and the thermostat. That's it. And most of the maintenance stuff is cheap and easy to do in your garage with basic hand tools.
120,000 miles. It's taken me to 22 national parks, done two 20+ hour drives (and a couple 12 hour drives topless). Spent most of its life lifted on 33s.

Yeah know that feeling i had sn 08 jkur spent 5 years on 33 5 on 34.5 lifted with ome hd sold it for 11500 with a 175000 on it still running strong boight a new jlur put on 34.5 no lift its so nice like my jkur reincarnated but better

CyberRube2

The ONLY Jeeps I would consider at all. LJ then TJ (Rubicon preferably). Then a YJ. Then XJ . The newer ones are scaring me. I keep hearing more and more issues about the newer Wranglers.

XJ's are trash IMO. The Engine/Tranny/T-Case is good but you pretty much have to fix everything else. The Rest of the vehicle is junk imo. And yes I had one. I've had all mix of Jeeps and honestly my new 2018 JL has the been the best so far. No problems whatsoever. A lot of issues I'm noticing from newer Wranglers are also new to Wrangler owners who are expecting a vehicle to drive like the Audi's and Lexus's they are coming from.

MOguy

Explorer
XJ's are trash IMO. The Engine/Tranny/T-Case is good but you pretty much have to fix everything else. The Rest of the vehicle is junk imo. And yes I had one. I've had all mix of Jeeps and honestly my new 2018 JL has the been the best so far. No problems whatsoever. A lot of issues I'm noticing from newer Wranglers are also new to Wrangler owners who are expecting a vehicle to drive like the Audi's and Lexus's they are coming from.

You have to be careful and avoid rust. They are unibody which is not the best but so are most the newer SUV/Crossovers. At least the XJ can be built for off roading. And they are cheap and plentiful. It isn't really far to compare a 2018 vehicle (as far as reliability) to an older vehicle. I would hope a 2018 vehicle would have no problems.

The issues I have seen with the new ones are electronic, and it has only been a few times. Issues with the front sway bar disconnecting, steering issues and limp issues (I think that is the word) if they get too wet. As far as driving characteristics? Some like it some don't.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Hey everyone,

I'm shopping for a new vehicle right now, and I wanted to get some opinions on what off-road/daily commuter I should look into. What Jeep model comes best equipped to handle the following:

1. The vehicle will be my every day commuter, but needs to have off-road capabilities.

2. Needs to be able to pull my inTech Pursue trailer (roughly 2,000 lbs loaded).

3. 4WD

4. Price - <= 25K

5. Used

Thanks in advance for your input.

1. What kinda of commute? HWY? Back roads? Alotta miles? What kind of off-road? We talking lockers and 35’sand challenging or mild?

GC is nice ride maybe too nice for tracking dirt in and out of.

Wrangler nice enough and clean leans up easier than a GC.

2. JKU or a GC wouldn’t be sweet and depndin*on options two that trailer.

4. 2wd jeeps shouldn’t exist in my opinion ?

5. Are you financing or buying in cash? Cause if financing I wouldn’t rule out a new base JLU I feel you can get a dealer to deal.

I love my LJ but it’s no highway jeep and I’ve only got 31’s and a 2.5 OME lift on it.

My double cab Tacoma is my daily driver and I chose it for my Moab trip because it was nicer to drive over the Rocky Mountains and it did very well at Chicken Corners.

My Jeep was for front range technical’ish trails.

I am sure someone has said this already but go test drive a JKU and GC which one can you see yourself in every day. Pick one and make mods to suit your wants and needs.

See the thing. The new jl is so comfortable it is my daily driver. Long trip hauler and off road explorer. And yes there are a lot of deals to be had. I bought a new pretty well loaded. ( did not get a hardtop). From Dennis Dillon. In Idaho. For 6k under dealer invoice. Check it out on jl wrangler. Forum. Not to be confused with wayalife

jadmt

ignore button user
See the thing. The new jl is so comfortable it is my daily driver. Long trip hauler and off road explorer. And yes there are a lot of deals to be had. I bought a new pretty well loaded. ( did not get a hardtop). From Dennis Dillon. In Idaho. For 6k under dealer invoice. Check it out on jl wrangler. Forum. Not to be confused with wayalife
or wranglerforum.com yes Dennis Dillon is incredible. I bought my 2018 Recon there and nobody comes close.

MOguy

Explorer
I don't understand why people have TJs that don't do well on the highway, what modifications have you done to screw them up?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
well I am obviously biased - I recommend the 2005 or 2006 Jeep LJ Unlimited Rubicon. For me I don't need the 2nd row of seats, and the extra space for gear and/or laying down to sleep is wonderful. I drove a 1997 TJ for 20 years and thought it was great, with the only other Jeep I would ever want over it was the LJ. Then my dream machine came on the market (2006 LJ Rubicon dark blue 6 speed manual) and I traveled across 1/2 the country to pick it up after buying it over the phone sight unseen. No regrets and have never looked back. Looked into it's weak points (Oil Pump Drive Assy, exhaust manifold bolts loosening) and addressed those right away. Living the life now in my LJ

IMHO, the LJ Rubicon is the best Wrangler ever made.

MOguy

Explorer
Never had a problem with electronics 175,000 miles on a 2008 jku

I have seen it a few times, not often. It was in mud/water. I haven't done allot of rougher wheeling with newer wranglers. The issues, electronic sway bar disconnect, a steering issue and a limb (?) mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior